-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:02 AM

Nice mod ... (sure wish my RV-8 had it )
Old 12-03-2012, 12:10 PM

Cool

Your crafsmanship look great! I wish I had ordered the match drilled fuselage, but they came out a month after my order shipped. Keep up the great work!
Old 12-03-2012, 09:44 PM

Talking Question for Glen

Quote:
Originally Posted by humptybump View Post
My compressor tank is at 175 psi, my lines are at 150 psi and most of my drops are 120 psi (the exception being the pain shop which is most often at 60 psi)
Glen,

I just HAVE to ask... since I don't have one of these rooms... just what goes on in there anyway?? Drilling holes through your finger? Accidents with the rivet squeezer? Dropping bucking bars on your toes? Dungeons & Dragons?

INQUIRING MINDS WANNA KNOW

hahaha
http://www.BrucesRV7A.com
Old 12-04-2012, 05:39 AM

LOL ! The "pain shop" is where I go when I start getting full of myself, thinking I can do no wrong and am capable of magic. Needless to say, that room sets me right is short order. One of the last things out of that room was not part of my RV-8 but a worthy project all the same -> the box.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:43 AM

Tony - start thinking about the panel now!

I'm not saying you should be thinking about what equipment you will use. Rather, realize you can't read the future so plan that you WILL change your panel SOONER OR LATER. (ugh).

Do a little "future-proofing". Trust me, I've been climbing around in a finished RV-8. It's not for us bigger order men.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:55 AM

Glen, thanks for the tip. I am aware that the future will require maintainence, my current RV proves it. I have made, and plan to make more mods on my build to allow for easy access to all components but I do get discouraged thinking about the mountain of work ahead of me while I tinker with a mod. Following the plan takes a long time, incorporating a mod takes FOREVER.

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)
Old 12-04-2012, 04:21 PM

Gear tower parts ready for primer. I usually don't prime all parts but since this will be painted I figured I might as well prime everything.

Took a scothbrite pad to the powder coated weldments along with some 320 grit. Seems like it worked fine.

Coming together!

There is a ton of work to do with these towers. I was hoping it would go faster but it hasn't....

Getting ready for final riveting.....

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)
Old 12-04-2012, 04:30 PM

After all this work I find out I made a mistake. Instruction call for clecoing the towers to the forward floor, well. the holes did NOT line up!!

Did Van's misalign the holes? Do I have a bad floor? Is this common? What is the fix? On to VAF, emergency situation! Find my answer rather quickly. David Dormier has his build on here and he made the same mistake I did. I had the floor angles installed improperly....

This aft bracket has 6 holes and is correct.

This one only has 5 which is WRONG!!

Here we go....

Drill out rivets, remove the carefully torqued bolts, etc etc!

Ok...that's better! The holes line up.

Almost had a heart attack.

Started final riveting!! FINALLY!

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)
Old 12-11-2012, 04:04 PM

Moving forward preparing the mid cabin braces.

Finished riveting the gear towers and adding the braces.

Preparing forward fuse assembly/baggage area.

Ready for riveting.

There is one thing I want to do here while I have complete access. I want to add a panel access door that so many have done before. I have worked underneath my -7A panel before and I suspect working under an -8 panel would be even worse. This mod will allow access through a door behind the panel.

First step, remove the webbing from the upper bulkhead.

This should be an easy task after you get it all drawn up but for some reason, my Sioux die grinder doesn't do a very good job. It bogs down and is weak. (The air is set at 90+ psi) Anyway, it took awhile.

All cleaned up!

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)
Old 12-11-2012, 04:20 PM

Now I have to make the doubler to add some strength back to the upper bulkhead.

Ready to go and playing with hinge alignement.

The door!

Ready to prime!

Other builders say this mod takes about a half a day. Well, I must be slow because it took me most of the day and that was just fabricating and preparing the parts for riveting.

The next morning I riveted the doubler to the bulkhead and clecoed the door and hinge to the assembly. Only thing left to do is drill for and install nutplates to fasten the door closed.

I thought I had nice spacing and everything was going smooth until I turned the part over.....

Calm down....think it through...Ok, I just need to remove the doubler and make it a bit wider. This will allow me to still use the bulkhead and the door. So I drill out the rivets and go to work on a new doubler. As if this mod hasn't taken me long enough!! Deviating from the plans SUCK!!

Here we go....

MUCH BETTER!

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)
Closed Thread