What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Leveling for fuel calibration vs W&B, 1" or 2"?

subpar_bucker

Well Known Member
Getting ready to calibrate the fuel quantity and noticed a discrepancy between the PAP and the MM.

MM Weight and Balance section says:

8. Roll aircraft onto 2 inch (5cm) blocks under main wheels and chock wheels.
9. Level the aircraft with reference to the canopy side rail/deck by inflating/deflating nose tire or main tires as appropriate or by increasing or decreasing block thickness.

PAP Fuel Calibration says:

Roll aircraft onto 1 inch (2.5 cm) blocks under main wheels and chock wheels. Check the canopy decks for level and shim nose wheel as required.

I'm assuming the main point is the canopy deck is level either way, and I still have the 2" blocks used for the W&B, so I'll use them again.

Blocks

I level in the garage that way except I know which needs to go up so one tire doesn't get a block. I just lift the side that needs to go up. Once level in roll, it needs a little pull down on the tail tie down ring to get pitch level. I have a heavy farm equipment weight with a mini winch. A few clicks and it's level. I usually put a padded saw horse under the 712 bulkhead so it can't change or fall.

Back