What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin GTX 45R

KRE

Want to update my software on my Garmin GTX 45R. The installation manual states “ requires Windows 2000, XP, Vista, or Windows 7 “ on the laptop.
Will Windows 10 work or do I need to find a laptop with this old software?

Want to update my software on my Garmin GTX 45R. The installation manual states “ requires Windows 2000, XP, Vista, or Windows 7 “ on the laptop.

Only Garmin dealers have access to what you need to update the transponder. I was told by several sources (including Garmin) you cannot do yourself even in an experimental.

If you make it to OSH Garmin updates for free at their tent if you take them your transponder.

I’m aware that only a Garmin dealer can do the upgrade. I was at a Garmin dealer and he couldn’t get the software to install. Wondering if he had newer software installed on his laptop.

I want to update as well. Just getting a Garmin dealer to do it is a challenge. Seems they're either too busy or just don't want to be bothered. Please share your progress.
Thanks,
David

The installation/configuration software for a GTX 45R runs fine on a Win10 laptop. Only way to go.

Steve

Could someone from Garmin explain why a software update is so complicated that only a certified Garmin dealer can do it?

Carl

I agree Carl. I wired all my systems and have updated every other piece of software. The transponder is dead simple to update but we aren't allowed to have the program to do it. I suppose it is a slippery slope problem of if we get it we will hand it over to our commercial friends but ????

Easy...

I walk over to the avionics shop, borrow their laptop with the Garmin toolchain and recent firmware image, then walk back to my hangar, plug my GTX 345 into the USB cable and run the tool.

Update takes about 1 minute.

I then return the laptop to the shop and buy them a beer at happy hour where we talk about difficult customers, how fantastically frugal (most) RV owners are...

Easy, Peasy.

I can beat that. I download whatever software update I need from the Dynon website onto a thumb drive, then update the SkyView (EFIS, COMM, XPDR, whatever) while having a beer!

Carl

I agree Carl. I wired all my systems and have updated every other piece of software. The transponder is dead simple to update but we aren't allowed to have the program to do it. I suppose it is a slippery slope problem of if we get it we will hand it over to our commercial friends but ????

Maybe Garmin doesn't want to deal with another thread on VAF: "How do I load the software on my GTX transponder" :D

Garmin could at least respond to my post as to whether or not Windows 10 would work?

Not Garmin but I can assure you win 10 works.

Steve/aka Longeze already mentioned it will work, Steve is "the" Garmin Guru.

Last edited:
Back