What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Autopilot for an RV-9A

I'm trying to decide which Autopilot system I should put in a RV-9A. I've done some looking at the Dynon an TruTrak solutions. I have a D100 already in the airplane so the Dynon system seems like the logical choice. However that may not be the best choice. Considerations are cost, installation difficulty, operational features, operations in turbulence. Would use it in both IFR/VFR ops but mostly for VFR during high workload or long country flying. Will interface with either a Garmin 496 for VFR ops or a Garmin 375 or GPS 175 navigators for IFR. Can anyone help me with this decision? Thanks!

Look at the Trio Pro too. Only downside is it takes a 3 1/8” hole, if panel space is limited. Dynon will be cheaper, Trio gives redundancy.

Comparison

There's a few things to consider, taking into account the longer term:
  • Dynon D100 is a legacy product that is no longer available. When the time comes to replace it, will you want to stick with Dynon because of the servos?
  • There has been a fair bit of discussion on VAF in relation to Trutrak support since the BK acquisition.
  • Trio is comparable in price to a Garmin autopilot based on G5.
  • Garmin G5 with GMC307 panel would provide a good autopilot as well as EFIS redundancy. The primary EFIS assumed future upgrade could be to Garmin, Dynon, or something else, without being bound to Garmin due to the G5.

Last edited:
TruTrak

While there have been some hiccups in TruTrak (BendixKing) support in the last year, we have an ever growing network of support and service around the world. I am also certainly still around and able to help a lot of the time!

We have two different autopilot options that will both work very well in your aircraft. The xCruze 100 (TruTrak Vizion) and xCruze 110 (TruTrak Gemini) are both available and will give you great two-axis autopilot capability.

https://www.bendixking.com/en/products/ai/autopilots-and-indicators/xcruze

The xCruze is usually in stock at our distributor, Aircraft Spruce. You can purchase through any dealer as well, I know that Gulf Coast, Pacific Coast, and Mid Continent are also working on holding stock of these products for the RVs.

If you have any specific questions, please give me a shout at andrew.barker(a)honeywell.com.

Given that you've installed a D-100, the least cost method is to get the two servos ($1600) and call it done. In this case you would be controlling it straight from the D-100 menu system.

For an additional $650 you can make life easier with the HS34. That gives the source information and handy knob to change heading, course etc.

And to "have it all" throw another $450 for the AP74 for more convenient auto pilot mode, arming, etc. without touching the D-100 buttons.

I have all three and they work as designed. Should I someday go to Skyview the servos are the same, but the control modules become paper weights. Chances are I will never make that move. ymmv

I like the Trio autopilot because it's independent from my D100. my D100 however has been a very reliable unit. absolutely no issues.

I'm a Dynon guy and love it, but the TruTrak is a good unit too. I just hope that Andrew can keep BK from screwing the pooch with that product.

Thanks all for the helpful information on autopilots. Anything further to add on easy of installation? Time wise what are looking at for installation time of a TruTrak or Trio? Not sure that is a fair question!

Thanks all for the helpful information on autopilots. Anything further to add on easy of installation? Time wise what are looking at for installation time of a TruTrak or Trio? Not sure that is a fair question!

For any of them (Dynon, Trio, TruTrak) the installation time for the servos will all be the same. (But the servos themselves are different - Trio has a clutch, TT uses a shear pin, etc.). Installation time varies a lot depending on your skill, or if you’re like me and measure and think 12 times before drilling, etc. Trio and TT but not Dynon require a new hole in the panel, a few extra wires, circuit breaker, etc.

Back