Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > My RV Build Project
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2020, 11:43 AM

So I wonder what the status is of this build? Success?
Old 06-15-2020, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioflyer View Post
So I wonder what the status is of this build? Success?
Not quite yet!

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I started a house addition.
In the past few weeks I've built a garage and am about halfway through framing the main part of the job, which is a 900sqft bedroom, bathroom, 2x closets and office. I don't really like contractors, and the framer I hired turned out to be absolutely useless (sacked him on day two) so I've done most of it myself, with occassional help of a friend, a neighbor and my wife (who helped me lift two 16ft 4x14 beams into place and also shingle half the roof). I've quite enjoyed it, even in the monster heat, and it seems to be coming out OK so far.

It's a shame, because the aircraft is pretty much done. I have been doing a few things here and there, such as replacing the micture cable and cable bracket, fitting a FlyLEDs tail strobe and finishing the cowl fiberglass fettling. The panel is wired and the switches are labelled. With the Covid, the work situation and the house build, I just haven't felt the desire to get on with it.

My friend Brett Zefting flew over for a preliminary Condition Inspection. I got a ride in a Glasair 2 and was pleased to discover that I had made the correct choice in buying a Van's product. We went through the list found a few minor things to sort - placards and suchlike - but it's otherwise ready for the air.

I still haven't resolved the trim adjuster bracket. That's something I haven't been looking forward to, and I've been putting it off. Also, wheel pants and leg fairings, but they can wait.

Anyway, here's a shot of the house. Not a flying RV-6, sorry...

2020 paid

Last edited by jamlip : 06-15-2020 at 01:09 PM.
Old 06-15-2020, 06:06 PM

House looks great! I'll help with the wheel pants/fairings when I'm back out in the fall...I'll show you some of the handy ideas.
Old 06-15-2020, 08:14 PM

Wow, that's a huge and heavy project, but it looking like it's coming along nicely. When you're done with that, airplane re-building should be a piece of cake!
Old 07-08-2020, 10:25 AM

Latest update on this treacle-paced project...

Made a manual trim bracket. I never liked the flimsy centre console setup in the RV-6, so I re-routed the cable and figured I'd mount it sideways, so the knob rolls forwards and back, like a mini version of the trim wheel in a spam can.

It has taken me the best part of a year to commit to this design. Here is the bracket, and here is how the cable is now mounted. The bracket is monted using two of the wing spar bolts.

I also chopped up my nice new Vans throttle and mixture cable bracket, which replaced the scary one that came with the aircraft. The problem I had was the mixture cable, which came through the firewall and then had to do a series of very tight, awkward bends to line up with the bracket. Not nice.

I used a piece of the old one CherryMax riveted to the new one. The heim joint is right at the very limit of its angle, but doesn't bind up. I wouldn't have built it like this, but it's the best I can do in this situation.

2020 paid
Old 07-09-2020, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamlip View Post
Latest update on this treacle-paced project...
Made a manual trim bracket. I never liked the flimsy centre console setup in the RV-6, so I re-routed the cable and figured I'd mount it sideways, so the knob rolls forwards and back, like a mini version of the trim wheel in a spam can.
Maybe I'm missing something here but shouldn't you have mounted the trim cable the other direction? The trim knob rotates clockwise for nose down and counter-clockwise for nose up. Your installation would seem backwards if you are trying to simulate a normal trim wheel.
USAF Vet, High School E-LSA Project Mentor.
RV-6 Flying since 1993 (sold)
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
Old 07-09-2020, 12:53 PM

Not only that, the new trim bracket will interfere with the seat cushion. The thigh bolsters sit on top of the spar and extend forward an inch or so. At least mine do, and even if yours are shorter the passenger will still have that bracket buried in her left thigh.

Unless you're rebuilding this airplane to be a single-seater; then nevermind.
Old 08-11-2020, 01:02 AM

In reply to the trim wheel direction, yes, it runs backwards. I've flown aircraft with trim switches that run in reverse (push down for nose up, etc) and never found it a problem, so hopefully the same will apply here. The slow, fairly labour-intensive adjustment of the control, along with the light stick forces of the RV elevator, leads me to feel it will be safe to try it out this way. If it doesn't work, or is just irritating, I can change it.

With regards to the bracket interfering with the passenger's leg, it sits way below the front of the seat cushion and it not an issue. I also don't have any friends.
2020 paid

Last edited by jamlip : 08-11-2020 at 01:19 AM.
Old 08-11-2020, 01:07 AM

Progress report, I guess.

I have one nut to tighten on a bulkhead grommet and the aircraft is ready to fly. I just keep putting it off, and I'm not sure why. Kind of lost my mojo.

I miss my RV-4 a lot. There's a lot to be said for having a functioning aircraft that you know inside-out and that is ready to fly at any moment's notice.

Not here to talk about the house addition build, but its framed and the roof is shingled. Awaiting signoff so I can plumb and wire and glaze.

Does anyone have any info about installing the Vans leg fairings and pressure recovery wheel pants? I fitted the brackets when I CLA'd the brakes and wheel bearings. Have all the parts, just looking for some direction so I don't screw it up.
2020 paid

Last edited by jamlip : 08-11-2020 at 01:17 AM.
Old 08-11-2020, 01:58 PM

Default Your RV-4...

I visited with your ex the other weekend at LHM. Was cruising the airport on a friend's skateboard and there it was! Looked good sitting there and the new owner is a very nice gentleman. Seems like it is in good hands!