-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 06-08-2020, 12:26 AM

Cowling work continues. I am still a little ways off of done but I can start to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I think by the end of this week I should have it finished.

First up, trim the slots for the cooling louvers. Van's came up with a pretty nifty way to do this using a unibit. Worked really well and went quicker than I thought it was going to.

20200606_101630 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Connect the circles and trim away.

20200606_110638 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Next I had to extend the top cowl about 1/32 - 1/16" using a flox mixture. I followed Dan H's thread on this, it worked really well. The hardest part is waiting for the epoxy to set.

20200606_192851 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

I then spent some time sanding the edges to get a nice fit all the way around. I have a pretty consistent paint gap now.

20200607_104822 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

I had to shape the cowl a little on the left side of the cowl around the spinner, the two sides definitely don't match each other. No one would probably notice but me. I sanded this out and put some micro in a few key areas to blend things better. Tomorrow after my flight I will get a few hours in my sanding logbook.

20200607_204549 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr
Exempt but gladly paying!
Old 06-18-2020, 11:17 AM

Well believe it or not I have still been working on the bird but when you spend most of your time sanding fiberglass there isn't much to show. Until now... haha

While waiting for epoxy to cure I did a few odds and ends. Like this hinge pin retainer, works great.

20200609_143110 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Finished wiring the plugs for my wingtips. It's a simple plug and play deal now, wingtips are done.

20200611_093440 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Figured out some decals for the three unlabeled pull cables. I tried to make some water transfer decals but it simply didn't work. My wifes Cricut cut some vinyl out no problem at all! I will just put some clear coat over them and they will be good to go. If they ever come off it is no big deal to replace, took about 5 minutes.

20200614_181649 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

20200614_181716 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

After many hours sanding I finally got the cowl ready for primer. She aint perfect but she is pretty dang good! I have just a few cosmetic things to fix before paint. That will be a ways out though... I'm quite happy with how things came out. Also, I decided to keep it standard with the oil door. I like the look of the flush ones people do but I didn't want to wait a week for the parts to show up. This works quite well.

20200615_164914 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Everything fits quite nicely and snug! The only hing pin that is a bear to get in is the top long one, it is hanging up on the very last eyelet, I still need to figure out why.

20200617_105211 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

I'm extremely happy to be done with the cowl. Now if Van's would just send me my baffle kit already. lol

On another note, I don't have it in writing yet but I'm pretty positive I have reached an agreement with someone for a hangar at the airport here in town. That is a big win! It's even the closest one to the runway too. As soon as the windscreen and baffles are done I think it will be time to make the big move!
Old 06-18-2020, 05:46 PM

Jereme...decent work I guess...hahahaha

So, it looks like you will be ready for flight soon and have time to help me wire my darn plane as it is clearly beyond me...

Great work and proud of you!

K
Private pilot, ASEL!
EAA 105 Chapter 7S3
Bi-annual financial contributor

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." Teddy Roosevelt
Old 06-19-2020, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentlik View Post
Jereme...decent work I guess...hahahaha

So, it looks like you will be ready for flight soon and have time to help me wire my darn plane as it is clearly beyond me...

Great work and proud of you!

K
I think it's time to start slamming it out man! haha give me a call today if you want, I'm free almost all day.
Old 06-19-2020, 09:32 AM

I had a heck of a time finding pictures of starter cables for the M1B setup so hopefully this helps some people out.

You have to make a little steel tab for this adel clamp due to the prop. gov. line.

20200618_154552 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Adels straight to the sump here. Washer in between of course.

20200618_154600 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Loop it up not down or it will interfere with the airbox assembly.

20200618_154608 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

I also fabricated the battery ground. Here is a pic of the crimp.

20200618_160840 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

I did all of that on the cheap. I found some 2awg welding cable in town and she had a 5 ft cutoff that she sold to me for 7 bucks!
Old 06-25-2020, 11:42 PM

Okay, finally have time to make an update! I have been going strong in the garage lately! Okay, I did take two days off because I was out of town but still...

I spent a day or so working on tidying things up and connecting things firewall forward. I also found a minor mistake but more on that in a minute. In this next pic I am pretty positive I am going to relocate that MAP sensor as it is currently slightly below the port. Probably wouldn't be an issue but I want the hose to always drain back into the intake.

20200620_173823 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

I also somehow managed to get too much heat into a solder sleeve when I did the mag wires and it took me a hot minute to figure it out! Needless to say the shield and core where connected and I had to crawl under the panel to fix the issue. This took the better part of the day, I also redid the other mag wiring too just to make sure. Now that the mag wiring tested properly I hooked em up. The kiddo was even excited (although mom wasn't that I stepped back to take this picture).

20200621_173418 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

The kiddo was really on a roll the last couple of days, here he is checking some bolt torque on the nose gear. I think he has heard stories of these RV nose gears... haha

20200620_173716 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Next up, baffles....

20200624_084810 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr
Old 06-26-2020, 12:18 AM

The first part of installing baffles goes quickly, buuuut that's where it stops.

20200624_113757 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

The first really time consuming part of baffling is fitting the front ramps to the lower cowl, not too difficult just a lot of off and on. These conical bends took me back to my HVAC days. I even got them right the first try; score! In fact, I think those days are really helping me out with these baffles! I have only spent two days on them and got them pretty much installed and started deburring things.

20200624_162510 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Back to the story now.

Here it is with the front baffles installed and everything is ready for the first trimming.

20200624_182434 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

This is after the second and final trimming. The hardest part of trimming is trying to figure out how to scribe a line. I sure as heck couldn't get these big guns in through the inlets. haha The directions get suuuper flaky about the front baffles so that was my best interpretation as to what needs to be trimmed.

20200625_104609 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

With all the trimming done it was time to install a few things. First the oil cooler. Van's has you mark 1/4" to align the 709 plate. I had a feeling that with the extra support angle I was about to install that would be too much. I'm so glad I pushed that number down to 3/16". This is the absolute minimum a person needs to have clearance on the nutplates the oil cooler attaches to.

20200625_115245 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Here you can really see what I mean. The bolt/rivet holes are all very close to the inside radius of that angle. Why does that angle look short you ask? Because it is. lol Two reasons, there is no real point going any lower than that screw head as that is really the structure you want. Second, this was the only piece of 1" angle I had anywhere to be found! Seriously though, every single thread I found shows the cracks starting towards the top. I have no doubt that missing them bottom two rivets won't be an issue.

20200625_133704 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Now the oil cooler could be mounted. I also drilled the Anti-Splat air shutter. This thing is quite nice!

20200625_145348 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Here is an inside view.

20200625_145451 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Here was the last job before dissassembly and deburing.

20200625_165751 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

I am just going to install the parts naked in Alclad, I don't know that priming is going to gain me a lot here, parts are easily changed if needed and to be honest I'm not worried about corrosion up in the cowl anyways.

Next up, deburring, final assembly and rubbers!
Old 06-26-2020, 08:41 AM

Looking good, just a note and it may be to late. Dont cut the forward lower ramp on the pilot side. You may want to bend the front down to provide rigidity and support for the air filter if you have enough material left.

Just an FYI: I didnt have enough room for the conical piece next to the air filter.

I'll try to find a pic.
Old 06-26-2020, 08:56 AM

For me to get the FAB in the correct location I needed to reshape it around the starter solenoid and one starter bolt on the opposite side of the starter.

Old 06-26-2020, 09:13 AM

Thanks for the great pics birddog! Ya I'm betting after seeing the pics that the conical piece will likely have to go. Maybe I'll tackle the fab before I get too carried away on anything else. Those pics will help a lot.