What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lycoming School

Bob Axsom

Well Known Member
It's 04:26 10-8-12 and I am in Williamsport, Pennsylvania for the first on a four day course called "Lycoming Engine Service School" and it is to be followed immediately by another course for disassembly and reassembly of Lycoming Engines. The first course costs $700 and the second is ~$650. I haven't been in a classroom for 32 years so this should be a demanding and perhaps embarasing experience but I'm running out of drag reduction ideas and I have no technical expertise with engines. I hope this will be a good first step in correcting that deficiency - I'll let you know how it actually works out.

Bob Axsom

Bob,
Reading your post and looking at the post time on it, you might want to re-set your watch...you gained an hour crossing the Mississippi. Would hate to see you come in late on your first day of school... :D

Best of luck, and hope you enjoy it!

Keep us posted!

Bob......I looked at those courses on the Lycoming site. Please give a detained critique of the class. I am wondering if it is worth the money!

Don't forget to bring an apple for the teacher:D

Lycoming engine service school

My A&P and I took the classroom course a few months ago. Excellent, well organized presentation with lot's of graphics. I now know a lot more about the engines. My A&P who has been in the business 60+ years knew most of the info, but even he said he learned some new stuff. One of the benefits for the price of the course is you get a full set of service bulletins and service instructions (I've got them in 2 6-inch binders) and a year's subscription. A&P and I are signed up for the January assembly/disassembly class which is all hands-on. Classes fill up quickly, not sure of max class size, but it looked like the classroom had room for about 20.

Day 1

The first day went well. The instructor is younger than me but not a whole lot. He is James E. Doebler and HE IS GOOD! He mentioned retirement in a couple of years. My advice is if you are considering this course, do it in the next couple of years. This style an knowledge is irreplaceable. The man really cares about what he is doing for all the right reasons - he wants it to be a good learning experience for the students.

In the past he has worked in the customer service capacity for Lycoming averaging around 30 calls per day in parallel with his teaching duties all over the world. He is an excellent communicator. I have learned valuable things already that I would have never learned otherwise even though the morning class was devoted the documentation and the afternoon was devoted to a tour of the Lycoming factory in another part of town.

As mentioned before a complete set of service documentation will be mailed to each of us free after the class. All Lycoming Service Letters, Service Bulletins and Service Instructions are included. The fill two very large 6" binders. We also received a in class today:

1 - A DVD entitled "Care & Lubrication of your new or overhauled Lycoming Engine

2 - Document - SSP-110 Certificated Aircraft Engines

3 - Document - SSP-885-2 Engine Mounted Oil Filter Kits and Replacement Filters

4 - Document SSP-475 Reciprocating Engine Trouble Shooting Guide

5 - Two packs of slide prints that we will go over in class

6 - Miscellaneous items.

I signed up for the Engine Service School and the Disassembly and Reassembly Classse but both classes were full untill January. I signed up for January and standby in case any students dropped out. A few weeks ago I was called when someone dropped out of the Engine Service School and last Tuesday some one dropped out of the Disassembly and Reassembly class (the Engine Service School is a prerequisite for the Disassembly and Reassembly class) so I am getting them in an unbroken series. The class size is restricted - there are 12 in our class.

I do not have a copier but we were given a copy of the Course Syllabus so I will hand enter the information in the next post. I need to save this.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
School

I learned about this experience from an A&P instructor. He had nothing but good comments.
I am scheduled in January for the first course.
Tuition is now $725 and $700 and they are booked till March.
Hotel costs are about $80 per night and apparently there is a shuttle to and from the classrooms.

Dave A.

Class comment

Comment: Of the 12 people in the current class three are from France and one is from and island (I didn't catch the name),

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
The Course Syllabus (unified)

LYCOMING AUTHORIZED
TRAINING CENTER

Course Syllabus

Pennsylvania College of Technology
Workforce Development and Continuing Education
Williamsport, PA 17701

Course Description
The Lycoming Engine Service School includes the construction theory of operation and servicing and troubleshooting of the related components.

Rationale
This service school is solely authorized to Pennsylvania College of Technology by Lycoming, a Textron Company, Williamsport, PA. Upon completion of this course, it can [be] used for qualification for the Inspection Authorization renewal program FAR65.93(a)(4)

Attendance
Strict attendanceis mandatory to receive a certificate for the Lycoming Service School cource. The course consists of four (4) seven hour days. The class time is from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00p.m., with one hour for lunch as a restaurant of your choice.

