- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 06-02-2020, 02:19 AM

Default McCoy's RV-10 Build

Well, I finally started on the process as of a couple of days ago. Spent about 6 hours going through the inventory process. Built the phone holder and I also purchased the light box from Van's to get some obviously much-needed practice on sheet metal techniques. I'm going to try to document the process by video, but as Jason Ellis said, "That's a lot of work". Thanks to all of you that have already helped me with some confusion along the way. I'm sure there will be more.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCer...tNUgIvqZVYo8tg
Old 06-02-2020, 09:16 AM

Can't wait watch you build your RV.
Old 06-02-2020, 05:57 PM

So they HAD to pack it up like they did for the 20 minute trip? Seems like you could have avoided some of the packing for such a short trip. Hope you make it to the Homecoming fly-in this year (assuming they have it). We come up every year for the fun.

-Marc
Old 06-02-2020, 08:43 PM

Welcome to the madness, Matt!
Enjoy the build!
RV10 - #41687
http://adamsrv10.wordpress.com
N56AB Reserved
Old 06-03-2020, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plummit View Post
So they HAD to pack it up like they did for the 20 minute trip? Seems like you could have avoided some of the packing for such a short trip. Hope you make it to the Homecoming fly-in this year (assuming they have it). We come up every year for the fun.

-Marc
I live in Eugene and I also pick up my kits as I need. You can forgo the crating charge and just get the kit. However you are responsible for loading and any damage at the point of pick up. Pay the crate charge, return the crates for a bit of credit on the next kit. Works great for me. Of course I've made some extra trips for shall we say "owner misaligned parts".
Old 06-05-2020, 09:20 PM

Default Update #2

Slowly making some progress. I felt like things were going really well until I got to page 6-3 of the Vertical Stabilizer. Unfortunately, when I picked up my kit, part VS-1004 was on backorder, and they don't know when it will be in stock. So I had to move on to the rudder. Installed my first aluminum skins of the project, drilled everything, removed the skins, and promptly put a crease in it with the edge rolling tool. I thought it might be salvageable, but then I put an even bigger dent in it while trying to fix it. At least I have a large piece of scrap to practice on from now on.
I've tried about 10 times to share a pic from Google Photos, but the link never seems to work.
Old 06-13-2020, 03:56 PM

Default Finished the vertical stabilizer

Finished the vertical stabilizer last night. Should be done with the plane in no time!
https://flic.kr/p/2jbAx2R
Old 06-14-2020, 04:50 AM

Great progress! I was on the 4.5 year program with my slowbuild -10. You?ll have tons of fun along the way
Old 06-15-2020, 07:00 PM

Default First meeting with my Tech Counselor today

I met my EAA tech counselor, Jim Frisbee, today. That has to be the greatest benefit of EAA membership. It was extremely informative, and now I feel (mostly) comfortable enough to move on with the rudder assembly. I used the double sided tape on the trailing edge wedge and have it all clamped together. Planning to do the double blind rivets tomorrow. I practiced on the trailing edge of the practice kit, and the results with the pneumatic squeezer and the trailing edge set from Cleaveland tool seemed very good. If you wonder why there aren't clekos in every hole, it's because the holes drilled in the angle aluminum didn't line up well enough and I didn't want to force it and risk damage to the rudder skins.
Untitled by Matt McCoy, on Flickr
Old 06-17-2020, 12:57 AM

Default Riveting

Matt
Great to meet you!
Glad to help you get started!
One thing more on the trailing edge.... I would recommend against using
The pneumatic sqeezer, as the plans say to lightly set the rivets at first, then
Come back to finish them when they?re all in place.
That can really only be done by using the back rivet system.
The introductory chapters explains that.
Check it out

Good luck
Jim Frisbie