-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 10-12-2021, 05:02 AM

Default Buying used avionics - be careful!

I have a great VAF friend that has promised me his EMS-D10 just as soon as he can begin his panel upgrade. Life, another huge RV project, covid and work has, as is usually the case, slowed that process down. Since I feel like my panel upgrade is putting unintended pressure on my friend, I decided to see if I could acquire one elsewhere. I placed a WTB ad on the "B" site and quickly got two replies, both of which quickly fell into silence once I mentioned that I would require, at my expense, that we utilize Stein as an escrow agent. Perhaps they were legitimate and just aren't familiar with this process (I hope this was the case) but it was fascinating to watch just how fast the "available" units fell off the table once the escrow process was suggested. Lastly, the one discussion that advanced to pricing and payment resulted in his requirement to utilize Venmo for payment which, as I understand, has zero fraud protection.

So, be careful buying used avionics and thanks to Stein for providing this valuable service. Lastly, if anyone has an EMS-D10 laying around or one that will be available soon, please PM me.
Old 10-12-2021, 07:20 AM

I had the same issue trying to buy a set of plans for a plane. Once I told the owner I wanted the plans serial number so I could call and verify they were legitimate plans in his name then he went radio silent.
Old 10-12-2021, 07:40 AM

Default Beware

I also had a ad on B for a Pmag, I got a response how do I want to proceed.
I asked for photos and a name and address.
Asked me for my email to send photos.
That was it.
Be careful out there.
Dave
Old 10-12-2021, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetime View Post
I also had a ad on B for a Pmag, I got a response how do I want to proceed.
I asked for photos and a name and address.
Asked me for my email to send photos.
That was it.
Be careful out there.
Dave
Boy, you really escaped a big one there!!!!!!!

Old 10-12-2021, 11:55 AM

OK… Could you please kind of explain the process of escrow on a purchase like this? How does one go about arranging it, who ships what to whom? Etc.…
AFS 5400/3500, G5, 430W, some other stuff
Old 10-12-2021, 12:55 PM

Stein makes it about as easy as it can be. You and the seller agree on a price. Stein, for his services, charges a very reasonable fee. You send Stein payment (agreed upon price to seller plus Stein's fee) and he holds it until the seller ships the avionics to Stein and he has received it. Once Stein checks it out and ensures it is indeed what you purchased, he ships the avionics to the buyer and sends the appropriate payment to the seller. By doing it this way, both parties are protected. As for arranging it, one call to Steinair and you'll have all of your questions answered in about 5 minutes or less.

Last edited by 74-07 : 10-12-2021 at 12:59 PM.
Old 10-12-2021, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacCool View Post
OK… Could you please kind of explain the process of escrow on a purchase like this? How does one go about arranging it, who ships what to whom? Etc.…
Read "The Most Important Paragraph on This Page."
Old 10-13-2021, 12:46 PM

Indeed this business is fraught with unknowns and characters of all type. That said, sometimes just the opposite is true.

As an example, yesterday both a seller and buyer called me to arrange a cross border sale and have us mediate it. I've known both the buyer and seller for a very long time and could vouch for each of them as extremely trustworthy folks, so in that case I told each of them not to waste their money on our escrow service because I could personally vouch for both of them...no need to get a third party involved other than a simple phone call - and we're happy to do that as well!
Old 10-13-2021, 02:05 PM

Exactly what I would expect from Stein. Every tine I've done business with Steinair, it's just been excellent service.

Now, Stein.......please help me find an EMS D-10!

Rob
Old 10-13-2021, 02:15 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteinAir View Post
I told each of them not to waste their money on our escrow service because I could personally vouch for both of them..
Turning down a chance to make a few $$$ speaks loads about Stein and his integrity.

Good on you.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."