camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Virtual Hangar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2009, 11:23 PM
Super Moderator

Default Camera, Storage and Posting

Great, now you select "Create Gallery"

Now you have to upload your photo to the gallery.
Depending on if this your first time it may bring up the following screen. Click on the tab for either Mac or Windows. I always use "Simple" for uploading.

If you don't get that screen and you are in your newly created gallery, click on "add photos".

Once you click "Simple", your screen will look something like this.

You can either upload a folder (containing lots of photos), or you can upload individual photos. In this example I clicked on "add files" and selected one photo. I then clicked on "Upload"

Once it finishes uploading, it will say, "Upload Complete" and your gallery will look something like this.

Now you have your photo(s) uploaded to Smugmug. From here there are tons of things you can do. Usually Smugmug is "smart" and is able to rotate the photos for you. If not you click on the "tools" menu and rotate the photos that didn't work. You can delete individual photos or by bulk.

If you put your mouse over a photo you can save the photo or view it larger or smaller.

Example of tools pull down menu.

RV-10 N104XP (1280 Hours)
RV-12 N321UT (Sold)
Old 01-04-2009, 11:24 PM
Super Moderator

OK, now lets open a new thread in VAF and insert a picture and a link.
First select "New Thread" and add a title to your thread and do any typing you would like. You can add bold text, different size, ect... If you do select bold for example, the words between the [b]'s will be bold.
So this is what we have so far.

Now you need to copy the link of the picture from your Smugmug account. There are two ways to do this.

1. Right Click on the photo, and select "Copy Image Location"
This will also copy the current size of the photo you are currently viewing. Remember, you can put your mouse over the photo and select "Large, X-Large, Medium, ect..."
I typically post all my pictures in the "Large format".

2. The other way is click on "Share Photo", then "Get a link"

You will then get this screen. You just have to click on the link / size you want and it will automatically copy the link.

Either way works great, now we just have to copy it into the the thread.

Once we have the link copied we click on the yellow square which is the insert picture button, see below.

That will pop up this screen.

Now just paste the copied image into this section. I typically use the shortcut for pasting which for make is "apple+V", for PC it is "CTRL+V", or you can just select "edit" then "paste".
You not have this.

Now just click OK and it adds this to the thread.

RV-12 N321UT (Sold)

Last edited by ScottSchmidt : 01-04-2009 at 11:32 PM.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:24 PM
Super Moderator

To add a link that is active and navigates you to a different page. Click on the world button with a link.

It will pop up this link, just add the link into it.

Your thread now will look like this.

Once you select "Submit" you are done. It now looks like this.

The pictures in this case are only linked to the thread and don't have to uploaded to VAF. Pretty slick.

Like I mentioned, on Smugmug most of my photos are "Large". A shortcut to changing the size of the photo can be done when you copy the link into the VAF "insert image" pop up menu. You will notice a M.jpg or L.jpg, or XL.jpg. You just have to change the M to L if you want a large image.

Now I do not claim to be an expert at this and many of you probably know a heck of lot more about this but hopefully those of us that are still learning can follow this to create great threads with lots of great pictures.

I feel that Smugmug does a great job preserving the quality of the photo that my Canon camera takes which is why I don't lose much quality when it reduces the size of the photo.
Smugmug has a forum site as well to help you if have questions.

Good luck.

RV-12 N321UT (Sold)

Last edited by ScottSchmidt : 01-04-2009 at 11:33 PM.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:03 PM

Scott has a great knack for getting a great image. Just because you go out and buy a 25 megapixel camera with 10,000 bells and whistles doesn't mean you will get shots like his every time.

Just like having a $500,000 airplane doesn't make you a better pilot. (If someone will give me one I will test the theory though)

RV-7 Sold
RV-4 - Flying - O-320 Fixed Pitch - Red over Yellow

Old 01-12-2009, 11:37 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Default Scott, thanks

Just to add a bit to Scotts excellent post.

A friend sent me photos he had taken of my wife going for a ride in a friends Christian Eagle, linked to SmugMug.

I remembered this thread about the site, and decided to try posting from there, even though the Smugmug account was not in my name, guess what???

It worked just fine----after I did what Scott said, that is.

I am signing up for an account today

Scott, do they give you a commission on new accounts??

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 01-12-2009, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

Default Yup, they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S View Post

I am signing up for an account today

Scott, do they give you a commission on new accounts??
They do Mike. If you put my e-mail into the "e-mail/coupon" section you get $5 off and I get a $10 credit. (I'm pretty sure it is $5, could be $10)
scottmschmidt@yahoo.com

Thanks Man!

