- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:09 PM

Default New G3X Panel

Well, this is going to be an interesting adventure. My RV-7A has a strictly VFR panel and the only attitude information is a now dead electric turn coordinator. The current panel has a 696 mounted and a two axis Tru Track Digiflight II auto pilot (without vertical steering). Lack of an artificial horizon has made using the turn coordinator the primary attitude indicator for the hood portion of my BFR.

The EFIS savings envelope just reached the amount Stein quoted for a new Garmin G3X Single display GDU 370 system; so I did what any red blooded RV pilot would do - I ordered one Since I already have the 696 with WX weather and the Tru Track autopilot, and there are no more funds in the upgrade budget, my new panel is going to have to be built up with what I have. It isn't going to be IFR capable since a 430 isn't in the budget but I will be able to fly under the hood with a safety pilot and the EFIS is there for emergencies.

[Removed comments about features I would like to see added. Garmin's new software release this morning fixed all of my concerns]

Will post periodic updates on the progress. This is only possible because of Garmin's recent price reduction - THANKS GARMIN and Stein. I wouldn't have been able to afford a G3X otherwise.

Original panel:

Second panel upgrade:

Third panel upgrade - Underway

Where is Steve and the Sky Terrier?
RV-7A Slider, O-360 A1A, Catto 3 blade, 2 screen Garmin G3X Classic, GTN 650, Bionics APRS. FLYING since June 24, 2009
EAA Chapter 21

Last edited by newtech : 09-17-2011 at 11:25 PM. Reason: New software release
Old 09-15-2011, 03:06 AM

Out of curiosity, what is the XLR connector for?
Old 09-15-2011, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911pilot View Post
Out of curiosity, what is the XLR connector for?
My Sennheiser headsets came with XLR connectors for ships power. A trip to the Aero department of Radio Shack yielded the mating connectors. My wife and I went to Oshkosh a couple of years age and a new headset for her was on our scavenger hunt list. I was expecting to come home with a Bose headset but she liked Sennheiser the best. To keep everything simple I picked up a matching refurbished one last year.
RV-7A Slider, O-360 A1A, Catto 3 blade, 2 screen Garmin G3X Classic, GTN 650, Bionics APRS. FLYING since June 24, 2009
EAA Chapter 21

Last edited by newtech : 09-15-2011 at 05:22 AM.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:13 AM

Ahhh.. Leave it to Sennheiser...

I"m an audio pro and I use them all the time not used to seeing it in an airplane though.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:26 PM

Default Coming back together

This shows the GDU 370 mounted beside the GPSMap 696. The two don't look too bad together
The partial instrument holes will be filled in this winter when I patch and refinish the carbon fiber panel.

SteinAir, the class operation that they are, sent a schematic, tailored to my panel, for me to use in making the
new wiring harness. This level of service sure makes me glad I went with Stein for my new G3X.
EAA Chapter 21

Last edited by newtech : 09-17-2011 at 11:32 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:20 PM

Now all the fun begins. I started with a schematic Stein created for me that included most of the items that will be in my panel. You "gotta" love the hand holding you get from SteinAir.

Using the schematic I made a spreadsheet that had a line for each wire on the schematic that included the beginning point, ending point, wire type, and comment field; the rows were colored according to the wire type.

A trip to the airport with a notebook and tape measure yielded a drawing of what my wiring harness should look like. When I built my plane I covered one wall of the garage with a peg board. The peg board would now become the work surface to construct the new wiring harness. The wiring harness was drawn on the peg board with sheet metal screws placed at each connector location. The holes being on 1" centers really made the layout super simple.

There is a wire on the peg board for each line on the wiring list spreadsheet. Just wrap the wire around the sheet metal screw at each end of the wire. I used lacing twine to tie the ends of the multi-conductor cables to the sheet metal screws. When all lines on the spread sheet have been checked off you start in the middle and work your way out lacing up your new wiring harness. All of the green tags are pieces of tape on the ends of each wire with the spreadsheet line number that identifies the wire. These will later be replaced with heat shrink tubing labels.

After removing the harness from the wiring jig it was checked in the plane to make sure everything fit before installing all of the connectors..

Next up is to remove the rats nest of old wiring and install the new harness. The pin dies for the crimper I bought on e-Bay should be here in a couple of days; so the connectors will have to wait until they arrive.
EAA Chapter 21

Last edited by newtech : 09-23-2011 at 08:15 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:52 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks Steve,

Quite impressive and instructional....

We learn something new everyday!

Send Doug a check...VAF.com is worth every penny.

Glenn
RV-7 Coming Soon
N987RV Reserved
2015 Donation Gladly Paid

"Maintain Thy Airspeed, Lest the Earth Arise and Smite Thee"
Old 10-11-2011, 04:06 PM

And no smoke was released Shows the GDU 370 and GPSMap 696 with weather sitting together in the panel.
EAA Chapter 21

Last edited by newtech : 10-11-2011 at 04:09 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:34 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Default Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtech View Post
And no smoke was released
\

Aint that a grand feeling when the smoke stays where it belongs on the first power up.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 10-12-2011, 06:38 AM

Default Magic Smoke

Congrats on the new system, and a successful install! It is a great system, you will love it!
www.BendixKing.com
TruTrak

RV-4 214NY "Carrie Ann"
RV-10 989TS - undergoing complete overhaul!!!
Always flying someone else's airplane too
EAA - 309420