Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-9/9A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-29-2012, 05:48 AM

It's great to see how a determined builder will make the best use of the smallest space! I enjoyed the photos and wish you well. I can't wait to see your first flight "RV grin" photo. Setting up the angle of incidence and drilling that rear spar was the most stressful part of my RV-6A build. I'm glad you figured out your problem and got through it.

Jim Bower
RV-6A N143DJ
St. Louis, MO
Flying since August 2011
Old 03-03-2012, 01:52 PM

Default Wings on at the hanger

We moved the plane to the hanger last month and began the process of attaching the wings and tail. Here we have the wings final set with horizontal and vertical stabilizer attached. This month we plan on attaching all the control surfaces and final wire to the terminal ends. Still a long way to go but it was nice to see progress after nearly 600 man hours of prep, primer and paint. We still have some buffing to do then wax and rebuff. Mechanical work first.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Pat Garboden
N942PT (reserved)
Lycoming O-320 150 hp
Old 03-03-2012, 06:38 PM

That looks awesome Pat!

RV-7A
Flying
1150 Hours
Old 03-03-2012, 10:31 PM

Default Thanks Jeff.

I can't wait to place all the parts on this to take a final picture. We even painted black stripes on the leg fairings, with the parts facing outward orange and the inside white to match the white belly and toenails on the wheel pants. I was given a military helmet by a friend of mine that lost a battle with cancer and I upgraded this to match the plane. He told me to paint it like the plane and wear it, so that is what I am going to do.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Pat Garboden
N942PT (reserved)
Lycoming O-320 150 hp
Old 03-04-2012, 05:39 AM

Default Neat

Pat,
That paint scheme will be a huge hit at the Young Eagles events!

Looks like fun!
RV-8 'Contrary Mary' flying
N784DE S/N #82614

www.fixedwingbuddha.com
Follow me on Facebook
Old 03-06-2012, 09:43 PM

Default Started Riveting...

Hey guys,

It's not much to share but here it is... after one month and a half of work since receiving my kit, here are the first rivet installed on my kit!

Vertical stabilizer rear spar...

I installed most of those with my rivet gun; I have more experience with a rivet gun so I find it's way faster for me to use than my hand squeezer... Also, sometimes with the squeezer, the shop head doesn't set straight, which I don't have any problems when bucking instead...

Anyway, here's the rivet gun I am using; ATS Pro E Series... The new trigger is soo sweet and easy to control!

Finally, for those who would be interested in following my build, take a look at my kitlog website;
http://www.mykitlog.com/CMBAero/

Thanks!
Old 03-17-2012, 10:09 AM

Default Exterior is complete

The large parts of the puzzle are in place. Now we are working on the interior and the thousands of little items that have to be checked off the list. Hope to start the engine for the first time this month. Several people have asked to see what it looks like when all the parts are in place, so, here is a sampling to enjoy. Thanks to those that have encouraged me along the way.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Pat Garboden
Katy, TX
N942PT (reserved)
RV9A Lycoming O-320 150 hp Sensenich prop
Old 04-09-2012, 12:00 AM

Default First Start

Finally got to the first start today! I had serious questions about whether my 4.5 yr old, highly-abused Odyssey would crank it over but piece of cake! Even with two plain Slick Mags the thing fired after only 2-3 blades! Thanks Aerosport Power! No drips, fire, or smoke! Only issues:

1. My Dynon tach values need to be changed b/c my RPM was only reading half of what I finally figured out it should have been. As a consequence, I was running at higher RPM than I intended until I figured out what was going on.

2. I might have some radio noise, perhaps from the alternator (Brand new Plane Power) but, honestly, things seemed to be happening so fast that I really didn't have time to see if my intercom settings might have been the culprit. We'll see on the next go around.

Per Mahlon's instructions via one of Paul Dye's posts, I kept everything under 300F on the CHT, let it cool, and then ran it for just a minute a second time with a portable tachometer to confirm that my RPMs were double what they showed on the Dynon.

As someone else recently mentioned... if you have a chance, have a video camera inside the cockpit to record what the Dynon is showing. Other than keeping my eyes on the CHT and oil pressure indications, I was having a hard time processing everything I was seeing! I suppose I could try to download the Dynon data, but that's another learning curve itself!

Anyway, all in all, a good use of my day in between church and Easter dinner!

Quality not great, but here's the proof: http://youtu.be/r7aVU5RKIZU

Donation reminder: Jan. 2022

Last edited by alpinelakespilot2000 : 04-09-2012 at 12:03 AM.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:09 PM

Default Way to Go!!!!!!

Hey Steve,
Congratulations !!!!! Must be getting close to the first flight now! Just turned 930hrs in mine. Your going to LOVE flying your plane!
Best of Luck on your first flight.
Flyinmonque
Old 04-10-2012, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinelakespilot2000 View Post
Finally got to the first start today!

Steve congratulations! Getting closer and closer

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.