- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:48 PM

Awesome pics Finley.

I could show you a different view of Wolfe Creek Crater and the Horizontal Waterfalls....... But I won't

So will we see you at AUSFLY in September?
Old 08-01-2012, 12:57 PM

Fantastic photos, Finlay. Thank you so much for sharing with us. It's very inspiring and motivational!
http://www.BrucesRV7A.com
Old 08-01-2012, 02:03 PM

Default Beautiful - and desolate countryside!

Finley - Thanks so much for sharing! Those are some pristine beaches, beautiful water, nice flat lands - and some desolate ranges of mountains... About the time you mentioned feeling "too alone" up there I was thinking, "wow, I bet the engine noise is all the focus over that stretch of the King Leopold ranges!" Pure inspiration!
Jim
www.mykitlog.com/izzybear
VAF Dues gladly paid up till December 2021

"The ultimate responsibility of the pilot is to fulfill the dreams of the countless millions of earthbound ancestors who could only stare skyward and wish." - Unknown
Old 08-01-2012, 02:24 PM

Default RV 7 A Towbar

To all RV Oweners and future builders A new and light design towbar is in pro
gress I will contact RV owener Max Lopez
Old 08-01-2012, 04:59 PM

Default Great!

I enjoyed the pictures and adds motivation for me. Beautiful!

Simplicity is the art in design.
I was born an airplane nut. I have no explanation for it.
My Artwork is freely given and published and cannot be patented.
www.rvplasticparts.com
Old 08-01-2012, 07:27 PM

After a good rest at Cape Leveque we were keen to get going and fly the 540 nm Kimberley coast route to Kununurra.

This was a flight that required some thought and preparation. Much of the area is very remote and there is no radar and little VHF coverage at our lower sightseeing height. There are virtually no areas suitable for a successful forced landing. Your choices are trees, rock or mudflats infested with large man eating salt water crocodiles. A water landing is not a desirable option as you would then have to contend with sharks and crocodiles.

There is an extensive HF network used mainly by IFR full reporting aircraft but many aircraft based in eastern Australia including mine do not carry an HF radio.
The best option would be to fly this route with another aircraft so in the event of a forced landing the other aircraft could give your position. I had the next best thing with Spidertracks satellite tracking set for 2 minute reporting intervals and auto SOS alerting. In retrospect I should have changed the setting to one minute intervals for this leg. I would have felt somewhat uneasy flying this route on my own without Spidertracks.

From Cape Leveque we flew down the western side of King Sound to Derby for fuel then more or less followed the coast to Kununurra with a comfort/lunch stop at Faraway Bay airstrip.

Tidal mangrove/mudflats between Cape Leveque and Derby
[IMG][/IMG]

Mudflats just after Derby
[IMG][/IMG]

Crocodile country
[IMG][/IMG]

An ancient landscape between Derby and Faraway Bay
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Lunch stop at Faraway Bay airstrip
Faraway Bay is an upmarket isolated resort. We would liked to have spent a couple of nights but at $7,400 ($7,740 USD) for a couple for two nights all inclusive it was a bit beyond our budget! We had previously arranged permission to use their airstrip.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

King George Falls near Faraway Bay You can just see a tourist boat on the water.
[IMG][/IMG]

Coast between Faraway bay and Kununurra
[IMG][/IMG]

Fin

Last edited by Finley Atherton : 09-02-2013 at 03:42 AM.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:48 PM

Spent the night and fuelled up at Kununurra then flew to Katherine/Tindal the next day.

Katherine/Tindal is a shared commercial/airforce base surrounded by a Military CTR and Restricted areas which were active for my flight. This meant a rather excruciating 120 nm low level flight in the VFR corridor closely following the Victoria Highway - very twisty, hot and rough.

Spent two nights in Katherine with the highlight being a cruise in the Katherine Gorge.
Katherine is a popular grey nomad stop over. I am told that the Woolworths Supermarket has the biggest sales in Australia due to all the grey nomads stocking-up.

Blazing smokey red sunset
[IMG][/IMG]

The serene Katherine Gorge
[IMG][/IMG]

Viewing the locals in Katherine Gorge (harmless freshwater crocodile)
[IMG][/IMG]

We had a great holiday so far but the best was to come next when we backtracked into the remote heart of the Kimberely and stayed on a friends property for three nights.

Fin

Last edited by Finley Atherton : 09-02-2013 at 03:43 AM.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:20 PM

Awesome pics Fin

just awesome!

We did a similar trip last year and it is the best time to go during July.

Katherine Gorge.....I can show you another view there too.....
Old 08-02-2012, 07:43 PM

Got up early for the leg back to Kununurra so we would be past the Restricted Zones before they became active.
From Kununurra we would fly to Kachana, a friends property/station/ranch for three nights. I suspected the airstrips could be rough for an RV so I only added enough fuel ( about 110 litres total) to cover the flying for the three days. Obviously less weight on the undercarriage is good but more fuel also moves the c of g forward putting more weight on the nose wheel.

Kachana is in the Durack Range about 1/2 hr flying time SW of Kununurra and was once part of El Questro station.
The WAC chart shows roads to Kachana but they don't exist. Flying is the only practical way there.

Flew a dogleg to see Lake Argyle on the way to Kachana

[IMG][/IMG]

Kachana has 5 airstrips. Chris, the owner, suggested we fly to his best strip where he would meet us in his Cessna 206 and take us to his home strip 5 nm away for a ground inspection to see if it was suitable for the RV. The "best" strip had plenty of length but the landing was downhill and the rough/undulating surface had the relatively stiff RV undercarriage working hard. However the undercarriage on the 206 also had to work hard on this strip.

Approaching Kachana. You may just see the buildings in the centre of the photo.

[IMG][/IMG]

The home strip is at 900 ft amsl, one way, with a favourable slope and about 420 m long. The strip was better suited for the high wing Cessna as there were a couple of steel star posts a bit too close to the runway so this limited the effective length to about 300 m for the low wing RV. There was also a low earth/grass bank on one side which could be an issue for a low wing aircraft.
I decided the strip was OK for the RV as the dimensions were similar to my own airstrip and I was well practised in precise short field landings.

Airstrip from about the halfway point Take off is away from the camera, landing toward the camera. The end of the strip is a bit this side of where the grass turns greener.

[IMG][/IMG]

We had a wonderful time at Kachana - the isolation, the magnificent landscape, interesting walks, swimming in beautiful waterholes, eating freshly caught barramundi - this is a landscape you could fall in love with.

We slept in a "bush camp" under the stars with the RV parked about 30m away.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

On the second day we took off at dawn and flew to the stunning Bungle Bungles in the World Heritage Purnululu National Park about 1/2 hr away and landed back at Kachana at 7.30 for breakfast.
[IMG][/IMG]

Fin

Last edited by Finley Atherton : 09-02-2013 at 03:44 AM.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:02 PM

Thumbs up Im ready

Where is the invitation ? Im ready if australia can be seen from an rv im in.
Nice trip wish it was me
N 694 MP