- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:01 AM

Default Identifying G-forces?

Hello my name is Stan and I’m a recovering utility category spam driver.

Admittedly, I yank on my deprived girl (RV-4) like she’s a C-152 because I don’t have experience identifying G-forces (or an instrument to do so.)

While shopping for a g-meter I happened to think that the accelerometer in my phone (Droid Razr) may be just as accurate (without having to saw another hole, wire the device and spend the $$.)

Does anyone have experience flying w/a smart phone G-force app? Anyone happen to have a hard mounted phone and a G-meter in their dash that could run a comparison? Or perhaps a way to verify the device readings?

The attached picture is my setup of Droid Razr w/Otterbox Defender case w/Ram mount typically used for the Garmin Pilot software.

My end goal is to expand my flight envelope w/greater pulls while staying well within the design requirements. Advice on how to get there is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by designerX : 12-12-2012 at 10:07 AM.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:41 AM

I've written a couple of Android applications that use the g-meter. It possibly varies phone to phone, and there is some conversion for orientation that is up to the app developer. So you'd want to test a _particular_ application against your plane to know for sure.

One of my applications was used for lab testing of a vehicle and the readings were within a percent of the expensive instrument we used to use.

But once you've tested phone X with app Y, I'd trust it just as much as the g-meter in my panel.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:21 AM

I only have a single experience comparing the G value indicated on a smart phone to other measuring equipment. In that case the reading was quite accurate but it maxed out at about 2 G's (I don't know what model phone it was).
Old 12-12-2012, 11:47 AM

Default belite micro insturments?

might be worth a look at these lightweight instruments from Belite....$99 ain't to bad?

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...es/belite6.php

caution #1; I found some info which sounded like they weren't in this business anymore, so support may be a question.
#2;
something odd going on with their web page to...comes up as a 'threat' risk on my virus scan thingy.
perhaps it's just me.

Last edited by flyboy1963 : 12-12-2012 at 11:53 AM. Reason: add url to acs
Old 12-12-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
I only have a single experience comparing the G value indicated on a smart phone to other measuring equipment. In that case the reading was quite accurate but it maxed out at about 2 G's (I don't know what model phone it was).
I've tried a number of different android phones - they went to 6G no prob. (The gui the app developer chose is probably the biggest limit)
Old 12-12-2012, 05:17 PM

I tried using the g-meter app for iPhone/iPod on my iPod touch, but gave up pretty quickly; it was too sensitive, i.e. completely undamped, and the result was it constantly oscillated between -1 and +2 g's in relatively smooth air, flying straight and level. Ended up buying a used conventional gauge and mounting it on the center windshield support and am much happier.
O-360 A1A, Sensenich FP prop

Those who think any system is foolproof greatly underestimate the ingenuity of fools
Old 12-12-2012, 07:34 PM

Default It ain't free..

but you can always upgrade your Dynon D6 to a D10A, which will provide you with a G-meter, among other cool features.

From Dynon's site:
The EFIS-D6 may be upgraded to the EFIS-D10A for $800. This requires that the EFIS-D6 be returned to Dynon. Some of the functions that are added with the full-featured EFIS-D10A are a full HSI and glideslope with connectivity to GPS and NAV radios, autopilot, networking between Dynon EFIS and EMS products, heading and altitude bugs, checklists, data logging, clock, timers, OAT and GPS derived data, and altitude alerts. See our complete EFIS feature comparison chart for more information on the differences between models.
RV-8 (sold)
Xtreme Decathlon (borrowing)
Old 12-13-2012, 12:56 AM

When I was learning aerobatics I got used to the "feel" of 2G with 60 degree banked turns. A 60 degree banked turn at constant speed and constant altitude will require 2G.

Similarly, a 70 degree turn will give you 3G, and 75 4G. It's harder to identify a 75 degree turn accurately, especially considering at 4G it's unlikely you'll be able to maintain speed. But initially it will get you an idea what the G-forces are. And may be enough to "calibrate" your Android.

I find my iPhone to be usable if I have a "damped" G-meter. Good for holding constant G, but not so useful due to the lag for doing actual aerobatics. Turn the damping off, and you have the same problem reported earlier, it bounces around too much.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:17 PM

If someone will volunteer to look around the Android market to see if there is a suitable G meter: I'll promise the following. If you can't find such a thing (after a fair amount of looking) - send me a note and I'll write one and upload it (I'll include enough but not too much damping ;-))
Old 12-13-2012, 08:32 PM

Default Mount

Great thread I've been eyeing g meters too but overlooked the iPhone because I thought it would be too inaccurate.

You mention you have a ram mount, what kind exactly and how did you mount it ? Thanks