Course Outline

1. Brief history of the Lycoming engine.

2. Discussion on availability and importance of publications
(A) Service Letters, Bulletins,Instructions (SL114)
(B) Operator's Hndbook
(C) Overhaul Manual
(D) Special Service Publications
(E) Vendor Publications

3. Engine Model Coding
(A) Engine Model Designator
(B) Engine Color Codes (SI1181)

4. Crankshaft
(A) Hardness (SB 222)
(B) Propeller Strikes (SB533)
(C) Crankshaft Gear Inspection (SB475) and AD91-14-22
(D) Counterweights (SB245)(SI1012)
(E) Crankshaft Seal replacement (SI1324)(SI1111)
(F) Crankshaft Flange Bushings (SI1098)

5. Starter Gear Ring Support

6. Camshaft
(A) Failure, Internal timing

7. Crankcase
(A) Engine Mount (Type I, Type II)
(B) Alternator (SI1154)
(C) Starter (SI1154), Shim LU 16152
(D) Alternator Shimming (SI1270)

8. Connecting Rod
(A) Connecting Rod Bolts (SI1458)
(B) Description and Inspection of rods (SB439)

9. Cylinder, Piston Assembly
(A) Cylinder Assembly
(B) Piston, Rings (SI1037) and Plugs (SI1267)
(C) Installing and Torquing Cylinder Assemblies (SI1029)

10. Valve Train
(A) Proper Setting of the Dry Tappet Clearance .028” to .080”
(B) Failed Valve (SI1193)
(C) Pushrod Length (SI1060)
(D) Valve Inspection (SB301)
(E) Guide Clearance Inspection (SB388)

11. Lubrication System
(A) Understanding the oil System
(B) Setting Oil Pressure
(C) Troubleshooting the Lubrication System'
(D) Understanding and Troubleshooting the Propeller Governor System (SI1462)
(E) Inverted Oil System

12. Ignition System
(A) Magnetos (SI1443)
(B) Spark Plugs (SI1042)
(C) Magneto to Engine Timing (SI 1437)

13. Exhaust System
(A) Exhaust Port Inspection (SL228)
(B) Exhaust Gaskets (SI1204)
(C) Effects of Exhaust Leaks

14. Induction System
(A) Air Inlet Filter'
(B) Troubleshooting
(C) Induction Systems

15. Fuel System
(A) Carburetor
(B) Fuel Injection
(C) Flow Divider and Nozzles
(D) Operation and Troubleshooting

16. Turbo-charging Systems
(A) Understanding Operation
(B) Inspection (SB313)(SB452)
(C) Repair (SI1122)
(D) Operation Specifications
(E) Rigging Adjustment (SI1211)(SI1187)(SI1341)
(F) Over Boost and Over Speed (SB392)

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
School Day 2

I was really tired in the morning because of staying up last night to get through the Syllabus typing job. Stayed awake with trouble in the morning because of that but a power nap at noon and I was good as new.

- Some history of the company
- Serial number information
- Gray sludge in end of crankshaft is from the lead in the fuel - should be cleaned every 500 hours.
- Prop strikedefinition
- Crankshaft coverage
- Camshaft and camshaft followers and roller tappets
- Crankcase design, assembly and torquing
- Oil/lubrication system

Bob Axsom

I just registered for march 19-27 for both classes.
seems like a good idea to know this. on the other hand.. ignorance may be bliss...

I was really tired in the morning because of staying up last night to get through the Syllabus typing job. Stayed awake with trouble in the morning because of that but a power nap at noon and I was good as new.

- Some history of the company
- Serial number information
- Gray sludge in end of crankshaft is from the lead in the fuel - should be cleaned every 500 hours.
- Prop strikedefinition
- Crankshaft coverage
- Camshaft and camshaft followers and roller tappets
- Crankcase design, assembly and torquing
- Oil/lubrication system

Bob Axsom

Lycoming School Day 3

Today was concentrated on the Cylinders:

