Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-6/6A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2012, 12:02 AM

Smile More paths

One path exists, similar to the one mentioned earlier by RV-6 Flyer but more hidden.

Shamelessly stolen from another builder.

You can come up the side panel under the forward seat pan and run over the top of the spar to the fuel selector area and then down the center tunnel.

All concealed when the seat pan is added -

This might be a little easier because I shimmed up the undersized outermost fore-aft seat supports an 1/8 inch to keep the seat pan flat.

----------------------------------------

The center spar slot already mentioned can take quite a bundle of wires, and can be secured easily out of the way of the controls. The hole used for the clamp is an existing one for the removable section of the seat support in the center area.

The bundle needs to be well protected in the slot area. A good job for the expensive Mil-Spec edge protector with a good metal tooth for grip. You don't want the cheap ones falling off here when you install the wings....

Only one edge is protected in this shot. Another will be added for the second slot edge.

I think it's this one "M22529/2-1R" - good for 0.25 to 0.034 thickness - from Spruce, but their new web pages suck. It will bend in the tight radius needed.

The bundle through the spar has -

Skyview AHRS cable (8)
Skyview Servo cable (6)
Skyview GPS leads (4)
Skyview UAT leads (4)
Elev. trim leads (3)
16 g flap motor leads (2)
PTT leads (4)
16 g wires for nav lts, strobe pwr and landing light (3)
Power to overhead light
AP disconnect
Comm Freq Swap
GPS leads to ELT (3)

You can fit a lot of wires through the standard hole.
RV-6A N61GX - finally flying
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ

Last edited by az_gila : 11-07-2012 at 08:18 AM.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:01 PM

Gil I'm impressed with all the wires you got through that spar hole. I have about the same total so I think I'm going to be good on this one.
Are the lines you have going over the spar your pitot and static lines? Kind of like that route.
And thanks for the heads up on the edge protector. I found some on line but it didn't have the metal clips, just plane plastic. Going to look that one up.
Thanks
Old 11-07-2012, 11:44 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTOM View Post
Gil I'm impressed with all the wires you got through that spar hole. I have about the same total so I think I'm going to be good on this one.
Are the lines you have going over the spar your pitot and static lines? Kind of like that route.
And thanks for the heads up on the edge protector. I found some on line but it didn't have the metal clips, just plane plastic. Going to look that one up.
Thanks
Yes... I was sort of surprised at the number of wires I got through. Some of mine were 20 g, if you go 22 g for all of the non-power stuff it will be easier.

The two "lines" over the spar are RG-400 and RG-58 co-ax cables for comm antennae. However, the pitot line will go in the same location on the pilots side. The static line is under the left cockpit rail.

The Mil-Spec edge protector is expensive, but just a foot or two should do it for critical locations. The regular plastic stuff that looks like a centipede works for the usual big holes in stuff.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:47 PM

I just had to run two new shielded autopilot servo wires via the same hole in the middle crammed with wires. This is on a flying RV-6. Boy was that a PITA especially with the controls in the way.

Please don't PM me! Email only!

Bob Japundza CFI A&PIA
N9187P PA-24-260B Comanche, flying
N678X F1 Rocket, under const.
N244BJ RV-6 "victim of SNF tornado" 1200+ hrs, rebuilding
N8155F C150 flying
N7925P PA-24-250 Comanche, restoring
Not a thing I own is stock.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by az_gila View Post
One path exists, similar to the one mentioned earlier by RV-6 Flyer but more hidden.

Shamelessly stolen from another builder.

You can come up the side panel under the forward seat pan and run over the top of the spar to the fuel selector area and then down the center tunnel.

I fixed a shorted wire at that exact location where the spiral wrap is, the floor pan had pushed the wire into the edge of the vertical reinforcement. When you set on the seat the autopilot stopped working, when you got up is worked ok.

EXP Aircraft Services LLC
Specializing in RV Condition Inspections, Maintenance, Avionics Upgrades
Dynamic Prop Balancing, Pitot-Static Altmeter/Transponder Certification
FAA Certified Repair Station, AP/IA/FCC GROL, EAA Technical Counselor
Authorized Garmin G3X Dealer/Installer
RV7A built 2004, 2000+ hrs, New Titan IO-370, Bendix Mags
Website: ExpAircraft.com, Email: walt@expaircraft.com, Cell: 972-746-5154
Old 11-09-2012, 07:29 PM

Since it hasn't been mentioned....
It is acceptable to make a second hole in the right side spar stub, mirror image of the one on the left side originally intended for the manual pitch trim cable.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldon View Post
I have had bad luck with those 'sticky-backs' holding wire.. eventually they un-stick and leave a un-stickable area on the surface. Have used hundereds of them in my line of work.

Sheldon
Just remove the sticky pads and use Goop Automotive Trim Adhesive, available at any auto parts store. Just make sure to put your zip-tie in the pad before adding adhesive as it tends to fill in the holes.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 11-09-2012, 10:01 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
I fixed a shorted wire at that exact location where the spiral wrap is, the floor pan had pushed the wire into the edge of the vertical reinforcement. When you set on the seat the autopilot stopped working, when you got up is worked ok.
Yes, I thought of that, hence the spiral wrap. Since they are co-ax cables there is a little more "meat" involved in the insulation.

If they were part of a wire bundle, I would have used a section of vinyl hose to protect the wires.

I also rounded off the sharp edges with a file.

Did you have the top edge of the outer F-615 bulkheads shimmed? That could make the "sit on the seat and short" problem a bit worse.

Last edited by az_gila : 11-09-2012 at 10:04 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:48 AM

With the second hole through the web, the coax cables can go through that and need not run along the spar. Much better protection. Also, by not opening the spar hole "extension" width to the hole diameter all the way to the center, a round section is left at the original hole location and a standard (slit) plastic insert can be used for edge protection. Much more stable and simpler.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:29 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay.pearlman View Post
With the second hole through the web, the coax cables can go through that and need not run along the spar. Much better protection. Also, by not opening the spar hole "extension" width to the hole diameter all the way to the center, a round section is left at the original hole location and a standard (slit) plastic insert can be used for edge protection. Much more stable and simpler.
The reason for the slit is so that the wiring can be done before the wings are installed.

In the case of the RV-6s the hole only approach is not "much simpler", but YMMV.

Last edited by az_gila : 11-10-2012 at 12:32 PM.