camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Activity Specific > Trip Write-ups
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2012, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humptybump View Post
Some day I would like to experience the RV-9. "Stable" sounds very nice

My RV-8 is definitely not stable enough to fly hands off for more than a few seconds. Fully trimmed, just shifting my weight to reach behind me and the plane starts to bank or pitch.
I can arrange a ride in a 9, when you're ready...if Vlad doesn't beat me to it.
RV-9A 702DA (reserved) Finish Kit IOX-340
www.propjock.com

Last edited by Don : 11-12-2012 at 09:13 AM. Reason: added something
Old 11-14-2012, 06:56 PM

Default Forward to Spaceport America!

From Benson I headed to Las Cruses NM first. I need some consulting on Spaceport operations. Run low on oxygen too.

Passed a playa. Great landing site. They say Burning Man has similar surface .

A bit north from here there is a great place for rent (on VAF front page today)

Shortly after I landed at Las Cruses, NM and was met by Don and Russ my space advisors. Don is building RV-9A and is a CFI, Russ is already flying his 9.

Don briefed me on status of restricted areas and their altitudes. Then local fbo filled my oxygen bottle for $45 to half the capacity. Their equipment couldn't handle pressure over 1K psi better then nothing. But 45? Kind of steep. I took off and tuned to ABQ approach.

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:18 PM

Niet! - said Approach. ALL IS HOT! Can I climb over Sir maybe? NO, I DON'T THINK SO. I wish I had tkatc onboard. A thought crossed my mind to tell them I have a sack of cash for Mr Branson to buy a turrist space slot. Don said it's not going to work.

Having half tank of fresh O2 I started climbing.

Reached maximum allowed VFR altitude and stayed along R-border.

No missiles were flying out of White Sands, no dog fights, nothing.

I think they kept Russian off their private Baikonur on purpose. Forget low pass I just enjoyed view from inner space.

To get to outer space you have to pay 200K but to reach inner space it cost only $20 the view is not much different then from Space Ship Two. Am I right? Take a look.

Last edited by Vlad : 11-14-2012 at 07:21 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:42 PM

Spent good half hour on Spaceport Watch and headed to Moriarty the place Gary Palinkas suggested in case I need low no-budget overnight.

My tach was happy.

Me too. Glider Capital of the World. Moriarty, NM. Winds were howling along multi mile runway. Third of it was marked inop.

The place was total modesty. Who was there knows.

Met a pilot with nice half polished Cessna-140 he was heading to Tucson for their annual thing. Are you the guy who built the plane in an apartment? I want a picture... Good thing his camera backfired and it was getting really dark. He was first for crew car but I was first to occupy the terminal. He gave me a ride to the town to get a bite and settled at Holiday Inn himself. Forgot your name buddy if it happens you are reading this thank you very much.

This was my quarters.

Winds were howling all night. Some strange creaking sounds and some banging on the roof. Scary. Then after midnight somebody punched the code and entered the terminal... It was sheriff. "Just checking if everything is OK you may want to close those curtains everybody does". After he left I couldn't sleep anymore. Went outside to check the plane and tie down. Took a flashlight. Left main tire pressure was low. Need to wait till sunrise shower would help. Kitchenette had no coffee...

Last edited by Vlad : 11-14-2012 at 08:13 PM. Reason: sp
Old 11-14-2012, 08:06 PM

$45???

You owe me some free lunches bubba!!

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)
Old 11-14-2012, 08:26 PM

Ah, nice....

I've anchored here - the only natural deep water harbor between San Diego and somewhere much farther north.

I was told that the curved jetty was built by ballast rocks from the clipper ships.

Paddling the kayak around that harbor on a moonless night is a truly dark experience. But when I found myself out at the entrance (hidden under Vlad's left wing) it was obvious - next stop Asia. I turned around and went back to my sailboat.

Dave
Old 11-15-2012, 12:52 PM

Thanks for the great report Vlad!!!!
RV4 N97RT (sold)
Old 11-16-2012, 07:32 PM

Will I ever finish this write up? Sure but not today

Moriarty got me thinking. Four more fuel loads to burn, almost 50 hours already flown without oil change, left main tire seems losing air and weather at Key West is not for VFR pilot. I am in NM. Somewhat tired. Why don't I fly home, change oil, take a good sleep and go to Key West afterwards? Am I smart and efficient decision maker?

Heading East. Whiskey compass happy with strong tailwinds. I pushed throttle to 51% power and immediately joined 200 kts Club. Right after I took the picture my Lycoming went back to jogging mode.

Texas baby! They say there is a nice restaurant in Amarillo but real Texans live in Hereford and I headed there.

I landed at several TX airports before but let me tell you Hereford is unique. The airport fence borders a big cattle ranch. You can smell this airport from 10 mile final. Nice lady in jeans and boots pumps your fuel and there are donuts and coffee in the kitchen. No ranch spirits ever penetrated terminal's walls.

While I was busy consuming airport rations the manager lady stepped to the kitchen and told me about a phone call waiting for me. Phone call? What?
My pea sized brain was spinning who might call? About what? Friendly Administration maybe for noise over the ranch? The manager wasn't smiling either she looked rather worried.

Hey Vlad; - said phone tube, - why don't you turn south our way we have VansCave under construction. I am one of your fans tracking you...

For the life of me I don't know who he was. I thought I knew. Please identify yourself good buddy you got me at Hereford

Another leg. Working as autopilot I trimmed a bit wing heavy and it's going nowhere to the right.

Last edited by Vlad : 11-16-2012 at 07:34 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:43 PM

Seen lots of mil heavies in my life but never in a pack of three.

You don't see them but they are there Blocked from FL220 to FL250 B-52s are doing refueling. They are bringing memories to a Delta captain too. I heard it.

When I see ships like that it means a big harbor is nearby.

Look right there. A harbor slighty larger then Hereford.

Next stop will be somewhere in South Carolina. I don't fly at night. I am hungry again and I want to sleep.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:13 PM

Overnight in Allendale. It's a version of Moriarty South Carolina style.

In the morning I inspected left main tire. It looks like again I have to keep that tank empty and land on one wheel...

Then a genleman of age came in looking at the plane.

-RV? Wrong tail number,- he said.
-Why?
-Some digits not right. I knew one guy with these digits and he crashed.
I tried to pitch him my letter containment theory he didn't buy.

You know who that gentleman was? The very first instructor who taught Pierre Smith to fly. The original Smiling Jack. The guy they wrote articles about. The patriot to his bones. Personal friend of Mr Powers and You Too pilot himself. True gentleman.

-Take my Jeep and go get something to eat. Need money?
-No thanks I need some air.
-OK come to my hangar I'll give you a tank. You need some tyre Boi!
-I know.

I drove his Jeep to town full of Hardees got food and pumped double portion of air. The only thing I couldn't understand. Why Smiling Jack was talking about tail number on a perfect RV but then himself jumped into a strange yellow machine full of chemicals and diesel fuel and flew over treetops in a way I would never dare. The man in his 70ies. They made them tough in last century

That very day I was at my home field. Next day I did required maintenance and headed to Florida to burn two more loads of pre planned fuel.

BTW, Pierre, I didn't know know you built at least ten RVs?