Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 09-09-2021, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGlaeser View Post
Since he is a student pilot, he should have his logbook with his solo and XC endorsements with him. I agree don’t show it unless asked, but since the endorsements are no longer part of the medical certificate, carrying the logbook with the endorsements is required.
Negative.....Being a pilot has nothing to do with building and certificating an aircraft. The FAA representative should not ask you anything about flying the aircraft.
Only about the building process and experience. This is for a repairman certificate, not a pilot certificate. Again, being a pilot is NOT a prerequisite.
USAF Vet, High School E-LSA Project Mentor.
RV-6 Flying since 1993 (sold)
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
Old 09-09-2021, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
Negative.....Being a pilot has nothing to do with building and certificating an aircraft. The FAA representative should not ask you anything about flying the aircraft.
Only about the building process and experience. This is for a repairman certificate, not a pilot certificate. Again, being a pilot is NOT a prerequisite.
I agree, but he mentioned a ramp check... I thought that implied checking credentials related to a flight. If not, I stand corrected
uAvionixEcho ADSB in/out with GRT Safe Fly GPS
Old 09-09-2021, 03:59 PM

I would only caution a couple of things. First, this is not a second airworthiness inspection, so if it veers into that area, I'd start to question it. Second, know what it's okay for a ramp check to involve (https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/...ing-ramp-check), and what it doesn't (as noted, this isn't a second AW inspection, nor should they be boarding your aircraft).

You asked for one thing, a Repairman's Certificate, and now you've got something else going on. I'd get the Repairman's Cert done first, signed off and delivered, then move on to the "ramp check" and keep it formal, polite, but without volunteering anything he doesn't ask and ensuring he keeps the scope within what it's supposed to be. https://fsims.faa.gov/WDocs/8700.1%2...2/2_056_00.htm

BTW, if you aren't going or haven't been flying just prior to the "ramp check", I don't think it can actually legally be done:

Quote:
OBJECTIVE. The objective of this task is to determine that an airman or operator is in continuing compliance with the far during an actual operational situation.
Old 09-09-2021, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGlaeser View Post
I agree, but he mentioned a ramp check... I thought that implied checking credentials related to a flight. If not, I stand corrected
To perform a "ramp check", the FAA representative must observe the airplane in flight or being prepared to make a flight.
USAF Vet, High School E-LSA Project Mentor.
RV-6 Flying since 1993 (sold)
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
Old 09-09-2021, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
To perform a "ramp check", the FAA representative must observe the airplane in flight or being prepared to make a flight.
One would think so, yes...

But I had an overzealous young recruit try to ramp check me at the Alpine TX airport back in 2006 - while we were in the middle of a hot air balloon rally - AFTER flying the balloons and refueling them, and recovered back at the airport, in the middle of a large gathering of about 40 pilots cooking a late lunch on the airport grounds and drinking beer. The airplane had been parked for about 4 hours at that point and was a couple hundred yards away from where we were cooking.

When I pointed out to him that he can't ramp check me for an airplane that is most obviously not being prepared for flight, he said he would call the sheriff and have me arrested if I did not cooperate immediately. I laughed and said "Go ahead and call him! Better yet, let me introduce you to him, he's standing right over here!"

The sheriff amazingly refused to arrest me, and after setting HIS beer down beside his hamburger, walked the young recruit off a ways from the group and talked to him, and the youngster finally left. He hung out there at the airport for THREE MORE DAYS waiting to catch me preflighting the airplane before he gave up and left.

So, no - don't count on the enforcers to know the rules they are charged with enforcing.
Built an off-plan RV9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.

Last edited by airguy : 09-09-2021 at 05:32 PM.
Old 09-09-2021, 08:03 PM

That is one great story!
Old 09-09-2021, 08:35 PM

Smile Ramp check

I flew a L-19, Bird Dog into Wright Patterson for a fly-in. I was met after landing and a recruit ask me for my pilot certificate, airworthiness and registration. I ask him for his 110A, he said he didnít have one, I said as far as Iím concerned you are a terrorist get the ó-k away from my airplane. His boss was about 10 ft. Away with eyes as big as saucers. I told him when you get a 110A come back and see me and by the way this is what they look like. I was a FAA inspector at the time. 17 Bird Dogs for 4 days and 14 inspectors, we never went back.
RV6A owner N6711
L19 sold
ATP/FE/CFI 10 Type Ratings.
Old 09-14-2021, 02:02 PM

Default Repairman Certificate Day

To bring you all up to date, I had my meeting and "ramp check" today. The meeting was great and I received my temp Repairman's Certificate with the official one to come in 30-60 days. We had a very nice conversation about my build and the cool panel. I showed him quite a few pictures and a several things on the plane to show I built it and knew what we were talking about.

In Michigan he said most use the FAA to do the Certification Inspection and they usually give the Repairmans Certificate at the same time they sign off the plane. Since I had a DAR do my inspection, it was out of the normal for him but we were able to make it work.

I said since my plane is not ready for flight and I am not solo certified, can you do an unofficial ramp check? I said I wanted to know what to expect if I was ever checked. The inspector was very helpful making sure I had all the correct paperwork and when I had left my registration in my copy machine at work, he said - good thing this wasn't an official check.

Overall it was a good experience. I notified everyone at the airport he would be there and it was like a ghost town! Bottom line - I got my Repairman's Certificate so I will be able to do my condition inspection next month!
Flying N376E
Old 09-14-2021, 03:42 PM

Thank you for posting a debrief! Glad it was positive.
Old 09-14-2021, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdog View Post
I told him when you get a 110A come back and see me and by the way this is what they look like. I was a FAA inspector at the time.
haha!

Back when FSDO inspectors did checkrides, the very nice gent that did my CFI ride informed me on what to do for a ramp check. He told me two things:

1. They have to have a badge. He showed me his so I would know what to look for. Ask for it.

2. They can't delay or stop you from flying. You politely give them your name and phone number and inform them they can contact you to make an appointment for the ramp check.

Please don't PM me! Email only!

Bob Japundza CFI A&PIA
N9187P PA-24-260B Comanche, flying
N678X F1 Rocket, under const.
N244BJ RV-6 "victim of SNF tornado" 1200+ hrs, rebuilding
N8155F C150 flying
N7925P PA-24-250 Comanche, restoring
Not a thing I own is stock.