What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FAB intake alignment (Spacer OK?)

AJ85WA

Well Known Member
Hi Guys

First of all, I am building a RV6 and the cowl is the older style where you need to attach the intake scoop yourself. My engine is a o-320 E2d and the carb is a Ma4 spa.

My problem is that when I have the scoop in the correct position the top plate of the FAB is 3/4" (18mm) higher than the scoop inlet. (I have noticed most builders end up lower:confused:

I believe the easiest way to fix this issue is to mill up a billet ali spacer to go between the carb and the FAB. In the picture I made a temp wood spacer to check what size I needed. (Is this ok? has anybody else done something like this?

DSC08582_zps50a1006b.jpg

That sounds like you might have an O-360 scoop rather than the O-320. The O-320 carb is about that much shorter than the O-360 carb.

360 scoop

Hi Doug

I did not know they were different but then I checked vans online and they do have a 320 scoop. Mine is written on 360:p

I still think I would like to use the 360 scoop incase I would like to upgrade some day.

Can't see it causing much more drag?
Would the spacer cause any problems? any comment would be greatly appreciated.

AJ

I believe the easiest way to fix this issue is to mill up a billet ali spacer to go between the carb and the FAB. In the picture I made a temp wood spacer to check what size I needed. (Is this ok? has anybody else done something like this?

exactly what I had to do. It is about 1/32 at the back and 3/32 at the front. I have a io-360 180 hp that required the shim to get it to match the cowl. I riveted it to the top of the FAB so it is not a separate piece.

The O-360 scoop is also required if you want to add fuel injection to the O-320 due to the servo length ( at least for the silver hawk). I doubt the larger scoop would add any significant drag.

I have no idea about the impact of such a spacer.

SPACER

I had to make a spacer for my O-320 when I switched from a standard carburetor to a Rotec TBI because the TBI unit was a about .75" shorter in height. I did not have any problems using a spacer. Instead of aluminum I used a piece to teflon and it worked out well.
80WD

Back