Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-8/8A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2012, 05:25 PM

Default Ride in a central Indiana RV-8?

I just picked up my empannage and should be getting the wings here in a couple weeks... My RV-8 wishful thinking is now a reality. Sometime between next summer and 2025 I will by driving my own!

In the mean time, would there happen to be any RV-8 drivers near Anderson, Muncie, Indianapolis, etc who would be willing to give me ride in theirs? I have never been up in an RV and would love the opportunity to see what I am building. Several kind owners allowed me to sit in theirs during Osh Kosh this year and have already cost me several thousand dollars in tail and wings. I hate to think how much a ride will end up costing me!

I would be happy to put some fuel in the tank, lunch in a belly, or both.

Thanks!

Blake

Semper Fi
Old 09-13-2012, 10:13 PM

Default Welcome to RV-8 land

Congratulations Blake! You have come to right place Don't worry about the next flight costing you any extra money - you are already on your way into the deep-end with the purchase of the empennage! Good choice!
www.mykitlog.com/izzybear
VAF Dues gladly paid up till December 2021

"The ultimate responsibility of the pilot is to fulfill the dreams of the countless millions of earthbound ancestors who could only stare skyward and wish." - Unknown
Old 09-14-2012, 06:28 PM

Default Free ride

Hi Blake. I am further south in Jeffersonville, IN (just North of Louisville, KY). I would be more than happy to give you a free ride so you can see what it's like! I can fly up to Columbus, IN or something to make that happen too. We often go up there for a $100 hamburger/omlete. If you would like to PM me or email me, we can work it out (cccbuntin at insightbb.com). Dave
Old 09-15-2012, 09:58 AM

Let me know when you guys are going to meet up and, time and weather permitting, I could fly down and join in.

Builder: RV-8 "Smokey"
Old 09-15-2012, 10:17 AM

Sounds great! Email inbound.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:01 AM

Sounds fun..me too.

RV7 N612RA, flying since july 2012
E-170/175

RV10 Tail Kit complete, Wings 98%, Working on Finishing Kit, AEIO-540 on the stand
Acro Sport 2 on deck.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:56 PM

Default Sounds good.

We'll try to post when it will happen Don & Ryan. I am not completely done with the engine case swap-out from the crack. I just need to add oil and secure some of the spark plug wires and minor things. I want to fly it solo several hours before I take anybody up. Dave
Old 09-30-2012, 03:40 PM

Default My first RV ride - unforgettable!

So... My first ride in an RV was in an award-winning RV8! I am enjoying reliving the most exciting moments in the air I have ever experienced. Never mind that the flight ended with me white as a ghost, on the cusp of losing my huge, greasy breakfast (hindsight mistake, perhaps). Never mind that my wife (flying formation in an RV7 (another award-winner, by the way) has now decided that our -8 project should fatten up into a -7 project. Never mind that the planned Dramamine never made it into my stomach. Never mind that I ended up napping for an hour to recover... My wife tells me when we land that she wants to get her pilots license! Talk about the best intro to flying an RV that a guy could ask for! Thanks Dave and Wayne for the most memorable flying I could imagine! Now I am certain that I made the right choice to build this plane - just have to convince my wife that the -8 will be ok...

...or maybe we will have to build His-and-Hers. I think she would look great in a nice -6!

The biggest problem, though, was seeing the exquisite workmanship on these planes, wondering if I could possibly live up to that standard. Fellas, you have definitely set the bar high - both quality of build and incredible generosity to let a terrified back seated take the controls of one of the finest planes I have ever seen.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:06 PM

Default My/Our pleasure

Trent and Amanda, it was great meeting you and it was our pleasure taking you guys up and introducing you to formation flying and the RV experience. Just be strong and stay focused on the 8 -- that's the plane you really want no matter what Wayne and Amanda say .
Dave

PS Sorry no heads up Don and Ryan. We decided to do it Friday with a not so good forecast for Sat morning. We ended up delaying almost two hours before we left to Columbus. Fortunately by the time we finished eating, the wx was starting to clear.

Last edited by db8 : 10-01-2012 at 05:15 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:35 PM

No worries. Sounds like you guys gave a couple of great rides. And very good advice about sticking with the -8.

Builder: RV-8 "Smokey"