Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Activity Specific > Trip Write-ups
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2012, 10:26 AM

Talking 16 States: FL-NM-GA-OH-FL -34 Flight Hours

Short story. 16 States - FL-NM-GA-OH-FL - 34 Flight Hours.

Long story below. Continue at your own risk?.

PART 1

I didn't plan it this way but this is how it happened. (Or, How about that weather!!)

Late July 2012 - Ok, so we had our grand-daughter and 2 of our grand-sons in Venice over the summer school vacation (great fun) but now we had to get them home for school near Albuquerque, NM .

What to do? Well, I say to my lovely wife "Why don't you take the kids home via commercial air and I'll fly the RV-6 out to get you". She bought it and left 2 Aug. with the kids. We planned on being gone 12-14 days. Yeah, right.

The culprits ?. Kayla, Charlie, Sean and JJ

I left Venice, FL the next morning, Friday, 3 Aug at approx. 0720. Flight following out of Tampa cleared me thru the Class B over Clearwater and North I went until I hit Georgia. From there I went West to Newton, MS just West of Meridian for some cheap fuel (Cheapest of the trip at $4.60/gal). Short break and then West to KCWC Kickapoo Airport in Wichita Falls, TX. It was 108F on the ground when I got there late afternoon. I took another long break and went the final 2.5 hours to Moriarty, NM near where my daughters/grand-kids live. (They are moving to San Antonio which makes it ONLY a two tank trip from Venice )

Map of Routes

Leaving Venice

Overtop and The Mighty Mississippi River

I landed Moriarty Airport at approx. 1900 hrs between rainstorms. The wind was blowing 25mph right down the runway, which locals say is very unusual. Weather enroute was great and no diversions were required.

Total flight time first day 9.7 hours, which is exactly why every RV builder/now flyer says "These things are MAGIC CARPETS".

Note: somewhere over Texas an approach controller following me says "198RV say type". I say "RV-6" and he replies "I thought something was wrong, you are indicating 165kts and they have you down as a Cessna 172". Then he says "I want to build an RV-8. I'm flying a Cessna now". I say "Come join the party".

Near Amarillo, TX - Palo Duro Canyon (Visited there on a ground trip to New Mexico)

Gary Palinkas - Gman.... VAF #161
Venice, Fl
RV-6 "Sassy" Flying 400 hrs since Oct 2011
Lycoming 0-360 A1A, FP Sensenich Prop
SARL #19 .... Van's Calendar March 2015
Although exempt several ways, =VAF= Dues paid to support this awesome site/family
Old 09-03-2012, 10:30 AM

Default 16 States:Part 2

PART 2

So, I landed at 0E0 Moriarty (world famous for sailplanes, by the way). Parked, tied down and was picked up by my daughter and wife. The next morning I come out to the airport to check on getting a hangar since I'm going to be there for several weeks. Lo and behold, I had parked my -6 in front of a hangar who's owner has a -6 in it that he finished in 1998. He says "Hey, nice RV-6, why don't you leave it here in my hangar." Turns out his name is Tom Bender, is a retired US Air Force fighter pilot (F-111 and others) and was "location undisclosed" in SouthEast Asia when I was in Vietnam 1968-1969 with Marines VMFA-334. We hit it off and Tom and I went flying a little while I was there. He showed me what is rumored to be the Victoria Secret's mansion. It is out in the middle of nowhere New Mexico.

Victoria Secret Mansion ??

Rick Kohler -Owner/Operator of Sundance Aviation and the sailplane flight school was kind enough to give me the airport car for a week. Great people everywhere I went.

Tom Bender, USAF retired

While I was in NM I did a little flying over the local area so I thought "Why not contact some NM VAF people". Jon Finley (VAF YellerDaisy RV-3B) gives me a call and says "Let's do breakfast".We agree to meet at Estancia Airport just South of Moriarty. Estancia has a gravel strip and Tom Bender decides that he likes his wood prop too much to chance it . Turns out a wise choice. I dinged my HS even though I accelerated VERY slowly when departing. Looks like my left tire kicked it up at just the right angle. Anyhow, great breakfast and stories. A friend, Mike Marker in a RV-4 who flew F-4's in Vietnam comes with Jon. Thanks for breakfast Jon, I owe you. p.s. Mike "Magic" Marker was an F-4 driver and in addition to the RV-4, he has also built/flown an RV-12, Rans S-18, Glasair 3, Murphy Rebel, Vari-EZ, Long-Eze, Solitaire, and Kolb Firestar.

Jon Finley and crew …

Here is Jon's RV-3B that he uses to shoot all of that great New Mexico video that he posts on VAF.

Commemorative Air Force, Lobo Wing - Moriarty, NM is restoring a Beech 18 and hosts burger/chicken lunch every Saturday at noon. Lunch is FREE but you can make a small donation to the restoration cause. Did you hear that VLAD. Lunch is FREE.

Beech 18

Venice, Fl
Although exempt several ways, =VAF= Dues paid to support this awesome site/family

Last edited by GLPalinkas : 09-09-2012 at 07:56 AM. Reason: added text
Old 09-03-2012, 10:33 AM

Default 16 States: Part 3

PART 3

I spent the next several weeks appreciating my kids/grandkids until school started. We then started the journey home. On the return trip we decided to stop 3 nights in Lawton, OK near Ft Sill where our son was TAD from Virginia for ECM training.

