Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12/RV-12iS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2012, 03:41 PM

Default Transition Training made Great

My dad and i went to Denton for the transition training offered. I will be the pilot flying the -12, but "chief builder #1" tagged along for insight and information.

John and Colin were more than welcoming and a great powerpoint to start the training. Lots of valuable info there. The temps were in the triple digits during the day, so we spent the afternoon looking at N1212K and comparing notes on items that we are currently finishing up. They opened the plane up and showed us some good tips and tricks. I won't tell all their secrets, but we have dubbed it the "RV-12 Skunkworks". HA.

The next morning, we headed out for an early start to avoid the heat. Most of my time is in 150/152's 172's,182's,Piper Warrior's and some multi time in a Baron E-55. The -12 is a nimble airplane. "Nimble like a Miata" The rotax has a punch to it, even loaded w/ 2 people and 15g of fuel. Even being an LSA, it is still a high performing aircraft for it's category and you still have to stay ahead of it. Plan your decent and approaches. It will float, but not bad when your on your numbers. Treat every T/O as a soft field and it works great. the -12 is a great airplane and i have no doubts it will be a capable XC machine as well as a Sunday flyer.

I flew for about 2 hrs with John, Ins. only required 1, but 2 had me comfortable in the airplane and was good prep for our soon coming first flight. John is a very capable CFI and from my perspective had good habits in the airplane. I would recommend Colin or John to anyone looking at this type of training for their -12. It makes sense, you spend a great amount of time and $$$ on the project, finish it properly and learn all you can about flying it. Plan the cost of this right into the project, don't skimp on your training or safety and make ELSA or EAB pilots look bad (not that i'm finger pointing, but when a "homebuilt" aircraft crashes, the reaction from the public is "Of course it did, a guy who didn't know what he was doing built in his basement!!!".) Even as a Sport Pilot or Private Pilot, you can approach flying as a professional (this makes passengers happy) and keep high standards for yourself. (The tie is optional!!!! haha) And, keep flying fun.

I have been speaking with our local FSDO about our upcoming A/W inspection and over the course of conversation, the inspector was "very pleased to hear" that I would be receiving transition training.

A big thanks to both John and Colin for their time and ability to do what they do. Their goal is to prepare -12 builders into safe and capable -12 flyers

I'll have some more detail of the training in a blogspot post on the build site

Complete!!

Chief builder #1 had some -12 instruction too

RV-12 #328
At 630 Hrs on the Hobbs
Old 07-01-2012, 03:55 PM

Default Kalewis transition training

Glad you and your dad had a great time and experience. Their plane does perform perform well. Sounds like your trip was as much fun as mine. It is hard to think of this as transition training, since it is so much fun. But the fact is John and Collin do provide very professional and valuable training.

Will you be going to Oshkosh this year?
david@rv12pilot.com
2021 VAF Supporter

RV12 #568 EAB
* Started 9/30/2011
* 1st flight 8/30/12

http://www.rv12pilot.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/dvalcik
Old 07-01-2012, 04:13 PM

Default that is the plan

-- hope to be there for 2 or 3 days, most likely Thurs Fri and Sat. We have our A/W scheduled for July 20th, so that bit the 1st weekend off...but we are not complaining.

RV-12 #328
At 630 Hrs on the Hobbs
Old 10-04-2012, 09:11 AM

Thumbs up Another one on his way to Success!

Paul Johnson successfully completed transition training in North Texas! He will be flying with with His Father, Paul Sr in the Salt lake City and Payson AZ area.

1020 Hours as of 9/30/2017
Johnrv12@icloud.com
RV14 Wing, arrived and building at Rdog's new Hanger at 16X
S/N 140014

Last edited by Jetguy : 10-04-2012 at 11:57 AM.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:00 AM

Thumbs up Congrats Paul

Welcome to the club, I am sure you had a great experience and fun too! Paul I am sure you will agree that John and Colin provide a very professional training environment and you get to fly a sweet RV12

John I think the new parlor game based on the "six degrees of separation will be to substitute Kevin Bacon and insert JetGuy.
david@rv12pilot.com
2021 VAF Supporter

RV12 #568 EAB
* Started 9/30/2011
* 1st flight 8/30/12

http://www.rv12pilot.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/dvalcik
Old 10-17-2012, 11:15 PM

Is it possible to get transition training if one is looking to buy but does not yet own an RV12?
Old 10-18-2012, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtB View Post
Is it possible to get transition training if one is looking to buy but does not yet own an RV12?
I did mine with Jan Bussell in his 6A as a prospective buyer. Closing the deal on a 7A after a long search for the right aircraft... Can't wait to finally own an RV!

Build: http://hhav8or.blogspot.com/
Old 10-18-2012, 06:37 AM

Thumbs up RV12 Transition training!

KurtB sent you an email!
Johnrv12@icloud.com
S/N 140014

Last edited by Jetguy : 10-18-2012 at 07:30 AM.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:06 PM

Thumbs up Another Happy Pilot on his way to Success!

Robert just completed his transition training. He will be flying around Troy Indiana. He should
receive his Airworthiness Certificate within a couple of weeks.

Johnrv12@icloud.com
S/N 140014
Old 11-17-2012, 12:07 AM

Default RV-12 Training in North Texas

I recently completed my RV-12 transition training with Jetguy flying out of Denton airport in Denton, Texas. This was an extremely pleasurable experience and I highly recommend this to any other pilots that are getting ready to fly their RV-12 for the first time.

I have had very little seat time during the building process but now I feel much more confident in my ability to handle my first solo flight in N912TR. John is very thorough in his syllabus and covers all the important skills needed to make your first flight a successful and memorable one. The aircraft is in immaculate condition and flying in North Texas in November can be very pleasant with afternoon temperatures in the high 60's.

Here I am prior to one of our afternoon transition training sessions - thanks again John, AKA Jetguy.