-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 06-03-2020, 09:00 PM

I've always run the 4 headings with no wind correction and used ground speed seen on each heading after it stabilized. Add the 4 GS numbers together and divide by 4.

It is my understanding Vans does their speed numbers at 8000 density altitude.
My RV7 almost exactly matches Vans numbers.

PS it is faster when it is solo with half fuel...
Old 06-03-2020, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Birchler View Post
I've always run the 4 headings with no wind correction and used ground speed seen on each heading after it stabilized. Add the 4 GS numbers together and divide by 4. .
The NTPS spreadsheet (post 71) is believed to be a highly accurate method.
Old 06-04-2020, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
The NTPS spreadsheet (post 71) is believed to be a highly accurate method.
whenever I google how to do this accurately I keep getting back to the NTPS method so who am I do disagree...? It is very easy to use and does all the magic math on its own... I like it!

In this case both the "divide by 4" method and the NTPS method will give the same number. I suppose that is to be expected with a standard deviation of 0,1
I think the nice thing here is that it will tell you the standard deviation and thus tell you if that data sample you collected is good or bad. Also it is nice to know the wind.
Cessna Rocket 210HP - Best dang 172 Ever made! (sold)
Old 06-05-2020, 06:44 PM

Arrow #72

Seems like no progress but I continued to Countersink all the wholes. They are done now. I had some issues with knife edging and the cage wandering on me with the first 2 #8 screws. I then opted to fabricate a piece of scrap metal and hold it underneath so it would keep the pilot on the countersink from wondering off. First used aluminum like on this picture... then changed to steel. Worked great.

UPDATE: The Plans tell you to rivet the nutplate FIRST and actually use the NUTPLATE as a guide for the #30 pilot countersink.

Last edited by RV7ForMe : 06-08-2020 at 05:31 AM.
Old 06-06-2020, 06:22 PM

Arrow #73

Another night session... 4 hours of plate nuts. I think I am slow.
Process was to dab the countsinked wholes with primer via Q-Tip. Then wet rivet the plate nuts in place... I had about 30 min of looking for the #6 plate nuts for the inspection plates. I could only find a few but I had them at inventory... YUP It came to me that I used them for the Empennage Fairings. Luckily I had bought a couple extra from spruce. Just needed to find those little bags....

Pretty Straight Forward. Just one plate nut at the time... I actually managed to screw this up on 2 because I didn't look and actually riveted without the plate nut in the right position... it moved sideways on me go figure. Well. I still know how to drill rivets, thank god!

Both spars done!
Old 06-07-2020, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV7ForMe View Post
Seems like no progress but I continued to Countersink all the wholes. They are done now. I had some issues with knife edging and the cage wandering on me with the first 2 #8 screws. I then opted to fabricate a piece of scrap metal and hold it underneath so it would keep the pilot on the countersink from wondering off. First used aluminum like on this picture... then changed to steel. Worked great.

This seems to crop up pretty regularly.
If you follow the instructions and rivet the nutplates on first, the countersinking for the #8 screws is trivial.
I?m not picking on you it just seems like so many people try to cook up a solution to a problem that doesn?t exist. Some are quite elaborate and time consuming! They then post it and everyone thinks that?s how you do it and it becomes self fulfilling.
Sydney, AUS
Old 06-08-2020, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Connell View Post
This seems to crop up pretty regularly.
If you follow the instructions and rivet the nutplates on first, the countersinking for the #8 screws is trivial.
I’m not picking on you it just seems like so many people try to cook up a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist. Some are quite elaborate and time consuming! They then post it and everyone thinks that’s how you do it and it becomes self fulfilling.
Thank you, and yes you are right.
Maybe I should not be posting this as others may think this is the way to do it. It just is what I ended up doing. I will edit the text above to let future builders know what the VANS way is.

Last edited by RV7ForMe : 06-08-2020 at 05:32 AM.
Old 07-30-2020, 05:18 PM

Default Video

I made a little 2 min video yesterday... I am not on Youtube so this is just for us here on VAF...

Click here for the Video

Last edited by RV7ForMe : 07-31-2020 at 03:53 AM.
Old 11-16-2020, 04:03 PM

Default R.I.P Old friend

Life is too short. I have heard it before but every now and then it just hits you.

Earlier this month, I called up my buddy and asked him if he wanted to go fly that sweet RV7 of his. I helped rebuild it, and we have become friends in the process. We go flying sometimes and share that RV grin even in these strange Covid times.

It was a gloomy fall afternoon and the view was kind of hazy. I always get the right seat, but he lets me yank and bank her around as I please. Sometimes I even get to land. “What a sweet airplane”, I thought. On the way back to the airport we talked about our mutual friend and fellow RV Pilot who, at the time was in the hospital with medical issues. These are really terrible times to be stuck in a hospital when people can’t even come visit you. We decided to do a fly-over and did three steep turns right over the building. It was our way of saying hello and wishing him well.

Meanwhile, a few sun rays had made their way through the clouds. It looked quite beautiful.

Little did we know that our dear friend passed away this very day and us doing circles over the hospital would actually be goodbye for good. Call it coincidence or fate, I sure didn’t see this coming. I had no idea it was this serious. I want to say thank you for the time we shared. I will do it here because there will not be a funeral. There is a chance, we would not have met if he didn’t happen to have an RV. I was new at the airport and was walking through the hangers looking at everyone’s pride and joy. There he was, giving his yellow RV a bath. He also took me up for my first RV ride. The RV was grin permanently installed! I started building shortly thereafter. We started talking, became friends and the rest is history.

Like most of us here I love, live and breathe aviation. But this past week I was reminded that airplanes and specially RV’s are not just toys, flying carpets, time machines, or simply put some of the most kick *** airplanes out and about. They are so much more. They connect like-minded people, create amazing friendships, help us discuss issues, learn from mistakes and become better pilots even when we don’t always agree on everything. Prime wars, LOP vs. ROP and drilling carburetor jets come to mind. But it is all in good fun, no matter if you are dreaming, building, flying or just talking about it.

It also happens to be the only community of friends I have where age is no factor. He was over twice my age and it didn’t matter one bit.

Rest in peace old friend.

---

Follow your bliss and enjoy the freedom and beauty of flight.

Last edited by RV7ForMe : 11-17-2020 at 04:21 AM.
Old 11-17-2020, 02:18 PM

Default Moving post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Birchler View Post
I've always run the 4 headings with no wind correction and used ground speed seen on each heading after it stabilized. Add the 4 GS numbers together and divide by 4.

It is my understanding Vans does their speed numbers at 8000 density altitude.
My RV7 almost exactly matches Vans numbers.

PS it is faster when it is solo with half fuel...
Boyd,
I was moved by your story and photo.
Your photo is worthy of the Van's Calendar.
I urge you to submit it.

Without political input, I think we all need an uplifting story like yours.

Way to go.
Daddyman