Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2020, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsOnWheels View Post
Get one of the camping stoves that burn anything, use 100LL. A little lead won't kill ya.
MSR Whisperlite International stove...works awesome. I use it for preheating in the winter and just sump my RV tanks and dump it into the stove fuel tank.

https://www.msrgear.com/stoves/liqui...nal/06633.html

For coffee...Aeropress. I pack this on trips because hotel coffee sucks and Starbuck isn't always nearby.

https://aeropress.com
2022 Dues Paid
Old 04-26-2020, 07:33 PM

Default Cowboy coffee

Before you leave prepack pint ziplock bags with coffee, 1/4 c ground coffee, 1/4 c brown sugar.

Before you go to bed dump the coffee/sugar into your cooking pot containing 20oz of water and set it on your stove (lid on to keep bugs out) ready to light in the morning.

First thing in the morning, light the stove and bring your pot to a boil and remove the pot and let is set with the lid on for five minutes. Pour the coffee off into you cup and ground will stay on the bottom of the pot.

While you are waiting for the coffee to boil you can pack up.
Old 04-27-2020, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roofus4 View Post
Thanks a million for all the great suggestions and info. To the guys that created items lists, those are like my packing bibles now. I reference them while shopping on Amazon. I have to say, the gear that I’ve bought so far has not been cheap. Hopefully, however, this won’t be the only time I use them.

I went with the Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL3 (2020) tent. Big volume, but light. Only a little over 3lbs. Packs down to 6” x 19”. I decided to go with a 3 person tent, even though I’m solo, because I’m hoping in the future maybe I won’t be solo. I’m going with the one size up philosophy.

As far as a stove, I’m still debating. I don’t have any trouble eating cold food. Like bagels, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, etc. I even eat instant oatmeal cold, something I started doing back in high school. But then I started thinking about how nice it would be to have some hot chocolate in the evening after a long hike. Maybe some boil in bag rice or noodles. So I may get a stove of some sort. Not sure.

Right now, 1st stop is going to be 1L7, as has been suggested. Looks like a great place, close to capital reef, with a nice campground, and nice amenities. Certainly won’t be roughing it there. I’m still deciding on the follow up Destination. I have a friend that gave me some suggestions in WA. (21W & 6S9.) My only concern is the fact that the weather in WA can stay so crummy for so long, I may not get back out for a while. See, the way I look at it, I would only go in if the weather was nice. But, the weather may get bad while I’m there, and then I’m stuck for God knows how long. Anyone have any insights on the weather in Washington state in May?

I’m also keeping Johnson Creek (3U2), and a few other airports in Idaho, as an option. However, I was told by the Aeronautics Division up there, that the grass strips can still be messy in May, and to call back in a couple weeks.

Otherwise, are there any other good camping airports in the southwest that will have less weather concerns than the north? Of course with some hiking nearby.

Thanks everyone! You guys have helped more than you’ll know.
sounds like a fun time, still jealous. my buddy just spent the better part of a week in escelante and had nothing but good things to say, gas is a bit expensive but for what you get in services at the campground, it's worth it he thought. They have wifi, update us next month when you get there!

Last edited by philip_g : 04-27-2020 at 02:57 PM.
Old 04-27-2020, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
Before you leave prepack pint ziplock bags with coffee, 1/4 c ground coffee, 1/4 c brown sugar.

Before you go to bed dump the coffee/sugar into your cooking pot containing 20oz of water and set it on your stove (lid on to keep bugs out) ready to light in the morning.

First thing in the morning, light the stove and bring your pot to a boil and remove the pot and let is set with the lid on for five minutes. Pour the coffee off into you cup and ground will stay on the bottom of the pot.

While you are waiting for the coffee to boil you can pack up.
The sugar could cause a different kind of eating problem here in Alaska.

Might want to check what kind of local wildlife there is before setting any food items out overnight.

Great coffee though.

Mike
UTC -09:00 Alaska
Old 04-28-2020, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip_g View Post
sounds like a fun time, still jealous. my buddy just spent the better part of a week in escelante and had nothing but good things to say, gas is a bit expensive but for what you get in services at the campground, it's worth it he thought. They have wifi, update us next month when you get there!
Right on! Is there that much to do there? I'm hoping to do some good hikes, but a little worried about transportation to the trail heads. Wasn't sure If I could find enough things to do there to warrant numerous days, or if Escalante would just be a jumping off point into the backcountry places like Ibex, Cedar Mountain, etc.

Yes, the more I research, the more excited I'm getting. Thanks to all for the suggestions!
Old 04-28-2020, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Right on! Is there that much to do there? I'm hoping to do some good hikes, but a little worried about transportation to the trail heads. Wasn't sure If I could find enough things to do there to warrant numerous days, or if Escalante would just be a jumping off point into the backcountry places like Ibex, Cedar Mountain, etc.

