-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 05-30-2020, 11:30 PM

Another good day today. I'm beat after today, a lot of up and down movement. However, it was awesome to be installing systems on the engine.

After installing the Avstar fuel servo I focused on the mixture control cable. This little Rube Goldberg contraption I think is just so cool! It works wonderfully too. It took awhile to adjust things to made sure I was hitting the stops. Just a tip for others, set the cable to the full rich stop first and the other one will take care of itself. But make sure to verify!

20200530_140159 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Next was the throttle cable. I have a bit of a dilemma on this one. The way Van's would have you do it it puts the cable at a pretty fair angle that seems a bit off. I increased the size of the bushing just to see how it would look. It looks better for sure but I'm torn on which one to go with. I don't like how far away the bolt is from the arm in option 2 though. I'm probably just over analyzing this.

Option 1 - Van's 3/8" bushing
20200530_153335 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Option 2 - Larger ~3/4" bushing
20200530_154430 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Putting the throttle cable through its paces. Gotta make sure the throttle arm is hitting the stops.

20200530_154545 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Another shot of the throttle cable. I had the firewall already drilled for the cable passthrough which is not the most ideal location with the new nosegear. It works fine though, just have to snake it around the engine mount a bit. (don't worry, the bends in the cable aren't as severe as they may look in the pic) Cable is as smooth as silk too. Bonus: I also extended the fire-sleeve a bit to serve as abrasion resistance.

20200530_184036 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

I'm debating on what to order for this fuel line. A stright fitting may result in the hose not getting out of way fast enough for the nose gear parts. A 45 fitting may rise too quickly and get in the way of the scat. A 45 rotated sideways a bit may be just the ticket.

20200530_212613 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Finally, I installed the fuel pump fittings so I could take some measurements to order hoses.

20200530_213629 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

As always, hope my build log is helping someone out there and let me know if anyone sees anything they don't like. Firewall forward will need the most eyes on it!
Exempt but gladly paying!
Old 05-31-2020, 05:17 AM

Default Me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentlik View Post
Just beautiful Jereme.
This build thread has been an inspiration to me and I am sure to many others.

Congratulations on the progress!
+1 !
Empennage and wings done-ish
Old 05-31-2020, 06:54 AM

Jereme, plan on moving the mixture control arm and readjusting that contraption. When you have the FAB installed the mixture control arm in ICO may just touch the back of the FAB.

I used a longer bushing on the throttle arm also.

Travis
Old 05-31-2020, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog486 View Post
Jereme, plan on moving the mixture control arm and readjusting that contraption. When you have the FAB installed the mixture control arm in ICO may just touch the back of the FAB.

I used a longer bushing on the throttle arm also.

Travis
Oh poop, thanks for the tip. I'll hold it up there and see if it's good to go or not.
Old 05-31-2020, 01:01 PM

Jereme---we found a 45* hose end at the firewall bulkhead fitting angled outboard on a 16 inch hose routed around the gear mount works well

Tom
Proud Vendor for RV1, Donator to VAF
RV7A Tail Kit Completed, Fuse started-Pay as I go Plan, on hold while we develop new products for RV builders
Ridgeland, SC
www.tsflightlines.com, www.asflightlines.com
Old 05-31-2020, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS Flightlines View Post
Jereme---we found a 45* hose end at the firewall bulkhead fitting angled outboard on a 16 inch hose routed around the gear mount works well

Tom
Perfect Tom, I will verify and get one ordered!
Old 05-31-2020, 11:53 PM

Another good day today. Got the forward top skin fully riveted! So cool to be done riveting the last skin. There were some tricky rivets indeed and a big shout out to my dad for running the bucking bar all day.

Here are a couple of pics of the action in progress.

20200531_142434 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

20200531_142448 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

All finished! I even had the time to seal the rest of the firewall with some Firebarrier 2000.

20200531_170023 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

My panel even feels more complete now. Just need to buy a few more devices to plug in and install the LED strip lighting and avionics will be done!

20200531_170112 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Next up cowling!

On another note, I am flying tomorrow to get back into the groove of things. It has been many years since I flew regularly so I'm looking forward to getting back to current!
Old 06-01-2020, 02:05 PM

Default Jealous

Yeah! I?m a wee bit envious at this point. Nice to see people making progress! Hope to see you/it in the air soon💪💪
Old 06-01-2020, 03:25 PM

Hi Jereme, I see your cowling is next so thought I'd give you a heads up before cutting. Vans gave me a 0-320 lower cowl for my RV7 instead of the 0-360. Good thing i didn't cut it, Got the 0-360 one now and sent the 0-320 back. They look pretty much the same but the scoop is lower than the 0-320 - Cheers -
Old 06-01-2020, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakshow108 View Post
Yeah! I?m a wee bit envious at this point. Nice to see people making progress! Hope to see you/it in the air soon💪💪
Haha thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRV7 View Post
Hi Jereme, I see your cowling is next so thought I'd give you a heads up before cutting. Vans gave me a 0-320 lower cowl for my RV7 instead of the 0-360. Good thing i didn't cut it, Got the 0-360 one now and sent the 0-320 back. They look pretty much the same but the scoop is lower than the 0-320 - Cheers -
Thanks for the tip Bob. I just checked and it is good to go.