- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:05 AM

Question Ideas on jacking aircraft

I understand using a small jack to jack the airplane for removing a wheel assembly. Are there any low cost ideas floating around to jack the entire aircraft off the ground for fitting the main and nose leg fairings. I have researched the site and the prefab wing jacks seem a tad expensive. Any ideas are welcome.
Thanks
Phelps
Old 01-15-2012, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s24789 View Post
I understand using a small jack to jack the airplane for removing a wheel assembly. Are there any low cost ideas floating around to jack the entire aircraft off the ground for fitting the main and nose leg fairings. I have researched the site and the prefab wing jacks seem a tad expensive. Any ideas are welcome.
Thanks
Phelps
These were about $40/ea at Harbor Freight, then you just have to have a friend with a welder.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:30 AM

I am building a 9A and use the harbor freight hydraulic cart lift set just aft of the fire wall. After I get it to height, I put a 2x4 inside the lift to hold it in place. The hydraulic pump is only a backup at that point. It's rated 1,000 pounds. I also don't have the wings on, so that makes it easier.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...hydraulic+cart

Harmon
Old 01-15-2012, 06:05 AM

Default Yep

Quote:
....... Are there any low cost ideas floating around to jack the entire aircraft off the ground for fitting the main and nose leg fairings. .... Any ideas are welcome.
Thanks
Phelps
I use two bottle jacks and a couple of concrete blocks with a short piece of wood on top. Screw a bolt into the tiedown holes and jack there.

Best,
Building RV-12, Wings, fuse, emp complete. FWF in progress.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:38 AM

Here is another idea, a rube goldberg looking contraption. I had a transmission jack laying around, and this was a 15 minute conversion. It is bolted to the tiedown ring for security. Another feature of this is you can change the lift range in minutes. Has worked very well for many aircraft.
[IMG][/IMG]
RV12 built and flying

Last edited by DonFromTX : 01-15-2012 at 08:46 AM.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:46 PM

Default Cheap Jacks

I bought cheap screw jacks (~20$ea.) from Home Depot online. I think an advantage of screw jacks is that they will not "leak down" over time. Bases were fabricated from scrap plywood.

Eric
Old 01-15-2012, 10:38 PM

This assumes you have the fuselage on the gear with tires (you said you were messing with fairings). Get a friend to hold the tail down, raising the nose. Slide a sawhorse under the fuselage at the firewall. Needs to be slightly below firewall elevation when the tail is down. I suggest padding the sawhorse a bit. My sawhorse was built from a flat 2x6, so plenty of surface area. Then you can lift the tail and put another padded sawhorse under the tail. Might take a bit of shimming to get the fuselage level fore-aft as well as laterally, but this is generally pretty stable unless you put weight on the wingtips.

Greg
Old 01-15-2012, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Thanks
Phelps
Easiest, cheapest and most portable method, and tested this week!:

Find a sturdy support, such as a tool chest, that is about the right height to support one wing. Pad it with foam.

Then, find a friend to crouch under the wing near the tip and lift up until the wheel is clear of the ground. Roll the padded tool chest into position under the spar, just outboard of the pitot tube position (or equivalent on right side). Ask your friend to relax.

This is fast (about 30 seconds) and secure. It's also possible to do in the field if you can find someone to help and a sawhorse or tool chest.

BTW, we estimate the force to lift on the tip is about 100 lbs. Well within the capability of one person to lift. Haven't tried it on a tail dragger, but should work with the tail support in about a level position.

For the nose gear, either pull the tail ring down to a weight (concrete filled tire) to lift the nose, or use an engine hoist to lift the nose off the ground. If you use the tail tie down, tie a bowline in the tie-down rope, loop the rope through the tie down ring, down to the ring in the weight, then back up through the loop of the bowline. When you pull on the bitter end, you get a 2:1 mechanical advantage to assist in pulling the tail down.
RV-9A complete
Harmon Rocket complete
Part of EAA award-winning OnSpeed team
The VV in huVVer.tech
Victoria, BC (Summer)
Chandler, Az (Winter)

Last edited by vlittle : 01-15-2012 at 11:25 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:35 AM

Default Hydraulic cart

I too use the hydraulic cart.

I bought it on sale from HF for $80.. primariliy its for lifting my Sam James cowl lower half up into position with simple 2*4 frame bolted to the top.

I lift the wing one side at a time under the lifting eye. You could probably lift the whole airplane with it.I just never tried.

Frank
Old 01-16-2012, 07:04 AM

Default Options

Quote:
....a small jack....Are there any low cost ideas floating around.....
I have and use 3 different types of jacks to raise the RV's but by far my favorite is the DIY wing jack. Requiring no welding, I fabbed up a simple wing jack built around a ram jack available at HF for little investment in labor and not much money. If the link in the original post is still correct, that ram jack is currently on sale for $39.99. I described its easy construction here:

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...light=diy+jack

If you simply want to raise and hold the the nose wheel off the ground so you can service the gear, there is no quicker way of accomplishing that task than by simply piling a few heavy bags onto the empennage. I use three or four 25 lb. lead shot bags although sand bags would work almost as well:

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...11&postcount=1
EAA Technical Counselor