Yes, the more I research, the more excited I'm getting. Thanks to all for the suggestions!
he did a bunch of hikes and hopped over to another airport I think for some day trips, I'll try and ask. The FBO has a courtesy car they used.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:43 PM

Default I'm back from my camping trip

I just want to thank everyone who helped me learn how to camp out of the RV. I had a wonderful 2 week long trip. All the equipment I bought as recommended by you guys worked out great. Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL3 tent someone suggested, was perfect!

I started in Escalante, Utah (1L7) as suggested by a gentleman on this site. From Houston I made one fuel stop in Double Eagle (KAEG), before Escalante. What a nice setup. Along with a nice campsite, they have a shower and covered pavilion with gas grill, and running water. Great 1st stop to get my camping feet wet. I had the whole camp to myself, and more importantly, the courtesy car all to myself! I spent 4 nights there and did a hike a day for 4 days. It was beautiful. Might I add that May is a great month for Utah. No bugs, yet comfortable during the day, nice and cool at night.

Then, wanting to get a little more hardcore, I flew out to IBEX Hardpan to spend a night on the dry lake. It was a very unique experience. It was fun to land on such a wide open space. It was nice and smooth, however, the chalky dust gets on EVERYTHING! My shoes, my pants, my tent, my tires, my wheel pants, etc, etc, etc...
Ok, Now here's the rest of the story. It was windy during the day, but I expected it to calm down as the sun went down. That turned out to not be the case. The wind never slowed, and I ended up setting my tent up in the howling wind before the sun went down. During the night, as I attempting to sleep, the wind got even worse. I learned later, there was a slow moving stationary front overhead. Very tight isobars! It was hard to sleep with all the noise, and the buffeting of the tent. At times it became very disconcerting. At 2:30am, I went outside to inspect how my tent was holding up. Right then, before my very eyes, my tent could not take it anymore, and the whole thing just imploded! I spent a very uncomfortable and frustrating rest of the night sleeping in the plane, which, BTW, was well secured using "The Claw." I was cold, tired, and ticked off. Not fun...

The next morning, still somewhat windy, I headed to my new friend Vlad's place at 33U. Vlad invited me to Spend a few nights at his place, and I took him up on that. What a gentleman! He housed me and fed me, and I did some more awesome hiking. He and I did some flying that saturday in our respective planes. It was the Coolest, most fun day of my entire trip! Vlad showed me some great spots in Utah. Hite (UT03), and Monument Valley (UT25) to be exact. Absolutely beautiful...

That next Monday I wanted to head to Johnson Creek, ID, but the weather was prohibitive. I settled on Ranger Creek (21W) in WA, but 2 hrs into the flight the weather took a dive on me. I tucked tail and turned back to Vlad's. I stayed with him for 2 more nights. Total of about a week. Vlad, you're awesome!

To wrap up my trip, I used the RAF website (theRAF.org) and found a little strip in Arizona called Grapevine (88AZ). Nice paved strip with a campsite and a port-a-potty. I spent two nights there. No hiking or courtesy car, so I took a risk and left my tent & equipment, and flew to Sedona (KSEZ) for the day. Just a 30 min flight. I rented a car from the FBO and did some awesome hiking. I see what all the fuss is about there. It is a gorgeous place, and also fun to fly into. Gas was reasonable as well. Flew back, spent the second night back at Grapevine, and the next day headed home to Houston.

It was the most fun I've had in the 4 years I've owned the RV, hands down. Don't know what else to say, it was just awesome. I learned a bit about mountain flying, and I had some great adventures with my RV. What a machine! Sometimes I still can't believe I own one. Gotta pinch myself every now and again.

So, Thanks to Vlad, and thanks to all you guys for the help. From the start, this trip was an experiment to see if I'd like it. I know now, it's just the beginning. Insert RV Grin here.

Here's a boatload of pics if anyone cares:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/gtJFYrT7GSfQsKJaA

Last edited by roofus4 : 05-31-2020 at 08:52 PM.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:29 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
I had a wonderful 2 week long trip.
Wow for a rookie plane camper you did it all. Experienced the bliss and bane of camping. Glad you are safe and had fun. Get back to Johnson Creek someday soon. It's worth it. Thanks for the travel log... good read.

2021 Dues Paid

Last edited by gmcjetpilot : 05-31-2020 at 09:31 PM.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcjetpilot View Post
Glad you are safe and had fun. Get back to Johnson Creek someday soon.
Thanks. Yeah, I was bummed about Johnson Creek. Actually, that was supposed to be the climax of the trip. Talked to a buddy from Montana, and he said May is not the best time for that part of the country. I’m definitely gonna try again, but maybe deeper into summer.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:23 AM

Awesome pics, looks like a blast!
RV-12iS #121228
  • My opinions are JUST my opinions, not facts
  • Regardless of phrasing or colorfulness, my opinion does not imply that any opposing opinions are wrong or ANY less valid than my own
  • Respect people by giving your own opinion without attacking or belittling others
  • Passive-aggressive is not better than overt-aggressive
  • When I fail to meet these standards, please call me out, gently