Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2012, 06:12 PM

Default Fiberglass side and rear sliding canopy skirt ?

Hello everyone I've decided to make my side skirts and rear skirts on my RV-6A out of fiberglass and carbon fiber. I went with the following layup; 3 layers of 6 ounce fiberglass cloth and 1 layer of 5.7 ounce carbon fiber cloth. Now my question is do you think this will be strong enough? It is quite rigid but not quite as rigid as the stock aluminum skirts. Next if you have used fiberglass skirts how did you attach them, glue or rivets. Lastly did you use the reinforcing C791? If so how did you attach this to the bottom of the inside of the fiberglass skirting, glue or rivets?

thanks guys,
William
Old 04-23-2012, 08:10 PM

Default Here's how I did

Hey Willam,
This is what I did. My skirts are thicker then most I think. I "think" I use 3 7oz. and 3 carbon. The last layer of carbon I put on after the first layers were sanded down, filled, and super smooth. Everything is screwed down. The reinforcements were made in carbon right off the aluminum ones.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:15 PM

wow - that looks great. Nice job!

Happy to be a 2012 and 2013 VAF supporter
Old 04-23-2012, 08:18 PM

I made a fiberglass rear skirt but kept the aluminum side skirts. I attached the rear skirt with counter sunk screws along the rear roll bar and riveted/epoxied the rear skirt to the aluminum side skirts.

For the main attachment at the rear, I took the following approach:
1. Drilled the rear roll bar and plexi for screws focusing mainly on how best to attach the plexi to the frame. I drilled through the frame and used nuts on the interior
2. When I was ready to attach the fiberglass skirt, I removed every other screw from the canopy and put the rear skirt in place.
3. Back drilled the fiberglass where I had removed the screws.
4. Counter sunk the fiberglass so the heads sat below the surface.
5. Attached the skirt to the frame.
6. Worked on the side skirt
7. Did the final filling and shaping when I was sure that rear skirt was on to stay
Jacksonville, FL
Old 04-23-2012, 08:45 PM

One more note. My plexiglas is only mounted with screws on the sides and down the center. The front and rear are just siliconed.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:03 PM

Some research shows that Sikaflex is not only a good solution to bond the canopy to the frame but also the skirt to the canopy, not really sure what it would look like from the inside but as I am going to attempt to venture down this path in a few months.

-david

Last edited by Flyguytki : 04-23-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:13 PM

I laid up a one piece skirt from 3 layers of glass & 2 layers of carbon. I used Sika to bond the canopy to the frame, no holes through the plexi other than for the latch on top. I attached the skirt to the frame & canopy with Sika 295, but also ran blind rivets into the outside surface of the side bows per plans. C791 reinforcements are blind-riveted to the inside of the side bow, again per plans, likewise riveted to the skirts with solid rivets.

Chris Frisella is an artist with carbon, mine is workable, but his looks so much better than mine that I'm going to decline posting photos

Like Chris's, mine is also a fair bit thicker (like maybe 3x) than the stock skirt material, but it's rock-solid, and you can't slide a business card between the skirt and the fuselage skin, anywhere.
1120+ hours as of August 17, 2021.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfrisella View Post
Hey Willam,
This is what I did. My skirts are thicker then most I think. I "think" I use 3 7oz. and 3 carbon. The last layer of carbon I put on after the first layers were sanded down, filled, and super smooth. Everything is screwed down. The reinforcements were made in carbon right off the aluminum ones.

Very interested how your windscreen layup is going to come together over the canopy.????
Repeat Offender / Race 007
Friend of the RV-1
Old 04-23-2012, 11:22 PM

Thanks everyone for the information, sounds like I'm on the right track. The main concern is how to secure the skirts to the frame and it appears I have 2 options. Either secure with screws/rivets, or glue on. I originally was going to go per the plans with rivets to attach the skirts and the c-791, but I'm very concerned with the possibility of the rivets pulling through the fiberglass/carbonfiber over time especially since these rivets will be countersunk into the skirt. Any thoughts on this?

thanks,
William
Old 04-23-2012, 11:27 PM

Yes... the aluminum skirts work the best and are really easy to install.
Repeat Offender / Race 007
Friend of the RV-1