Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 12-10-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetguy View Post
Great Job David and Dave!
John, this Dave Valcek's creation. Can't take credit for this. The one I am currently testing is different in that it is a flap that is hinged at the bottom and either fully covers or uncovers the oil cooler and as i stated previously, it does not address the enroute oil temps. If the weather ever clears here, Dave will test his creation and let us know. We are considering fabricating a larger damper for the Rotax of the same design. Truthfully, we are thinking that there might be too much area covered by the Van's part making it useful only in the coldest of climates, but we will know soon. Keep ya'll posted. Dave has some pics of the one I am using, maybe he can post them?
N588DF RV12 #336 built, sold and alive and well in New York
N73DF RV12 #244 built, sold and alive and well in Florida
N91 RV RV9 I wish I could say I built this one! Mark Santoleri hit the ball out of the park on this gem.

Last edited by Dave12 : 12-10-2012 at 04:23 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:23 PM

Default Dave Farmers cover

Dave I posted a few pics of your oil cooler cover.

david@rv12pilot.com
2021 VAF Supporter

RV12 #568 EAB
* Started 9/30/2011
* 1st flight 8/30/12

http://www.rv12pilot.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/dvalcik
Old 12-10-2012, 09:53 PM

Nice looking shutter system. It will provide good manual control but as others have noted, always blocks some flow and can have a bad failure mode. For those moving from a "traditional" RV with a similar system or a complex airplane with cowl flaps, this is a good choice.

Tape is cheap and effective, but is not controllable from cockpit, looks like **** and doesn't help warm up time that much. Did I mention that its cheap? Down side is that dumb pilots sometimes forget to take the tape off when a warm spell hits, then are surprised when the oil temp hits 240 on climb out. Not that this ever happened to me....

Oil thermostat is great for minimizing warm up time, requires no manual control (no forgetting to take the tape off when it warms up), but is expensive and harder to install. Highly recommended by many Rotax shops and very common on some S-LSAs.

There is no perfect solution. For those living in areas where it rarely freezes, tape probably works best. Outside that, thermostat or shutter, depending on whether you want to do it yourself or have the thermostat do it for you.

TODR
Old 12-11-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave12 View Post
John, this Dave Valcek's creation. Can't take credit for this. The one I am currently testing is different in that it is a flap that is hinged at the bottom and either fully covers or uncovers the oil cooler and as i stated previously, it does not address the enroute oil temps. If the weather ever clears here, Dave will test his creation and let us know. We are considering fabricating a larger damper for the Rotax of the same design. Truthfully, we are thinking that there might be too much area covered by the Van's part making it useful only in the coldest of climates, but we will know soon. Keep ya'll posted. Dave has some pics of the one I am using, maybe he can post them?
You have to consider the area taken by the fin structure versus free air. I think it works out (as I remember). Several of us around here has used the Van's sliding system on our Lyc 320/360s where summer temps reach the mid 90's & winters in the 20's. It's worked well.