What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which stainless rivets for firewall and where did you buy them?

RVFan671

Well Known Member
From research on the forums it seems like stainless rivets are the way to go on the firewall for protection. I'm wondering what part number you are using and where you got them.

I found (and ordered) a very small amount of MS20427F3 and F4 (with -X suffix for length) from Spencer's Aircraft but they had extremely limited sizing and I don't want to be cutting rivets. I couldn't find any on ACS.

1) Are my part numbers correct for the SS rivets suggested for the firewall?
2) Where are you buying yours?

The thing about researching something like this on the forums is that you get a lot of folks that have never finished an airplane who have lots of time to postulate on forums....

More than 10,000 RV’s are flying, and I would wager that the majority of them are using the aluminum rivets that Van’s specified on the plans. And I know of no bad incidents that have occurred because of it - never heard of a single one (and I have a pretty broad information gathering system in experimental aviation).

Build it how you’re comfortable with, of course - but be careful about which rabbit holes you go down - too many of them connect to a labyrinth from which you’ll never escape....

Be careful in your SS choice..

As Paul reflects, it my lead to other things you aren't prepared for. I work in the heavy jet industry and shot many a SS rivet, actually the Monel being the best choice, however, it can lead to disaster if you have a short edge margin, or need to drill one back out. I have yet to read a factual report about a burn through issue worth worrying about to that level...just stay per plans and move in is what I would suggest.

I personally know 2 engineers that have elected to change certain parts on their RV builds. After all, they ARE engineers. Both started their builds years ahead of me. NEITHER have finished their RVs. I’ve been flying for over 3 years. They like to look at their project and talk about how they’ve improved their build. Maybe some day they fly. Maybe not. Listen to Paul.

I have seen the results of a fuel fed engine compartment fire on an RV (not mine).

Do not be concerned with aluminum firewall rivets.
The heat of the fire will follow the normal airflow pattern to exit at the bottom of the cowl.

DO be concerned with the aluminum floorboards under the rudder pedals.
On the observed craft, there was a melted hole in that area.

It has been suggested to cover some of the bottom skin with stainless.
While I have not done it (the suggestion was post construction), I think it is a good thing to consider.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I considered using Monel rivets on the firewall, but decided to build with the standard aluminum rivets. My reasoning was that since I plan to fire insulate the firewall as discussed in other threads here anyway, that the aluminum rivets would be adequately protected in the event of a fire by the insulation and titanium sheet over the engine side of the firewall.

For what it's worth, I considered using Monel rivets on the firewall, but decided to build with the standard aluminum rivets. My reasoning was that since I plan to fire insulate the firewall as discussed in other threads here anyway, that the aluminum rivets would be adequately protected in the event of a fire by the insulation and titanium sheet over the engine side of the firewall.

By test, they are.

Ok, I've been convinced to move forward with my plan B, which was to use the aluminm rivets. I was planning on the forward side firewall protection and the under belly to keep 'normal'rv10 heat away from the tunnel (still need to figure out how to attach the stainless to the alum skin).

Fame Pattern

I have seen the results of a fuel fed engine compartment fire on an RV (not mine).

Do not be concerned with aluminum firewall rivets.
The heat of the fire will follow the normal airflow pattern to exit at the bottom of the cowl.

DO be concerned with the aluminum floorboards under the rudder pedals.
On the observed craft, there was a melted hole in that area.

It has been suggested to cover some of the bottom skin with stainless.
While I have not done it (the suggestion was post construction), I think it is a good thing to consider.

This reasoning is precisely why I chose to fabricate a SS cowl exit ramp for my RV-8, and it's backed up with fiberfrax ceramic insulation. The reasoning here is that a fuel fed FWF fire will result in flames and heat underneath the airframe. The stainless exit ram and insulation will hopefully provide some protection to the forward floor and my feet. I also elected to follow Dan H's advice and insulate the engine side of my firewall with fiberfrax covered with stainless foil.

Skylor

Back