Finally got to the first start today! I had serious questions about whether my 4.5 yr old, highly-abused Odyssey would crank it over but piece of cake! Even with two plain Slick Mags the thing fired after only 2-3 blades! Thanks Aerosport Power! No drips, fire, or smoke! Only issues:
1. My Dynon tach values need to be changed b/c my RPM was only reading half of what I finally figured out it should have been. As a consequence, I was running at higher RPM than I intended until I figured out what was going on.
2. I might have some radio noise, perhaps from the alternator (Brand new Plane Power) but, honestly, things seemed to be happening so fast that I really didn't have time to see if my intercom settings might have been the culprit. We'll see on the next go around.
Per Mahlon's instructions via one of Paul Dye's posts, I kept everything under 300F on the CHT, let it cool, and then ran it for just a minute a second time with a portable tachometer to confirm that my RPMs were double what they showed on the Dynon.
As someone else recently mentioned... if you have a chance, have a video camera inside the cockpit to record what the Dynon is showing. Other than keeping my eyes on the CHT and oil pressure indications, I was having a hard time processing everything I was seeing! I suppose I could try to download the Dynon data, but that's another learning curve itself!
Anyway, all in all, a good use of my day in between church and Easter dinner!
Quality not great, but here's the proof: http://youtu.be/r7aVU5RKIZU