What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Air Flow performance pump vs Vans supplied Andair pump

There have been numerous reports here on VAF of Andair fuel pump failures. I had one of the earlier models in my RV-10 and had no issues with it. I wouldn't put an Andair FP in my plane today. AFP is a very dependable unit.

I just did my fuel flow test, measured before the servo, and am seeing a ridiculous 70GPH, using the Vans pump and filter kit (Airflow Performance). Installation was pretty easy, at least compared to the older version of the Airflow Performance kit which was a rats nest of aluminum tubing. Not flying yet.

I had the worst luck with Andair - two pump failures (very premature…) during the early days of Covid. Took forever to resolve - shipping to England, etc…

The 2nd failure was pretty much out of the box.

I switched to AFM and shortened my supply line dramatically. It has performed well. If I have a pump failure, the replacement can be locally sourced and should be less than $100.

Andair pump

I also had issues with two Andair pumps and there’s no US support. Great pumps when they work, however turn around time and cost for repairs/ replacement to the UK is just ridiculous..

Walbro pumps

As others have said, it's E-AB, so you are welcome to use whatever you choose - no need to limit to just the two initial options.

The fuel pumps that came with my SDS setup (for IO-540) are Walbro GSL393 units and work wonderfully. While I highly recommend Walbro pumps, which are very reliable and available in many different sizes, I also have had good experience with Bosch pumps, which also come in many sizes (and possibly is what's pumping the fuel in your car). They are the brand UL Power supplies with their engines.

An option for you is to source pumps and installation parts from Wick's Aircraft; see their website under "UL Engines" and find the brackets, fittings and pumps for the UL engines to make a setup for your airplane.

I personally have other Andair components and have good success with them.

One nice thing about the AFP unit is, the pump itself is an Airtex E2315, available at auto parts stores for around $100.

I had two Andair failures as well ... including one 3h into phase 1. I switched to AFP and have been very happy since.

EFII +1 !!

I have the EFII pump. Originally bought the Andair and it failed out of the box. EFII is super QUIET and EZ to plumb and LOW profile. No huge box taking up leg room on the center floor. USA made and quick service from Mr Paisley.

Thanks, unfortunately Amazon won't ship it to CA:
"This item cannot be shipped to your selected delivery location. Please choose a different delivery location."

Try Rock Auto. Cheaper than amazon, but the same when shipping is added.

I also had issues with two Andair pumps and there’s no US support. Great pumps when they work, however turn around time and cost for repairs/ replacement to the UK is just ridiculous..

I'm in the UK and can say the same about sending stuff to the US for service!!!
Andair everytime...
Lighter, smaller, easier to mount, filter screws on to the inlet.

Although I have heard opposing stories from other builders in earlier years, I received excellent customer service recently on my Airflow Performance fuel pump. After years of storage, the internal preservative had gummed up and flushing with avgas did not free up the vanes. I shipped the pump back to Airflow Performance; they got the pump working for the cost of shipping. I will remain a loyal customer.

Back