RV-12 N321UT (Sold)
Old 07-23-2009, 12:41 AM

Default Ah... the Dolomites

Referring to post #9....
IMO the most spectacular place on earth!
Doug Gray

Last edited by Doug : 07-23-2009 at 12:48 AM.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator

Default Flying to Johnson Creek

Johnson Creek - A quick reference guide to approaching and landing at Johnson Creek.

Here are some screenshots from Google Earth as well as some of my own pictures of flying into Johnson Creek. I do not claim to be the master and I highly highly encourage everyone to take the mountain flying course at McCall ID. I have been lucky to sit and talk about flying into Johnson Creek and Big Creek with people who are experts. I have not taken the course but would love to someday.

http://www.airnav.com/airport/3U2
Johnson Creek (3U2) is located in the middle of Idaho's most beautiful country and features some of the best if not the best airplane camping in the world.
Here are some suggestions for landing and departing there.

When to fly there?
I believe Johnson Creek opens Memorial Day and closes Labor Day. I guess it never closes but it is not attended and the showers are closed.

The best time to fly in and out is in the morning and in the late afternoon.
Around 12pm the winds will go from 0 to 10 instantly and typically will not let up until the late afternoon.
The runways are north/south and it slopes up to the south so you will almost always takeoff to the north and land to the south.

How to approach?
If this is your first time, you may want to over fly the airport and plan on flying up the canyon (to the south) from the town of Yellow Pine. You have to make sure you are at the right altitude because if you do this you will not have visibility of the runway until that final right turn. This is how I did my first approach and it worked great.

This is what you will see when you fly up the canyon.

When you fly over Johnson Creek there is usually someone down there with a handheld radio you can ask for the wind. If not, you can check the windsocks.

So, here is a picture on Google Earth looking to the south showing the landing up the canyon. You will definitely be in the canyon for this approach. If you are too high add power early and fly up the canyon for a little while before turning, unless your high enough turning crosswind will be very tight and not recommended. I have done this and we are lucky that the RV's have such a great climb rate. I've seen some very scary go-arounds.

My typical approach is to fly over the airport to check the winds (I am usually approaching from the south), make a turn near the town of Yellow Pine (try not to fly directly over the town) and start the approach with an upwind on the west side of the airport flying to the south. This gives you another chance to check the winds, make your calls and check for traffic.
I then make my crosswind and start the decent. I cannot tell you how many times I have seen planes not start their decent soon enough and end up way too high and have to go around, this is where a mountain flying course would be great. I'm not saying a go-around is bad because it is exactly what you should do if it does not feel or look right, just make that decision sooner than later. You will be in the canyon in a proximity to trees that you may have never felt before if this is your first time.
You will then make your downwind as you are descending and hugging the east side of the airport. Wait to make your base until the terrain turns you, it opens up on the north side of the approach. This will actually put you west of the runway approach, you will then make a normal approach.
Make sure your speeds look good on final. The runway is pretty long and is uphill so if your are right on your speeds it will slow down fast.

This is looking to the north.

Here is another view of the approximate approach looking to the south.

Starting the downwind leg

A view on the downwind leg from the cockpit.

Departure
The departure is to the north (downhill).
It is pretty straight forward. After liftoff it is advised to make a 10 degree turn to the right to give you more visibility to see possible landing traffic and increase your travel distance before turning down the runway. It also may give you a chance to return to the airport if you have problems.

I hope that helps with orientation of this runway.
Here is another write-up of flying to the Johnson Creek with more pictures.

Johnson Creek / Big Creek Idaho July 4th 2008
http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...ad.php?t=31832

RV-12 N321UT (Sold)

Last edited by ScottSchmidt : 03-29-2010 at 07:40 PM.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator

SAVING A POST FOR FUTURE JOHNSON CREEK POSTS

RV-12 N321UT (Sold)
Old 01-03-2012, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator

Default Formation Pictures

2011 Oshkosh was a great year for formation pictures. We had some really nice ones on the way to Oshkosh and during Oshkosh Jim Beyer took up Tim Olson's wife in his Bonanza to get this 3-ship that made the 2011 calendar.

Tim Olson and Sean Strasburg

This is the one that made the calendar (August)

RV-12 N321UT (Sold)

Last edited by ScottSchmidt : 01-03-2012 at 10:58 PM.