Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV Ongoing Maintenance Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2012, 09:56 PM

Default First year - maintenance & service

We have just completed the first year of flying the RV-7 - only 45 hours due to other priorities and weather.

The issues that we have encountered are listed below.

Continuous Duty Solenoid (Vans PN ES24118). Symptoms: slow deterioration in battery performance. Recharge would recover the volts, but eventually not enough current to turn the prop. Rapid volt drop after battery switch on - volt/amp readings normal after alternator on. Determined a leak of about 0.25v per day through solenoid, batt switch off. Replaced solenoid - problem fixed.

Re-Torque of Nuts. The following nuts needed re-torquing - they were not loose, but would have been if left much longer: both lower outboard engine mount, removed/replaced split pins; Both gear legs (nyloc); the two nyloc nuts on the two horizontal bolts which secure the tail wheel to the tail-spring.

The aircraft was built to plans: tip-up, Hartzell BA, Aerosport IO-360M1, E/Pmag combo, NGK Iridium BR8EIX, Dynon D100 EFIS, D120 EMS, AP74, Lowrance 2000c, Xcom 760 radio/intercom, Microair 2000 TX, B&C 40 amp Alt, basic weight 492kg, 1085lb, complete & painted. CofG empty is 78.24". Oil cooler is Vans supplied, baffle mounted.

The CHT spread is well within the 'rule-of-thumb' spread of 36degC, 65degF, and are cool in cruise with a max of about 204-208C, 405F, in a climb.

The EGT spread is within 44C, 80F.

Oil temp is OK in the cruise but can hit the max limit in a long climb at max power.

We are averaging about 30 litres (USG 8) per hour overall, mainly in local flights including 130 take-offs/landings, mostly touch & go. Added 5 quarts of oil in the first 30 hours, two in the last 20 hours.

On a recent cross country trip at close to max AUW we set (LOP) 30 litres per hour fuel flow at 8500ft PA/9K DA and cruised at about 138KIAS/158KTAS, 66%, 22.5 MAP (full throttle), 2360RPM, oil press 78psi, temp 86C (187F). All data observed, not calibrated, nor normalised, but matched ground speed, and fuel dip. CHT: 150/162/170/164C (302/324/338/327F). EGT: 751/708/724/716C (1384/1306/1335/1321F). GPS box indicates 4 kt faster than observed on the Dynon.

A very pleasing aircraft. Thanks to Doug for the site, and all the contributors who have paved the way.

Regards,

Bob & Shaun
Financial until 2029

Last edited by DeltaRomeo : 09-02-2012 at 07:52 AM. Reason: corrected typo in title
Old 09-03-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Re-Torque of Nuts : The following nuts needed re-torquing - they were not loose, but would have been if left much longer: the two nyloc nuts on the two horizontal bolts which secure the tail wheel to the tail-spring.
A very good friend of mine ground looped his plane when these two bolts sheared as a possible result of becoming loose over time. The tail wheel rotated 90 degrees. He was fortunate not to have more damage than what occurred. Pay attention to these...
Old 09-03-2012, 03:06 PM

Hey Bob

Welcome back from holidays, I have 7 hours left to fly off my Phase 1.
RV-7 Phase 2, 30 Oct 2012
1100 hrs Feb 2020
Old 09-03-2012, 06:12 PM

Congratulations on the build Bob, Make sure you say g'day if your ever in Darwin.

Scott Hartwich
RV-4 flying
RV-7 canopy nearly done
Old 09-03-2012, 11:55 PM

Default G'DAY

G'day Eddie & Scott,

Eddie - good progress. The weather sure has been better this winter compared to the last two years. I hope to increase the flying rate to take advantage of my allocation of good days remaining - hopefully another 15 to 20 years ! I would hate to waste them not flying, or on ordinary ales. Phone to swap lies when convenient.

Scott - we plan to fly through Darwin eventually, but during the dry, not the big wet. We are bound to meet eventually. Are you still in the RAAF ?

Shaun & I plan to arrive Narromine Wed 12 & depart Tue 18 Sep. We and a few other local volunteers will help with the fly-in. We hope you can join us.

Regards,

Bob
Financial until 2029
Old 09-04-2012, 12:41 AM

Default Photos at last

At last, after 12 months, the digitally competent younger son found time to coach his digitally challenged father to post photos on VAF.

Before first flight Aug 11:

From 'Sonic's' RV-8A:

The office:

Well, that was easy. Now I just have to remember the process.

Bob
Financial until 2029
Old 09-05-2012, 05:06 PM

Hi Bob, Great looking 7 you have !
I have just done my first Annual, and also found a few nuts that needed just a little bit of adjustment.
I have a std vans oil cooler mounted to the baffle and my temp sits at 184F in the cruise, and doesnt move much in the climb( maybe 5F +/- ).
I do have a plenum, so that my be helping here ?
Just a quick question, your manual trim, did you find a new black cover cap to fit over the ugly hole thats left when you remove the link inside of it. ( so that you cant go full trim up/down by accident )
0-360,carb,catto 3 blade.
VH-XJL
Old 09-05-2012, 06:23 PM

Default G'day

Bob, yes still here. The plan is to get back down to Willy in 2 years. You might talk to me on APR when you come up. If not I am sure we will catch up some time. Dry season is good, the weather is the same everyday, just dusty. The wet is much more spectacular, but I would want not stray too far from home.

Cheers
Scott
Old 09-06-2012, 02:36 AM

Default Jamie

G'day Jamie, & thanks.

If I remember correctly, I re-used the black knob that came with the cable, following the advice in the builder's manual. Otherwise, I must have discovered a replacement in the local hardware store.

No plenum on our aircraft. Probably i need to review & revise the baffling near the oil cooler.

Regards,

Bob
Financial until 2029
Old 09-06-2012, 02:38 AM

Default Scott

If we get to Darwin we will contact you.

Regards,

Bob
Financial until 2029