-POSTING RULES
-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > RV Firewall Forward Section > Traditional Aircraft Engines
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2012, 08:50 PM

Default O-320 oil screen to oil filter retrofit recommendations?

The O-320 in my relatively-new-to-me 9A is from 1954 - even pre suffixes like A1A, etc - and has an oil screen instead of an oil filter. I'm considering having a retrofit kit put on for a filter (I would welcome a 50 hour interval between changes instead of the 25 hours for the oil screen setup), but there are several kits available, and I'm looking for recommendations - both in terms of what to expect or look out for generally, and for any specific models.

Thanks!
Old 11-24-2012, 11:04 AM

Default Same situation

I have the same situation and fave considered switching. I guess any remote type that is approved for the engine you have should be good.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:58 AM

Smile

If the standard Lycoming oil filter will not interfere with your engine mount, then why not use the Lycoming part number?

This lycoming SSP gives the numbers and installation details...

http://www.7ts0.com/manuals/lycoming/EMOFK.pdf

A PMA part is $158 and only needs a short stud, gasket and nuts/washers to complete the kit...

http://www.aeroinstock.com/products/...ail/index.html

The one stud needed is oversize at one end and is fairly pricey at $32

http://www.titancylinders.com/pages/...il.aspx?in=273

Every thing else is standard, cheap and easy to get...
RV-6A N61GX - finally flying
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ

Last edited by az_gila : 11-24-2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 04:02 PM

There are several styles available, the choice is will they all fit? Beyond that, the difference is the amount of mess each makes when the filter is changed.

The straight Lycoming version - filter sticks out horizontally backwards - can usually only be fitted if the recess in the firewall has been fitted.

The 90* offset version - filter points to (usually) the left side of the engine - can interfere with the engine mount, so sometimes needs a spacer (say 1.5"), filter adapter and spacer are made by ECi, B&C and others. I think these adapters use 2 angles for the filter - when viewed from the rear of the engine. I have used one that puts the filter at the 11 o'clock position.
This isn't an RV engine - there is more space between the engine and firewall on most RVs

Remote filter, as sold by Airwolf. This is probably the most expensive as a pair of high pressure -8 hoses are required to connect the adapter that bolts to the engine to the remote filter head. The benefit is that the filter can mounted anywhere (within reason). Note - in this photo the 2 oil fittings in the adapter have not been aligned to their final position - they should both point in about the same direction!
This isn't the same engine as the one above

I have used all 3. The 90* offset type makes the least mess at oil change time, as long as a plastic bag with no vent holes in the bottom is used to catch the filter.

Peter

Last edited by penguin : 11-24-2012 at 04:22 PM. Reason: added photos
Old 11-24-2012, 04:18 PM

On my old O-290-D2 I changed the screen to a filter, like you want to do.

The O-290 uses the same accessory case as the O-235, O-320, & O-360 so the change should have been simple. Only one problem, the first accessory case I installed was set up for a fuel pump and a screen. At that time, I had not decided on switching to a filter, so no big deal.

Bad mistake because that accessory case could not accommodate the oil filter adapter.

So, what I'm saying is that you MAY have to change the accessory case. Also, when I installed my filter adapter, I didn't need a spacer but I did need a restrictor plate. Mahlon helped me out with the part numbers, all of which Here is the link to my engine page, check it out for some details included in the conversion.

The angle adapters I used on the O-290 and the new O-360 were both from ECi and did not require a spacer to get around the engine mount. The O-290 was a conical mount and the O-360 is a Dynofocal 1 mount.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 11-24-2012, 06:39 PM

Thanks - I will make some measurements and see if that pushes me toward one solution or another.

Outside of differing messes during the oil changes and different intervals between changes, are there any operational difference between having a screen, the horizontal filter, or the 90* filter? It looks like the 90* arrangement may allow oil to drain out of the filter when the engine isn't running - does this affect lubrication one way or the other during engine start?
Old 11-25-2012, 03:07 AM

My view is that the important thing is to have a filter, it is only installation issues that decide which type of adapter. With a filter the oil will be much cleaner and your engine will much longer - the screen doesn't really filter out the small stuff that does the damage over time. Your oil temps may also drop slightly with a filter. I haven't seen a particular delay in oil pressure coming up on start with a 90* adapter - there are valves to prevent the oil running out of the filter.

Pete
Old 11-25-2012, 09:00 AM

I've seen several engines go past TBO with nothing but screens. The mesh is fine enough to catch the junk that matters. So I would hesitate to change. That said you could give me a right-angle filter adapter for free, and I wouldn't use it. Almost would rather have the screen.

Please don't PM me! Email only!

Bob Japundza CFI A&PIA
N9187P PA-24-260B Comanche, flying
N678X F1 Rocket, under const.
N244BJ RV-6 "victim of SNF tornado" 1200+ hrs, rebuilding
N8155F C150 flying
N7925P PA-24-250 Comanche, restoring
Not a thing I own is stock.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by az_gila View Post
If the standard Lycoming oil filter will not interfere with your engine mount, then why not use the Lycoming part number?

This lycoming SSP gives the numbers and installation details...

A PMA part is $158 and only needs a short stud, gasket and nuts/washers to complete the kit...

The one stud needed is oversize at one end and is fairly pricey at $32

Every thing else is standard, cheap and easy to get...
Gil,

Thank you for posting these links, especially the one to the Lycoming SSP! This is helpful to a newbie like me. My engine came with a bare mounting pad on the accessory case and I need an adapter. I've been wondering where the best place is to get one. The only one Vans offers is the 90? adapter, and by the time you add the spacer, the sticker shock bowls you over.

I will still need the Vernatherm, though, correct? Any ideas where to get one of those for a good price? The only ones I've found ran over $400.
http://www.BrucesRV7A.com
Old 11-26-2012, 04:22 PM

I remember, but can't find an article from the nineties that compared filtering efficiency of the screen, a champion filter, and the Airwolf remote. There was hardly any difference.