- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:56 PM

Default Day 6

Today was the first day of the engine reassembly.

I have been asked some questions through pm's and e-mail that were answered for me today

1 - Can Parts Manual for the "390" be ordered from Lycoming? YES, per Service Letter 114 (per the instructor in response to my question - I have no first hand experience with this but SL114 will be in the two large books of documentation coming from the Service School - a gift from the first 4 day course)

This is very disapointing - I had typed many detailed paragraphs of what had been done today including the exact lubricants, sealants and methods but it was all lost in cyberspace. I have to get some sleep so I will just summarize and try to do it again later.

We installed the crankshaft, connecting rods, camshaft, cam followers, rod bearings, main bearings, pistons, pins, caps, cylinders, Idler gears, tach drive, lubricants (85% SAE/15% STP mixture lubricant, Loctite Food Grade antiseize lubricant, Loctite C5-A Copper Based Anti-Seize Lubricant, MolyTex EPO moly grease, silk thread, Perfect Seal Gasket Maker Sealant #4, etc.

Tomorrow we will finish the assembly and the class will be over.

Am I better off knowledge wise than I was before? Absolutely! Is the course perfect? No - things get a little too rushed in order to cover the ground in a few days for someone with zero experience inside engines but it is a pretty good compromise. The plane is still in race configuration with no lights so I am stuck here until Wednesday. That will give me a chance to try to reconstruct some of the information that was lost tonight. Once I get back home I will be focused on other things and this communication trail will probably be broken for good.

Bob Axsom

Last edited by Bob Axsom : 10-16-2012 at 05:24 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:59 PM

Default Great!

Bob,

Thanks again for taking time to post on this...they are 2 classes I really want to take...will look for more info in the post....sorry for the cyber-mess you are having
RV-8 QB Reserved N212KB
ATP
CFI/CFII/MEI

Build Site: http://www.mykitlog.com/skykingbob/

"Nothing worthwhile has ever been accomplished without inspiration, determination, and perspiration!"
Old 10-16-2012, 05:16 PM

Default Day 7 of the Lycoming School

Today Each 2 person team completed the reassembly of their engine. I guess I was going too far into the course description yesterday so the loss was not a big deal. The fact is this was an outstanding door opening opportunity for me - not a career move but a status move worth anything I could pay to get there. The opportunities are very limited and the instructor said he will not teach more than 8 courses per year.

I feel very comfortable working on the engine now and I learned many practical things about it. If you are into Certificates two certificates are awarded for the two courses (The Lycoming Service School - 4 days and the Disassembly/Reassembly Course - 3 days).

Today we installed the hydraulic units, pushrods, tubes, seals, rocker arms, shafts, caps, etc. then the valve covers, then we set the mechanical timing with the crankshaft gear, idler gears and camshaft gear, installed everything under the accessory housing and installed the accessory housing, sump, alternator and starter. When we were done the instructor took one engine and showed us how the set the timing on standard mags. I hope this gives you enough insight to the course to decide if it is right for you.

If you have specific questions I will try to answer them but I just don't have time to go back through what I had typed in there yesterday and it would probably be of minimal real value.

Bob Axsom
The End

Last edited by Bob Axsom : 10-16-2012 at 11:17 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:52 PM

Great summary Bob..Thank you!
Old 10-16-2012, 07:29 PM

Default Excellent!

Bob.....you have gone above and beyond!!! Thank you!!!
RV-8 QB Reserved N212KB
ATP
CFI/CFII/MEI

Build Site: http://www.mykitlog.com/skykingbob/

"Nothing worthwhile has ever been accomplished without inspiration, determination, and perspiration!"
Old 10-16-2012, 10:06 PM

Default Lyc scool

Bob -Can't thank you enough for your efforts. I for one would love to take the course. Appreciate your commitment to learning and sharing!
Flying Pitts S-2A, Piper Lance
Old 10-17-2012, 12:16 PM

Default Before going to school

Thanks much for the write-up Bob - definately whets the appetite to get into the class. Any preparation suggestions prior to the class for an engine "rookie"?

Thanks again,
Jim A
Old 10-17-2012, 06:02 PM

Default Just get a slot in the class schedule and show up

The class works well with all skill levels; trying to prepare would not help in my opinion.

I'm glad to be home - some weather challenges.

Bob Axsom
Old 10-18-2012, 11:17 AM

Awesome overview. thanks. I'm registered for March classes.
What route did you take to get there and back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Axsom View Post
The class works well with all skill levels; trying to prepare would not help in my opinion.

I'm glad to be home - some weather challenges.

Bob Axsom
Old 10-18-2012, 11:33 AM

Default Also see the June Kitplanes

There was an article on the class in the June 2012 issue of Kitplanes. Between it and Bob's reports, I bet the class waiting list explodes!
GNC255 Nav/Com, GA240 audio panel)
RV8, N188PD "Valkyrie" (by marriage)