-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-08-2021, 07:29 AM

Move the switches, you will catch them with your feet and/or pants every time time you climb in. Suggest top of the panel or above the centre stack.
Pete
Old 01-08-2021, 08:25 AM

Default A few things

I understand your thoughts but keep in mind this isn't a 737. You are only a couple of feet from passenger screen. The other side is easily reached and seen.

I like symmetry. I'd go with another screen the same size. Lose the map box. Not needed as you'll have pockets in interior pieces. Think about using a 750 with remote mounted audio panel and transponder. Save's panel clutter and most stuff can be operated off the screens.

If you keep it as is, put the audio panel on top, transponder, comm 2 on the bottom.

I'm not a fan of audio jacks on the panel. Consider putting them on the roll bar support. I had them there on my 7 tipper and it was great. On my new 7, (slider) they are mounted between the seats on the cross brace.

Look at lots of panels. More importantly, get as many rides in RV's as you can to help you make a decision. Modify as you develop a sense of practicality.
RV-7 N717EE-Flying (Sold)
RV-7 N717AZ Flying, in paint
EMS Bell 407,
Eurocopter 350 A-Star Driver
Old 01-08-2021, 07:53 PM

Default Headphone jacks

Sorry I should have provided more details. This is a -14A. I am using the stock location for the jacks on the seat sides. What your are seeing on the panel is my depiction of two Pmag test switches.

All good comments - thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV7Guy View Post
I understand your thoughts but keep in mind this isn't a 737. You are only a couple of feet from passenger screen. The other side is easily reached and seen.

I like symmetry. I'd go with another screen the same size. Lose the map box. Not needed as you'll have pockets in interior pieces. Think about using a 750 with remote mounted audio panel and transponder. Save's panel clutter and most stuff can be operated off the screens.

If you keep it as is, put the audio panel on top, transponder, comm 2 on the bottom.

I'm not a fan of audio jacks on the panel. Consider putting them on the roll bar support. I had them there on my 7 tipper and it was great. On my new 7, (slider) they are mounted between the seats on the cross brace.

Look at lots of panels. More importantly, get as many rides in RV's as you can to help you make a decision. Modify as you develop a sense of practicality.
2020 =VAF= donor
Old 01-08-2021, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS19087 View Post
Sorry I should have provided more details. This is a -14A. I am using the stock location for the jacks on the seat sides. What your are seeing on the panel is my depiction of two Pmag test switches.

All good comments - thanks.
Which explains why I couldn’t find the copilot jacks!
Old 01-11-2021, 12:02 PM

Default Doing a Garmin upgrade

I have been flying with my Dynon panel, two 7" D-100/D-120EMS and the right screen is useless to me because it cannot be viewed at an angle. I am upgrading to a full Garmin panel this month and to help with the distance to the right screen I am going to have the two G3X 10" screens right next to each other with the GPS / AP / audio / SL-30 to the right of that with a G5 to the left. I [hopefully] have attached my proposed panel.
Any thoughts on the two panels being together like this? Thank you for the help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Garmin panel proposed.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	228.0 KB
ID:	6843  
dual PMags
Tucson, AZ
Old 01-11-2021, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danastoker View Post
I have been flying with my Dynon panel, two 7" D-100/D-120EMS and the right screen is useless to me because it cannot be viewed at an angle. I am upgrading to a full Garmin panel this month and to help with the distance to the right screen I am going to have the two G3X 10" screens right next to each other with the GPS / AP / audio / SL-30 to the right of that with a G5 to the left. I [hopefully] have attached my proposed panel.
Any thoughts on the two panels being together like this? Thank you for the help.
That’s a long reach to enter anything into the gps. Also, technically, doesn’t meet the TSO standard for IFR use.
Old 01-11-2021, 01:54 PM

I'm on the side of stacking the screens next to each other. Mine has the 10" and the 7" side by side and I find it comfortable to reach the GPS and autopilot controls. Start up switches on the left and flight switches in the center. I agree the two 10" screens side by side would make the radio stack very hard to work with. If I have a second pilot with me I can turn the 7" display into a PFD with the touch of one place on the screen. Ipad is on the yoke with a Ram mount.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	7C400451-0094-4FF2-A982-E093E7EF4758.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	315.2 KB
ID:	6849  

Anthony

RV6-A "Aluminum Mistress"
Too many hobbies- not enough time.
2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 donor and happy to do it.
Old 01-12-2021, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danastoker View Post
If you can't see the Dynon on the right side of the cockpit, what makes you think the GPS/AP/audio/SL-30 will be any more accessible/readable from there?

Go with one large 10" screen in front of you, the "stack" next to it, and whatever goes on the right is for your passenger / co-pilot. Give them a 10" screen if you like, but keep in mind it's not there (primarily) for you. It's a backup at best.
Old 01-12-2021, 09:21 AM

FWIW I have a 10" on the right as well, not so much for a co-pilot but I can leave a full screen chart or wx map up when I fly. It's not too far away to see and interact with easily.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200114_095040 (Large).jpg
Views:	69
Size:	321.4 KB
ID:	6886  

CFI-I ASMEL, ATP

RV-14A kit # 140243 (flying as of 11/18)

www.mykitlog.com/chrismoon/
Old 01-12-2021, 07:00 PM

Screen do not have to display full size because the useful information is in the center. In other words, a split screen on the right (far) side makes the inboard side plenty readable, even on the other side of a center stack.

My setup, left to right, is: engine instruments, flight instruments, MFD; center stack; MFD, flight instruments, engine instruments. This lets the plane be flown from either seat with engine instruments and flight instruments.

Putting the radio stack is something that you will regret, hate to say it. Five years experience with G3X Touch…
2020 dues slightly overpaid
Retired - "They used to pay me to be good, now I'm good for nothing."