-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:47 PM

Thanks to all of the input, I have a baseline to start from. 1st, the top of the hole measures 7" from the lower longeron. Also, rudder deflection to the left is 31/8" from the elevator. Nowhere near 11/8"! The top of the pedals appear to be mounted in the forward-most set of holes. The pedals have what looks like a 10degree cant when centered.
Seems like I have two options. I can lengthen both attach links and set the pedals to vertical and see how that helps or lengthen the former hole like you suggested airtractor. I'll wait for your picks before I make a choice.

Thanks for the help gents!
KFFC
Carpe Diem!
Old 12-14-2012, 02:41 PM

Thr right rudder pedals are mounted on the fwd cross bar. When the right pedal is allowed to move this far rearward, the tab that the top of the master cylinder bolts to, will hit the left rudder cross bar and stop at that point.

Making longer links will resolve this issue.
VAF #897 Warren Moretti
2020 =VAF= Dues PAID
Old 12-14-2012, 03:25 PM

Smile

Straighten everthing up and make links to fit....
RV-6A N61GX - finally flying
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ
Old 12-14-2012, 07:52 PM

Here is a couple of pretty poor quality pics I took for you today on my phone to illustrate what I mean. I have seen those pass through holes slotted over an inch on more than one RV6. It is also a good idea to install the two screws that hold the cable to the pedal with the thread facing the fuselage skin. This stops your feet and shoe laces getting tangled in the cotter keys and breaking the tails of the cotter keys off. If I recall correctly this actually happened to an RV4 some time ago.

Last edited by airtractor8 : 12-14-2012 at 08:08 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:10 PM

Default Some good suggestions by Airtractor8

Notice Airtractor8 link length. Probably at least double or triple the OP's picture. Might be due to where pedals were mounted. Suggest the OP clamp neutral rudder, disconnect links, zip tie cable to pedal hole. Start by loosely cinching the pilot zip tie until cable is snug and pedal is more vertical. Clamp the bottom of the pilots left and right pedal together, then put a zip tie through co pilot pedal and cable and cinch it lightly snug. Unclamp the rudder and pedals, excercise the pedals and see what that gives you. You can slowly cinch up each zip tie to try canting the pedals further aft. Stop when you've got it feeling right and no hang up and hopefully hitting rudder stops on each side. Measure the distance between cables and pedal mounting holes and make new links using that length. I'm just guessing your links will at least double in length. If that doesn't fix it, I'd do just what Airtractor8 did to get rid of the binding problem. Neat idea about reversing the cotter pin locations.
Wendell VAF#1832
RV-6A 3/4 done...N48JE Reserved
Build site: www.mykitlog.com/weneng
Donated to VAF in 2021
Old 12-17-2012, 01:29 PM

Default The fix point is on the back and not on the front!

Hello,

I have exactly the same problem and my buddy also. I studied it for a while. First I also thought that it has to do with the link's lenght. But I found out that this is wrong due to the following reason:

- The FIX point is in the rear, at the attachpoint at the rudder.

From there it is always the same lenght to the bulkhead with the bushing, regardless where the pedal's are.

The only fix would be: VANS make the cable 1/2" longer!

Or you order them by ACS.

Regards, Dominik
Old 12-17-2012, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisseagle View Post
Hello,

I have exactly the same problem and my buddy also. I studied it for a while. First I also thought that it has to do with the link's lenght. But I found out that this is wrong due to the following reason:

- The FIX point is in the rear, at the attachpoint at the rudder.

From there it is always the same lenght to the bulkhead with the bushing, regardless where the pedal's are.

The only fix would be: VANS make the cable 1/2" longer!

Or you order them by ACS.

Regards, Dominik
Thats true and I thought that as well at the time but they haven't done it yet! Sometimes you have to work with what you have
Old 12-17-2012, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beberle View Post
I'm having a problem with rudder travel. Right rudder is fine, the clevis just hits the snap bushing in the left bulkhead. After much research, I'll be adding the split tubing to smooth that out.

However, Left rudder travel seems to be limited either by rudder cable length or because the right bulkhead hole is too low. The clevis body doesn't move far enough aft to hit the snap bushing because of cable tension.

Any thoughts?
Remember what the OP was saying........ left rudder travel is restricted. It's not a case of shorter or longer cables.
VAF #897 Warren Moretti
2020 =VAF= Dues PAID
Old 12-17-2012, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Thanks to all of the input, I have a baseline to start from. 1st, the top of the hole measures 7" from the lower longeron. Also, rudder deflection to the left is 31/8" from the elevator. Nowhere near 11/8"! The top of the pedals appear to be mounted in the forward-most set of holes. The pedals have what looks like a 10degree cant when centered.
Seems like I have two options. I can lengthen both attach links and set the pedals to vertical and see how that helps or lengthen the former hole like you suggested airtractor. I'll wait for your picks before I make a choice.

Thanks for the help gents!
Brian, Did you check this.........
"The right rudder pedals are mounted on the fwd cross bar. When the right pedal is allowed to move this far rearward, the tab that the top of the master cylinder bolts to, will hit the left rudder cross bar and stop at that point. Making longer links will resolve this issue."
VAF #897 Warren Moretti
2020 =VAF= Dues PAID
Old 12-18-2012, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
Remember what the OP was saying........ left rudder travel is restricted. It's not a case of shorter or longer cables.
Quote:
I'm having a problem with rudder travel. Right rudder is fine, the clevis just hits the snap bushing in the left bulkhead. After much research, I'll be adding the split tubing to smooth that out.

However, Left rudder travel seems to be limited either by rudder cable length or because the right bulkhead hole is too low. The clevis body doesn't move far enough aft to hit the snap bushing because of cable tension.

Any thoughts?
Seems to me the problem is two fold. Fixing the cable tension problem by moving the pedals forward as others have suggested will still leave you with the cable clevis hitting the bulkhead snap bushing at full right or left rudder. A longer cable would certainly fix that but is the more expensive option fore sure .