What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

canopy pulled rivets ?

alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
1. Does anyone know the grip ranges for the AACQ 4-4 rivets that Van's calls for when attaching the slider skirt to the canopy frame? (Van's website indicates that the grip for a 4-4 is 1/4", but what is the minimum and maximum material thickness that is appropriate for this rivet?)

2. I have used a few washers as spacers between the frame and canopy as per the plans. If the AACQ4-4 are too short, given the added thickness of the washers, does anyone know whether and where I could find some AACQ 4-5 or 4-6 rivets?

Thanks

If the AACQ4-4 are too short, given the added thickness of the washers, does anyone know whether and where I could find some AACQ 4-5 or 4-6 rivets?

I bought some AACQ-4-6's from Wicks.

My strategy for deciding where to use them was as follows: If a particular hole was too deep for a regular cleco to grip properly and required a wing-nut cleco to hold it together, I used a -6. For a hole that a normal cleco felt okay in, I used a -4. Everything seemed to work okay even though this was not a very scientific method! :)

I only ended up using about a half dozen of the -6's, in the middle of the fiberglass canopy skirt where the thickness had built up.

mcb

Complete (correct) part numbers...

1. Does anyone know the grip ranges for the AACQ 4-4 rivets that Van's calls for when attaching the slider skirt to the canopy frame? (Van's website indicates that the grip for a 4-4 is 1/4", but what is the minimum and maximum material thickness that is appropriate for this rivet?)

2. I have used a few washers as spacers between the frame and canopy as per the plans. If the AACQ4-4 are too short, given the added thickness of the washers, does anyone know whether and where I could find some AACQ 4-5 or 4-6 rivets?

Thanks

Apparently, Vans does not use the full part number for these rivets, which confuses Google....:)

They are AACQ-0404 or AACQ-04-04

...and the full specifications are here....

http://www.rivetsinstock.com/rivet74.htm

It looks like the second dash number is the max. grip in 1/16s, and the have a grip range of 1/8 inch.

With the part numbers above, you should be able to find someone who stocks them...

gil A

Dimple or countersink?

My plans call for dimple countersink aluminum, machine countersink plexiglass (Notes 1 & 2, page 43, sliding canopy RV-9,) in preparation for installing AACQ-04-04 rivets to secure the canopy. The cross section views on the same page conflict with those notes, showing the aluminum apparently machine countersunk enough to receive the rivet countersunk head, but the aluminum is not shown as dimpled in the cross section views. While I can accomplish either method, I am curious about experiences for installation/aesthetics of these rivets in the canopy?

Back