- Connecting rods
Manufacture
Forging & casting raised numbers
Etched part numbers
Weight codes
Bearings
Torque bolts
Stretch bolts​
- Piston pins
- caps
- Honing
- Pistons
Design of top of pistons
Lubricating oil control ring
Compression rings
Semi-wedge design
Ring surcace for different cylinders
Air bleed holes​
- Cylinder & Head design
Valve guides
Valve seats​
- Compression Checks
Differential
Direct
Failures that will not be revealed by differential method​
-Cylinder color
- Valves
Design
Intake
Exhaust
Sticking
Symptoms
Causes
Avoiding
Correcting​
- Valve Springs & seats
- Hydraulic Plungers
- Lubrication
Oil wearout
Change interval
Oil filtration system
pressure screens
Suction Screens
Filters
Visual inspection for metal​
- Gear alignment for cam drive
- Test for cam timing
- Oil Pressure release valve
Tall tower
Tall tower adjustable
Short Tower​
- Inverted oil system
- Oil Analysis
- DVD on lubrication system

End of Day 3

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Day 4

I worked late into the night last night trying to put some notes together for
the race in Cleveland Texas Saturday without a sectional or GPS and as a result
I was very tired today and had a rough time getting the usual value from the
course. It seemed like I was in a room full of mechanics and they were just
talking about the subjects and I was just hanging on. That's just the way it
was for me but I felt that it was a little superficial.

What was covered today:

Ignition System
Spark plugs
Ignition leads
Magnetos
Cleaning spark plugs
Ignition timing
Spark Plug rotation pattern
Idle setting
Plug fowling
Exhaust Systems
Gaskets
Materials
Mounting flanges
Induction Systems
Carburetor Ice
Fuel Injection
Supercharger
Turbo Charger

I have a lot more notes with details But I can't keep my eyes open.
Tomorrow we take an engine apart and we put it together again on Monday and
Tuesday as the subject of the enginse disassembly and Reassembly course.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Day 5 - PAYDIRT

Today we went to a lab and broke up into pairs. Then we COMPLETELY disassembled an O-360. Hands on disassembly was a great pivotal experience. My mental state will never be the same with respect to the engine. I'm sitting in the terminal at Harrisburg, PA waiting for the start of my two airplane flight back to Houston to fly in the race at Cleveland, TX in the morning. Should get there around midnight.

Monday I should be back in the lab at Williamsport, Pennsylvania to start putting the engine back together.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
EAA Lycoming School

Lycoming puts on their engine school at AirVenture in the Back of their red Lycoming tent for free. It's the same course BUT there is no hands on session & the handout literature isn't what I think they handout after paying for the course but I still got a lot out of it. Even got a free Lycoming Tshirt after taking three four hour sessions. I don't believe it made an expert out of me but it didn't hurt me either so if at AirVenture check it out and save the bucks.

Dick DeCramer
RV6 N500DD flying since 2004
RV8 ready for finish kit

Grey sludge

I asked about this in class when we were going through something dealing with the lead contamination of oil. It only applies if the front cap has been removed from a hollow crankshaft and and the rear plug is inplace for constant speed prop operation. When I went to the blended airfoil propeller from Hartzell to replace the nonblended ailfoil propeller to gain the 3 kts of speed Van reported in RVator several years ago, I saw this gray sludge in the open end of the crank shaft that had the consistency of pudding. I did this for racing advantage and so did an RV-8 competitor Alan Carroll. In commication with Alan it came out that he saw the same thing. Fast forward a couple of years and I am in this class and we are talking about this grey sludge in the oil from the lead in the 100LL fuel. I had to ask about what I had seen in the crankshaft when I removed the propeller because I wanted to know about its effect on performance, SPEED. The instructor said it would have no effect on speed but it will affect the responsivness of the propeller to movements of the propeller control - it will slow down the pitch change but not limit the the pitch change travel. He said over time the lead will harden from this pastey state to more crusty form (I have only seen the thick pudding mass myself) and every 500 hours you should clean this out to restore the "like new" operation that you expect from a constant speed prop.

I completed the race in Cleveland, TX yesterday and I am currently in London, KY for a RON on the way back to Williamsport, PA to reassemble the class engine my lab partner and I disassembled Friday.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Back in Williamsport ready to start reassembly tomorrow

Finished 2nd in RV Blue at Cleveland at 213+ mph so that went well and I finally got some sleep in London Kentucky last night.10 hours there and two more hours after I got back here. Strange exhaustion experience that I would just as soon not repeat.