Our son Richard (Operation Enduring Freedom, Afghanistan)

Ok here is where it gets "weather" interesting. We launch early from KLAW Lawton and make our way 3 hours East to Meridian, MS. for a fuel stop and to check the weather that I saw building across the big bend area of Florida. Turns out that there is a front draped across the entire top of Florida. OK I thought, we spend the night in Meridian and it will be gone tomorrow. I mean how long can one front produce those types of storms, right. The front was there early the next morning as we fly 3 more hours East to get a better look at it. It was definitely still there so we landed Dawson, GA.

Fogged in - Dawson, GA (actually fog in Meridian, MS, Dawson, GA and Albany, GA kept us grounded a lot)

Checked the route on weather again. No Go. We had to spend the night again North of the front. The next morning it looked like I might be able to sneak through some softer, light green only areas but the fog had us grounded until 10am. By then the storms had built again. My wife decided that she would like to take another visual look up close at the weather even though I assured her we were not flying through those storms. We launched, went South for 20 minutes when she says "I'm right". Turned around and went back to KABY Albany, GA. where the same events played out the next day. 4 NIGHTS AND DAYS in a place we didn't want to be, spending our gas money on hotels we didn't want to be at. Almost any place else in the country I could have made an end run around the storms but we were stuck waiting on mother nature.Too much RED and Yellow for me. By now, mother nature sent us another surprise, TS/Hurricane Isaac was originally destined to be heading to our neck of the woods in Florida. I said, "Enough already, we are going North to Ohio where we have friends and family"

Weather Maps

Our weather hold in Meridian was interesting as there are a lot of RVers there.

Eugene Blanks RV-4, Phillip Maples RV-7 and others

Some of America's Best were also grounded in Meridian.

Venice, Fl

Last edited by GLPalinkas : 09-04-2012 at 03:04 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-03-2012, 10:36 AM

Default 16 States: Part 4

PART 4

North we head from KABY and West around the Atlanta airspace and West of the Smoky mountains to try and get my bride a smooth ride. We fly near BRANTEL's (Hi Brian) airport but keep on going to London, KY. Had lunch and made the final 1 1/2 hr trip to KCDI Cambridge, OH where I was able to put my airplane in the main hangar for a week. Our friend owns a large farm there so we stayed a few days with him and then headed up to Cleveland to visit my relatives.

BRANTEL's neck of the woods, Chattanoga Airport…

Ohio River

KCDI Cambridge, OH

Here is the weather radar of Florida after we landed in Cambridge. Figures. Almost severe clear but with Isaac still looking like it was landing Venice.

Weather Map CLEAR

Visiting friends and family was awesome. I was able to squeeze in a day with mom and another playing with our grandson Carstan.

Friend's farm in Cambridge, OH

Visiting mom, daughter Ashley and my Grandson Carstan

Venice, Fl

Last edited by GLPalinkas : 09-03-2012 at 11:10 AM. Reason: added text
Old 09-03-2012, 10:39 AM

Default 16 States: Part 5

PART 5

After a week, TS/Hurricane Isaac had decided to visit other parts of country so our route back home was clear. We launched for Florida but decided that we couldn't fly over Augusta, GA without stopping to see my wife's parents.

Over West Virginia (5 hour drive thru WV, 30 minute flight )

Co-pilot pics

and when working my way around the weather my in-flight service helped. No, the pilot did not partake.

Stopped at KEHO Shelby, NC and had lunch at a great little BBQ joint called The Flying Pig via the airport car. Nice FBO, very friendly. We caught a small shower and had to wait to depart KEHO about an hour.

Shelby/Flying Pig

Making good time??

We stayed the night with my in-laws and the next morning made the 2 hour uneventful flight back home to Venice.

With the help of my on-board navigation system (navigator duties required her to abstain from liquid refreshment? )

Venice, Fl
Old 09-03-2012, 10:41 AM

Default 16 States: Part 6

PART 6

KVNC - Home Again

Overall, a great trip. The airplane performed flawlessly, hauling us and our gear around at near my set gross of 1700. Cruising at an average of 160kts/185mph. 34 hours. 5400 statute miles. This trip is the very reason almost all of us have built or are building these airplanes. The fact that an average guy like me can build an airplane in his/her garage and then wing their way around this great country on a long trip is still amazing to me. Builders, keep pounding them rivets. Dreamers, I say again, "Come Join The Party".

YeeHaw, I own an RV-6

Venice, Fl

Last edited by GLPalinkas : 09-03-2012 at 07:38 PM. Reason: added text
Old 09-03-2012, 10:58 AM

Great story! Great pics! I don't know how you do it without the Koger sunshade though.

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)
Old 09-03-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkatc View Post
Great story! Great pics! I don't know how you do it without the Koger sunshade though.
Koger shades are for wimps. I'm from Florida. However, I don'' fly below 65F....

(OK actually I am planning on a Koger shade before the next trip)
Venice, Fl
Old 09-03-2012, 02:56 PM

Default Great trip and photos

Love reading stuff like this and seeing the great places we can get in our planes. Nice job.

Flew to Osh 11,12,15,17,19. SNF 2013. West to Cali /Washington/Vancouver/crossed the Rockies north to Red Deer east to Moosonee and over to maritimes. South to Jekyll Isl, cedar key, and Key West etc. 7 trips and 17 islands of the Bahamas. Flown turtles and dogs for Pilots n Paws too. Love our Rv's
Old 09-03-2012, 03:52 PM

Moriarty it is Gary. On my list Great story and nice photography composition!

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.