-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 04-13-2020, 04:28 PM

So the engine is more or less built, minus a couple of accessories. Slightly older picture:

I've decided to start fitting the baffles (at least to the engine, I know I can't trim the cowl side yet and they need to be off for cowl fitting) while access is easy, and started on some of the accessory work while I get the shop cleaned up. I'll probably go ahead and paint/assemble them (again while access is easy) and that way I can fit them quickly later. It's also just nice to be working with sheetmetal again for a bit.

One order of business is running the fuel lines to the SDS fuel block on top; I made a blockoff plate for the mechanical pump with a flange and stainless bulkhead fittings. I ran lines to the block last night and today as templates; once I have an opportunity to visit Spruce again I'll pick up some CRES line and make the flight hardware. But I had a bunch of aluminum tube left over and it's easy to bend, so it's a good trial.
Getting the oil cooler hose/fitting out from between the fuel lines and the oil filter will be tricky but I think it can be done--and that's more fittings to buy next time I'm at Spruce.
A good passthrough in the baffle and a clamp partway down to tie the lines together should hold us.

Last, I'm also trying to figure out how to mount my non-standard 90's Accord alternator. Did some mockups in CAD then 3D printed a test part to do a fit check. This thing is tricky because the lugs are lopsided and getting the thick lug on the airplane side means reaching a long way around with a support arm.

Once (if?) I'm happy with the fit of everything I'll make steel parts to match.

Next I could go ahead and hang the engine and work on some basic FWF and electrical installs. However, part of me is starting to think about getting the canopy done, mainly because I want the giant shipping crate it's hiding in (the 4x8x3 or so finishing kit crate) out of the way. Yes, it might complicate some access, but if I install everything with the forward skin on, I know I'll be able to get to it later. Decisions, decisions...
Old 04-14-2020, 11:04 AM

Are those Aluminum fuel lines?
RV6 #20477 completed 1991 sold.
RV7 #72018 N767T first flight 11/21/2017
(KOXC)Oxford, CT, (0NY0)North Creek, NY.
1941 J3 Cub skis, floats.
Building Javron Super Cub.
2020 dues gladly paid.
Old 04-14-2020, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpm757 View Post
Are those Aluminum fuel lines?
They are, but as I stated in my post, they are just trial fit lines. I have a whole bunch of aluminum tube just sitting around so if I mess up during trial fit I can just bend new ones. The flightworthy ones will be made from CRES and I'll use the aluminum ones as templates. I don't trust myself to get it right the first time with CRES which is harder to work with and much more expensive.

It's like the 3D printed alternator bracket in the last pic--it's not he flight unit, just a trial part until I know I have the right one.

Last edited by rmartingt : 04-14-2020 at 11:10 AM.
Old 04-14-2020, 11:58 AM

Nice work!
RV6 #20477 completed 1991 sold.
RV7 #72018 N767T first flight 11/21/2017
(KOXC)Oxford, CT, (0NY0)North Creek, NY.
1941 J3 Cub skis, floats.
Building Javron Super Cub.
2020 dues gladly paid.
Old 04-15-2020, 08:32 AM

that's on sexy engine, don't tell my wife i said that
Old 05-23-2020, 03:47 PM

Got the engine hung and found out I really did need to make new lines; the first ones went right through the engine mount (facepalm). So, I bent new (stainless) lines and made some supporting brackets. No pics at the moment, sorry.

Next up has been firewall Tetris. The following is a rough diagram that's close but not exactly to scale. Nothing is set in stone yet except the brake lines and the fuel/return lines. Comments welcome.

I'm not tickled about the brake reservoir and am considering moving it elsewhere. Also realized I forgot the second alternator feed to M2. The one I'm working on now is trying to squeeze in that fuel pressure regulator and FP sensor.
Old 05-23-2020, 04:02 PM

Is that four wire penetrations I see? Depending on how big they are that would be overkill. I only have two and they aren't very used up after running all the wires through them. My brake reservoir is in the same spot and it seems to be okay. How come your not diggin it?
Exempt but gladly paying!
Old 05-23-2020, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarne View Post
Is that four wire penetrations I see? Depending on how big they are that would be overkill. I only have two and they aren't very used up after running all the wires through them. My brake reservoir is in the same spot and it seems to be okay. How come your not diggin it?
Yeah, but they're just placeholdes right now. Exact number and placement is TBD. I'll have more wires with an EFI system, though.

On the reservoir, I'm wary of it being right over my batteries and relays. I'd also prefer a steel penetration rather than the aluminum component right there.
Old 05-23-2020, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartingt View Post
Yeah, but they're just placeholdes right now. Exact number and placement is TBD. I'll have more wires with an EFI system, though.

On the reservoir, I'm wary of it being right over my batteries and relays. I'd also prefer a steel penetration rather than the aluminum component right there.
Makes sense. I think I have seen builds where the reservoir goes on the left side of the aircraft but can't seem to remember who. Mike Bullock's name stands out, you might want to search his website.
Exempt but gladly paying!
Old 05-23-2020, 05:18 PM

Brake plumbing normally goes from Reservoir -> Passenger pedals -> Pilot pedals -> to brakes, so makes sense to mount it on right side to minimise tubing lengths.

Return line swivel fitting - hope the line is well stabilized between that & engine as there is only an o-ring inside that fitting & wouldn't do well if line vibration is present.

Wiring bundle for SDS systems is about same diameter as EGT/CHT wiring bundle, plus the odd wire for engine sensors. Battery cable penetrations will probably be as big or a bit bigger. Caution on having a penetration above the battery tray, might be tough to get battery in & out.

Last edited by Ralph Inkster : 05-23-2020 at 05:26 PM.