My lab partner and I have all of our fastener hardware in a can on the bench with all of the major engine components. That should be an interesting experience sorting out the needs and the availables. At home I put all of the application hardware in separate marked containers but here the danger of missing hardware is greater than the risk of misapplication. We will see if I feel the same tomorrow.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Day 6

Today was the first day of the engine reassembly.

I have been asked some questions through pm's and e-mail that were answered for me today

1 - Can Parts Manual for the "390" be ordered from Lycoming? YES, per Service Letter 114 (per the instructor in response to my question - I have no first hand experience with this but SL114 will be in the two large books of documentation coming from the Service School - a gift from the first 4 day course)

2 - Could you find out what the Instructor recommends for assembly lubricants. There is a sb from Lyc for special assembly lubricants that are impossible to find in small quantities. I have heard that Lyc school is still using mineral oil/STP mix? Yes

Last edited:
Day 6

Today was the first day of the engine reassembly.

I have been asked some questions through pm's and e-mail that were answered for me today

1 - Can Parts Manual for the "390" be ordered from Lycoming? YES, per Service Letter 114 (per the instructor in response to my question - I have no first hand experience with this but SL114 will be in the two large books of documentation coming from the Service School - a gift from the first 4 day course)

This is very disapointing - I had typed many detailed paragraphs of what had been done today including the exact lubricants, sealants and methods but it was all lost in cyberspace. I have to get some sleep so I will just summarize and try to do it again later.

We installed the crankshaft, connecting rods, camshaft, cam followers, rod bearings, main bearings, pistons, pins, caps, cylinders, Idler gears, tach drive, lubricants (85% SAE/15% STP mixture lubricant, Loctite Food Grade antiseize lubricant, Loctite C5-A Copper Based Anti-Seize Lubricant, MolyTex EPO moly grease, silk thread, Perfect Seal Gasket Maker Sealant #4, etc.

Tomorrow we will finish the assembly and the class will be over.

Am I better off knowledge wise than I was before? Absolutely! Is the course perfect? No - things get a little too rushed in order to cover the ground in a few days for someone with zero experience inside engines but it is a pretty good compromise. The plane is still in race configuration with no lights so I am stuck here until Wednesday. That will give me a chance to try to reconstruct some of the information that was lost tonight. Once I get back home I will be focused on other things and this communication trail will probably be broken for good.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Great!

Bob,

Thanks again for taking time to post on this...they are 2 classes I really want to take...will look for more info in the post....sorry for the cyber-mess you are having:(

Day 7 of the Lycoming School

Today Each 2 person team completed the reassembly of their engine. I guess I was going too far into the course description yesterday so the loss was not a big deal. The fact is this was an outstanding door opening opportunity for me - not a career move but a status move worth anything I could pay to get there. The opportunities are very limited and the instructor said he will not teach more than 8 courses per year.

I feel very comfortable working on the engine now and I learned many practical things about it. If you are into Certificates two certificates are awarded for the two courses (The Lycoming Service School - 4 days and the Disassembly/Reassembly Course - 3 days).

Today we installed the hydraulic units, pushrods, tubes, seals, rocker arms, shafts, caps, etc. then the valve covers, then we set the mechanical timing with the crankshaft gear, idler gears and camshaft gear, installed everything under the accessory housing and installed the accessory housing, sump, alternator and starter. When we were done the instructor took one engine and showed us how the set the timing on standard mags. I hope this gives you enough insight to the course to decide if it is right for you.

If you have specific questions I will try to answer them but I just don't have time to go back through what I had typed in there yesterday and it would probably be of minimal real value.

Bob Axsom
The End

Last edited:
Lyc scool

Bob -Can't thank you enough for your efforts. I for one would love to take the course. Appreciate your commitment to learning and sharing!

Before going to school

Thanks much for the write-up Bob - definately whets the appetite to get into the class. Any preparation suggestions prior to the class for an engine "rookie"?

Thanks again,
Jim A

Just get a slot in the class schedule and show up

The class works well with all skill levels; trying to prepare would not help in my opinion.

I'm glad to be home - some weather challenges.

Bob Axsom

Awesome overview. thanks. I'm registered for March classes.
What route did you take to get there and back?

The class works well with all skill levels; trying to prepare would not help in my opinion.

I'm glad to be home - some weather challenges.

Bob Axsom

Also see the June Kitplanes

There was an article on the class in the June 2012 issue of Kitplanes. Between it and Bob's reports, I bet the class waiting list explodes!

Route... Well it was not direct.

