- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 06-29-2012, 05:52 AM

Default QB Delivery Day

Yesterday was a big day in the build of N-251WM. The delivery truck arrived around 1500 EDT and the first trick was figuring how to actually get the truck into the end of the road where I live. It was a tight squeeze but Partain's guys are pros.

I was able to enlist my minions ... I mean a crew from work ... so we got to work unloading the truck and surprisingly there was very little to actually unload - 2xwings, a fuselage, and a big box.

One of the best things I did was to have the wing cradle and fuselage stand (both on wheels) already built so it was easy to just transfer the structures from the truck. Thanks to Colin Peterson, WingsOnWheels (RV-6 build), for the pictures of his cradle/stand and the design - it is perfect for the tight space I call my garage. We did do a test fit to make sure it would all fit (barely) before we got to work on the inventory.

As we unloaded the fuselage that was full of parts, I found a long wood plank (which is not on the inventory) but my helpers certainly found a good use and simulating hand propping while I tried out the cockpit.

I am sure the inventory will take a few days but the excitement is just beginning with my first "RV grin."

N-251WM
Garmin G3X/GTN-650/Dynon D6/GTX-23ES/TruTrak GX Pilot/GDL-39
Eagle XTREEM I0-360-B1HD2 (dual P-mags)

Last edited by Strike69 : 07-01-2012 at 09:30 AM.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:01 AM

Default Wing Work

Although there is a significant work already compelte with a QB kit, don't be fooled. Around a week trip for work, I have been cranking through completing the wings. Of course the first error was drilling the push rod ends without having edge distance on the end caps. Now what fun would it be without having to order replacement parts.

I have finished the bell crank assemblies which requires removing the upper bracket to fit the pin. One of the disadvantages of the QB is not being intimately familiar with the pieces parts (such as the attach screws for the brackets using nut plates, not nuts).

The aileron brackets and flap/aileron deflectors and access panels seemed like easy work. I did have some challenges with match drilling the front edge of the skins and had to walk the drilling instead of clecoing the entire surface then drilling.

Along the way there have been some inadvetent cool shots (like the mirror image above).

And a few friends providing supervisory assistance for good luck.

N-251WM
Old 08-27-2012, 07:07 PM

Default Back to Work

After a long break for my kids summer visit, I got back to work. Lots of days at the beach but I did manage to get my boys to help deburring the thousand holes on the wings. I think they have a future in aircraft manufacturing.

The nice part about the fuselage is the ability to work on various subassemblies without having to necessarily work in order. The seats went together nicely although I had to determine if the rear seat tabs go on the inside or outside. The plans show it both ways and a quick call to Van's confirmed - outside.

While working on the seat hinges, I jumped ahead to the cockpit floor ... something about actually seeing progress breeds even more motivation.

From the floors I moved on to the rear baggage area.

It took almost an hour to deburr all of the edges on F-834-1 (big rear baggage tray). I discovered micro files and I'm not sure how I made it this far without these tiny gems.

Motivation is everything so I had to put my dream panel in ... one day!

N-251WM
Old 08-28-2012, 08:08 AM

Looking good Mike! It's awesome having your kids invovled-great memories. I go back and look at my photos from just a few years ago and it always puts a smile on my face!
RV-8 'Contrary Mary' flying
N784DE S/N #82614

www.fixedwingbuddha.com
Follow me on Facebook
Old 08-28-2012, 11:40 PM

A child labor sweatshop right here in the USofA? This country is going to **** in a handbasket. Tell those poor children that I'm forming a union tomorrow and we are already planning our first walkout. Solidarity is the key. United we stan...uh hold on, United hosed their retirees pension plans. Forget United.

Sing along...We are Fam-i-ly.......I'm going to save those children! I'll film a bleeding heart commercial to gather support. I just need a washed up TV star, a video camera and a kid willing to dimple his finger on camera for a 10 spot...this is going to work, save the children!
SARL Race#95
SnF Homebuilt Judge

2015 Sun n Fun Kit Built Reserve Grand Champion
2015 Oshkosh Kit Built Champion
2015 Jeffco Kit Built Grand Champion
2014 Oshkosh Outstanding Workmanship Award

Broken Warrior of the Jarhead Clan

Last edited by ColoRv : 08-29-2012 at 08:24 AM.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:48 AM

Default The Process

As designed, this journey of building an aircraft in the experimental category is meant as a learning experience. One of the things I am enjoying most is discovering ways to be creative and innovative. It may not be new for most but for me this has been a world of discovery.

