Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2011, 07:58 PM

Default Homemade Close Quarters / Tight Fit Dimpling fixture

Working on my -8 empenage I found I was unhappy with the results of the close quarter rivet puller style dimples. I also didn't want to pay almost 30 bucks (although they are very nice) and wait for shipping for a Tight Fit Dimpling Fixture from one of the usual suppliers.

This was my solution to the problem and I'm incredibly pleased with the resulting dimples.

Total cost for this tool (not including the dimple dies I already had) was about 50 cents and took about a half hour to make. Another plus is that you can change the dies for different sizes. If you want to make on yourself here's what I did.

1.5"x4"x3/16" scrap steel

Mark the center whole of one of your close quarter dimple dies (included in most basic RV kits) near on corner of the bar leaving about 1/8" on each edge. Center punch the mark. Drill a 1/8" (or whatever bit you have thats convenient) pilot hole. Using a 1/2" drill bit countersink a hole in the plate until the wall of the countersink is approx 1/16"-1/8" deep. Check dimple die fit in the countersink and countersink deeper as desired. Use a file or grinder to round the corner and edges. Debur/buff with scotch-brite wheel.

I'm sure other people have come up with similar methods but figured this might help some people avoid some downtime.

Enjoy and keep building!
Columbus AFB, MS
Old 11-14-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
I also didn't want to pay almost 30 bucks (although they are very nice) and wait for shipping for a Tight Fit Dimpling Fixture from one of the usual suppliers.
Don't be afraid to name us!

Cleaveland Aircraft Tool
Link to tight fit dimpling fixture:
http://www.cleavelandtoolstore.com/p...mber=DIE4263DF

The original idea came from just putting a countersink in a chunk of steel, but you lose the springback on the female dimple die. For those of you rolling your own, if you have access to a 1/2" endmill it makes an easy counterbore using John's method.
800-368-1822
www.CleavelandTool.com
mike.toolman (at) gmail.com

Like on Facebook - Follow on Twitter - See on YouTube
Old 11-14-2011, 01:42 PM

I think I'll go with the Cleaveland Tools version. If you have to destroy a dimple die to make a DIY version it doesn't seem to be much of a savings.

I managed without out it on my empennage, but it was a waste of my time. I ended up using my pop rivet dies and my no-hole squeezer to get into the small space. Sometimes its better to just buy the right tool for the job and move along.
Sensenich Composite 3 Blade Propeller
RV-7 Fuselage in progress
* Cabin Interior - In progress
RV-7 SB Wings
* Both Wings fully skinned
* Fuel Tanks Complete - No leaks finally
* Ailerons Complete
* Flaps Complete
RV-7 Empennage - Complete (a little fiberglass work left)
Vans Training Kit # 2 - Complete
RV-7 Preview Plans
Vans Training Kit #1 - Complete
EAA Sheet Metal Class - Complete
Old 11-14-2011, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapid_ascent View Post
I think I'll go with the Cleaveland Tools version. If you have to destroy a dimple die to make a DIY version it doesn't seem to be much of a savings.
Maybe I'm missing something here, but why would you have to destroy a die to do this? It looks like John did, but I don't think you would have to. Just slide the tail of the die in the pilot hole, or enlarge it so it fits.
920-216-3699
RV-7, 5 yr build, flew it 68 hours, sold it, miss it.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:44 PM

Default No damaged dies

I didn't damage any dimple dies at all with my method. I used the close quarters dies that you put a nail through and use with a rivet puller (I just didn't like the dimples you get that way). They sit perfectly in the plate I fabricated.

Or, as Chad said above, you could just drill a larger pilot hole and slide the tail through but you don't end up with as thin a tool that way.
Columbus AFB, MS