Awesome overview. thanks. I'm registered for March classes.
What route did you take to get there and back?

Everyone else can skip over this - it has no technical merit.

The classes are conducted in a series 8 times per year and the first class is 4 days long in a classroom but with a very experienced and open instructor and real hardware. It must be taken before you are allowed to take the Disassembly/Reassembly class which lasts 3 days but the classes may be taken with an unlimited time gap between the two.

I signed up for the classes at the earliest possible date (January 2013) and got on the waiting list for any cancellations. The first 4 day class (Lycoming Service School) opened up a few weeks ago beginning on October 8 and I got the call. You probably don't know it but I am also flying in every SARL race this year that is not in schedule conflict with another SARL race. There were two races scheduled on October 6 in Waupaca, WI and Galveston, TX and two more scheduled on October 13 in Cleveland, TX and Wickenburg, AZ. I had signed up for the Waupaca and Cleveland races. I saw right away that this would work and I took the opening in the Lycoming Service School class Class. I made my reservations for Waupaca, WI, Williamsport, PA and Cleveland Texas for rental cars and motels on October 1. I went to the SARL website and got the course information and went through the race preparation, looked at the general travel routes and ordered over $200 worth of sectional charts, Low altitude IFR charts and books of Terminal Procedures (approach plates) to fly from Fayetteville, Arkansas to Waupaca, Wisconsin on October 4, then continue to Willaimsport, Pensylvania after the race for the start of school on Monday Qctober 8 and then fly to Cleveland, Texas (just north of Houston) after the class let out on Thursday October 11. Comfortably tight but certainly doable. I was set and looking forward to it.

On October 2 a lady from the school called and said they had a cancelation for the Disassembly/Reassembly course beginning on Friday October 12 and completing on Monday and Tuesday October 15 and 16. She needed an answer so she could take care of filling the opening by continuing down the waiting list if necessary. I said I will take it.

I ran through the possible scenarios in my mind and concluded that I could enter the 10-6 race at Galvaston fly the plane to Cleveland, Texas, tie the plane down fueled up and ready to race, get a rental car and a room for the night in Cleveland, TX, get an early commercial flight to Williamsport on Sunday October 7 arriving early enough to get a few hours of sleep and be ready for class on Monday. Then On Friday evening I would fly commercially back to Houston pick up my rental car from the parking lot and drive back to Cleveland check back into my motel get a few hours of sleep then go to the airport early for final preps, briefing and the race. Then after the race I would fly the Blue Bird back to Williamsport check in to the motel get a few hours of sleep and be in class on Monday Oct. 15. It was definitely not comfortable but it seemed doable if the commercial flights worked out and the weather was adequate for my flying.

There are no direct flights between Williamsport and Houston. I cancelled my motel and car reservations at Waupaca and modified those at Cleveland and Williamsport. I got a two airplane flight to Harrisburg PA via DC and a rental car to drive to Williamsport and back and a two airplane flight to Houston via Charlotte, NC that made it possible. I would get back into Houston at midnight if everything worked as planned.

OK I won't give you the agonizing details but for the actual route I flew south over Fort Smith, Texarkana, Lufkin following Victor Airways on an IFR flight plan and in solid IMC (I love TruTrak) starting 300 ft above the runway at Fayetteville's Drake Field (FYV). At Lufkin the clouds started breaking up and the controller offered direct to Cleveland. I got there got the rental car (truck actually - it was Texas after all) parked it at the airport with all of my unessential race baggage, put 10 gallons of Fuel in each tank (I wanted to show good faith at Galveston by buying fuel) and flew to Galveston for the next morning's race. I do not have lights in race configuration but I got there early enough to start a test run around the course (which was very beneficial). After turn 9 I had one red light come on for low fuel so I could see turn 10 at an outlet to the Gulf and no reason for doing anything but switching to the other tank and heading for the airport. Everything went well there and after the race I flew to Cleveland without landing. I made a telephone call for wakeup at 0300 but it never came. I woke up on my own somewhere between 4 and 5 am threw some clothes in a bag and raced to the Bush airport without the usual morning brush, shave and shower. I made it on the flight, the transfer, and drive to Williamsport.

