What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin G3X (non-touch) with GSA28 AP Question

Dragg

I'm New Here
Just flew home a 'new to me' RV8. Great build and very nice 8. After getting acquainted with it, I have been trying to understand the AP setup. All the AFCS tests work perfect, the pitch and roll trims are displayed on the PFD but each time I engage the AP, it seems to have a mind of its own. Just wondering if anyone has the 8 specifics on the AP setup. There are a few Autopilot setup pages; Manual Electric Trim, Roll Servo, Pitch Servo & Pitch Gain. Thought would ask what others have these settings at just as a comparison. Going to start the complete setup (from Garmin), when I get a chance.

I had to turn down the gains to stop it "hunting" in pitch. I could see the elevator jittering in the mirror.
I can get the settings I'm using now later (don't have them handy)

Garmin provides detailed instructions that show how to configure, test, and tune their autopilot. If you have any doubt whatsoever about whether this has been accomplished completely and correctly, I would start from the beginning: Appendix H, section H.4.5 in the current installation manual (revision AS).

RV-14 AP

Just FYI I had to tune my settings much lower than the Vans recommended parameter to keep it from "hunting". Even now I can feel an occasional oscillation that peaks my attention.

Here's where I am right now. Don't know if these are "optimum" values, but I just fiddled with the settings until it calmed down. Seems to do what I want without the "jitters" now.

Attachments

• IMG_2221.JPEG
    IMG_2221.JPEG
    692.7 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_2222.JPEG
    IMG_2222.JPEG
    657.6 KB · Views: 43
Back