- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:42 AM

Default Tip: Engine Baffle Material Install

I'm currently in the process of doing a complete rebuild on a 25 year old 4, engine airframe and also converting it to a fastback. Over the years I've used and seen many ways to attach the baffle material to the engine baffles, an rivets, soft rivets, screws and nuts, pop rivets and more. I don't care for most of these options but have had success with softened AN rivets with a aluminum strip inside. The photos attached show how I've done this 4. some of you may like it some may not, just posting for your info, also I looked a bit for past info on this and didn't find much if I'm just rehashing past stuff here just ignore.
Jerry

Old 01-22-2012, 11:47 AM

Default Interesting

I'm actually off the hangar today to start putting baffle seal on the baffles. Do I understand you that there is, or will be an aluminum strip? Is it under or over the seal?
Old 01-22-2012, 11:59 AM

No alum strip on this setup but you do need one if you use rivets. The staples are actually for hardwood flooring, you can see the drill guide I used to do the holes in the photo lying beside the unibit. I just pushed the staples through, cut them to the desired length, lay the back (closed end of staple) on a long steel bucking bar and clinched the ends over with a small hammer. You can put them either direction I thought it looked better with the clinched end bedded in the baffle fabric.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:49 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

That's very much the way the baffle seals were attached on my 1975 Grumman Yankee. the only problem I had was it was that after years of service, the steel staples didn't play well with the aluminum baffle material - galvanic corrosion set in, and the edges of the baffles became to rotten to re-use. But by that time, the baffles were pretty badly cracked, with numerous repairs.

Paul
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com