When class let out on Friday I reversed the drive to Harrisburg and caught the flight with transfer to Houston. I got to bed between 2 and 3 am and after a few hours of sleep went to the airport installed the fresh air vent covers and removed the two Nav antenna elements, attended the briefing and flew the race. After the race I was delayed in getting to the fuel pump by the ramp marshals so I removed the fresh air vent covers, reinstalled my Nav antenna elements transfered all of my baggage from the truck to the plane while waiting. After refueling I got a weather/TFR briefing on the phone and planned to fly as direct as VFR weather would allow with a forecast 40 kt wind blowing direct from Cleveland to Williamsport - somebody was in my corner. I started out higher over Tennessee I could see a broken layer below that didn't have a visible end. A quick check with flight watch on 122.0 confirmed my suspicion and I went down to 3,500 and continued on. Abeam London, Kentucky I could see darkening skies ahead extending down to the mountains of Kentucky and West Virginia. I did not have a convenient "out" in that direction so I turned to London and remained over night. I felt wide awake and razor sharp but when I finally laid down after eating dinner at Frisch's Big Boy with nothing but peanut butter & cheese crackers in flight all day I slept a straight 10 hours. I called for a weather briefing Sunday morning and I was told visual conditions existed all the way to my destination so I cut the briefing short and got in the air as soon as possible. It was a nonstop VFR flight the rest of the way with overcast but not threateningly so.

To be continued

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
The rest of the route - the back part you asked about

After the class on Tuesday I stayed overnight in Williamsport figuring that if the weather was OK I could make it back on Wednesday. During the time I was in the school at Williamsport it seemed that every morning there was a low cloud layer or fog right over the runways. I anticipated this and wrote up an IFR flight plan, well two actually. If the weather was good I would go more direct and refuel at Columbus, Indiana and if not I would make my stop at London, kentucky again. The problem with the London Plan was fuel. The morning briefing made the London route the one to use. There was a very low overcast over the airport and I entered it almost as soon as I rotated. At 1200 feet the beautiful bright blue sky was overhead. As soon as I left the airport area everywhere else was clear. I refueled at London and the briefer said there were no adverse VFR conditions until I would get to Arkansas. From Walnut Ridge it was going to be marginal VFR at best.

I took off VFR and headed between the controlled airspace at Nashville and the Ft. Campbell restricted areas. All went well until I was approaching Walnut Ridge exactly as the briefer had described. I had been making good time so I was just inside the limit of my fuel to get to Fayetteville. I made the decision to land at Walnut Ridge and give myself some range to work with. The Ozarks are between Walnut Ridge and Fayetteville and you don't want to deal with them in marginal conditions with low fuel.

When I left Walnut Ridge and headed west the 3,300 ft ceiling was lowering and it was raining. I could not continue that way and I had no IFR flight plan. I turned left toward the lighter sky and saw that I was pointed toward Little Rock but even though it was lighter it was not the most inviting view I had ever seen. Back toward Memphis I could see clear skies and decided to proceed to Dewitt Spain airport by the river under the class B floor. As I flew east I saw that the cloud tops were not overly high so I thought I would go up and take a look. It was over 100 miles to Fayetteville and the prog charts I had looked at before leaving Williamsport showed the northwest corner around Fayetteville clearing before the rest of Arkansas. At 6,500 ft I was up in the beautiful sunshine again. As I proceeded west I found I had to climb to stay legally VFR above the clouds - finally 10,500. Starting at around 50 miles from Fayetteville I saw the ground through holes and I was tempted to go down but I was not sure and I didn't want to have to try climbing up through them again so I pressed on. At 30 miles from Drake I called Razorback Approach and asked for an IFR clearance to Drake using the LOC Rwy 16 approach. Once that was negotiated I was vectored down into the clouds for the approach and by the time I reached 3,000 I had the localizer and the airport was in sight. I landed normally and that was the route I took to get there and back.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Morning of Day 6 Photos

IMG_6491_zpscb58e0af.jpg

IMG_6494_zpsc6112bc1.jpg

IMG_6495_zps8c4e19a7.jpg

IMG_6508_zpsaa7c0b33.jpg

And there sets the Blue Bird, tied down snug with its Bruce's Cover at Williamsport, PA waiting to go home to Arkansas.
IMG_6506_zpsd2fba322.jpg

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Thank You

Bob, I subscribed to this thread when you first posted so I could keep up with your experience. I just wanted to say thank you for putting in all the time and effort to keep us up to date on the school, AND your trips. I got tired just from reading your last posts! :D Thank you again.

Back