I know it is a little out of order but as I said, one of the nice things about the fuselage is the ability to work on different subassemblies in any order. The canopy rail receptacle has a very tight space with the back rivets. A slight bend of the tab and a thin nose yoke fit just fine.

For the front lower consoles, installing nut plates lead me to utter a few choice words. The space is too tight to effectively buck or squeeze a solid. After an hour of contemplation, I remembered I had some Cheery N rivets that fit nicely as place of the AN426s. MUCH easier.

After a 4-day break for Labor Day, I was able to make significant progress on the interior. The rear baggage area is complete, both seats are riveted together, flap actuator arm and brackets positioned, floor stiffeners installed, floor nut plates done, and the front consoles (left and right) are ready priming.

I did pause for a moment Friday when I finished the rear seat bulkhead assembly. I turned it over to take a picture and the resemblance reminded me of the Lunar Module. We lost one of our pioneers last week and I thought it fitting to have this reminder on the day we remember Neil Armstrong.

Finally, for motivation I match drilled the rear bulkheads and top rear skin.

N-251WM
Old 09-10-2012, 05:26 AM

Default Weekend Work

The weather was sunny and in the low 70s (perfect garage temp), I had helpers, and I got to sit in my plane ... what more could one ask for? Now that the "big" things are relatively complete, it is on to the details.

I finally borrowed a 90 degree drill and completed the step support block.

The bushings on both the FCP and RCP sticks required a little reduction. On the RCP stick, the bushing was about 1/32 too narrow so a slight ream was necessary.

I wanted to do some cockpit planning (and a little motivation always helps) so temp installed the control assembly.

No matter how good the computer software or drawing templates, I found the best way to visualize the cockpit layout is/was to stick in the seat and let my hands rest and move the way they will in flight. Being on the tall side, this helped determine the furthest forward point on the consoles I could put a switch and still see it - something a drawing won't do.

I'm sure it will change again but at least I feel I am a little closer.
N-251WM
Old 10-01-2012, 06:10 AM

Default End of September Update

A pesky thing called work has kept me on the road recently so slow progress has been made.

I finally finished priming the wing aileron and flap braces and got those installed only to find out I grounded the wrong end of the flap hinge. I to drill out all of the top rivets and re-did the wing-side hinge. Only a 5-hour detour but the flaps and ailerons are now temp attached to the wings.

Moving on to details ... the adjustable rudder pedal assembly with rear seat pedals is complete. Hard to believe the rear cockpit "pedals" are essentially buttons but with the limited space it all makes sense.

With the push rods complete, it is on to the interior details - running fuel lines, wiring, etc. As usual, I have my motivation shot with the empennage temporarily set on the fuselage ... starting to really look like an airplane and quickly running out of space in the garage!

N-251WM
Old 10-30-2012, 05:58 AM

Default End of October update

After several weeks of travel for work (and one more overseas trip coming up), I have made slow progress. Of course this weekend was dealing with Sandy. I'm into some details and getting little things done when I can.

The roll trim servo was the first installed component to actually have power applied! Still have to rivet the parts in but it works like a champ. I still need to run wires to the panel but I couldn't help myself from seeing the display come to life.

While the panel is being put together, I had Stein send me the antenna and servos so I could at least get those installed. The roll servo instructions don't include photos so if anyone has a good pic showing the specific location, I'd like to get a copy. for now this is my tentative mounting location.

The pitch trim system was also completed (finally) with power applied.

The horizontal stab and elevators have been attached to the fuselage which is making for a tight squeeze in the garage ... especially with a hurricane whipping the wind around and needing to keep the door closed.

Final project for the month was getting exterior lights installed. I am using an Aero LED system for nav, strobes, and landing lights. The tail light (with adaptor ring) installed very easily.

I am amazed at how bright these things are.

The wing tip presented more of a challenge (as I have posted elsewhere) and the short answer is the 1600s don't fit! I am working to get those changed out with the MicroSun landing light but I did finish both wing tip lenses.

One more trip then lots of free time to work on the project ... at least until work calls.
N-251WM
Old 10-31-2012, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strike69 View Post
The roll servo instructions don't include photos so if anyone has a good pic showing the specific location, I'd like to get a copy. for now this is my tentative mounting location.
Mike, might want to reconsider the servo location. On a finished -8 access to the area under the floor is a PITA....lots of screws, while kneeling on the wing and hanging over the rail. The alternate locations are the back side of the spar, one bay outboard of the aileron bellcrank or all the way outboard, just in from the wingtip.