Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2020, 06:43 AM

Spent this weekend doing the condition inspection (first since airworthiness inspection). Only a few issues.

1) Didn't realize the brake linings would wear quite this fast. I figured they would be due soon and ordered a set, but they haven't arrived yet. Going forward, I will plan to replace these at annual by default. They aren't at minimums yet, but no point in reassembling with old linings.

2) Right main wheel pant bracket is contacting the brake disk. I'll make some tweaks for clearance and add a doubler for now in the damaged area. Will replace the bracket at a later date.

3) Left main tire is wearing on the outside (R Main is fine...). I flipped the tire to even out the wear.

I hadn't flown for a couple weeks and the weather was bad, so I didn't get to warm the engine before the compression test. Numbers were still surprisingly good cold and dry. I did have 1 cyl lower than the rest. I want to recheck them after a flight.
RV-6A #20603
Complete 5/10/19
PP SEL / A&P
I donate every year on my B-Day (in Dec), but donated early in Sep'19.
Old 05-18-2020, 10:48 AM

Default Visited Blackbeard's island hideaway-Ocracoke Island

An amazing day on Saturday in the East brought many planes out and about. The Mrs. & I headed out in our RV-8 to Ocracoke Island, in the Outer Banks of North Carolina for another fly-out picnic. Saturday was the island's first official "open" day, and folks were streaming out to the beach by ferry and plane. The airport, W95, located in the National Park, is in great shape, with room for a couple dozen on the ramp with tie-down ropes. It was filled to over capacity this day, with several planes pushed onto the grass. Most businesses were still closed and re-building from last year's flooding hurricane. The golf cart rentals ARE open, and some eating establishments have take-out during limited hours. At least one hotel was open, but since we didn't spend the night I did not ask about their services. CALL AHEAD for everything, as this info changes by the minute. DO NOT RELY ON WEBSITE INFO! The little Ops building is back in operation with WIFI. No phone that I could see. My Verizon iPhone worked well. Two Port-a-Jons at the airport gate. No running water.
We got picked up by one of the friendly owners of Wheelie Fun golf carts..spent a little time touring the town of Ocracoke, but very little was open...they are all working hard to get things in shape, though. If you're not carrying a lot, you could get away without the cart...town is only a 15 minute walk from the field. We ended up having our picnic at Springer's Point on the beach in the speckled shade of knocked down and dead cyprus trees. After lunch, we returned the cart and got driven back to the airport, (no carts are allowed to be driven outside the town limits) where we swapped our lunchbox for beach towels, and joined the "crowd" that was streaming to the surf, only a few hundred yards from the ramp. It's a 'drive-on' beach, so there were several trucks, fishermen and families enjoying the water.
I would suggest a close study of the sectional, so you do not bump into one of the MANY Restricted Areas used by Cherry Point Marine Corps Air Station...Osprey training!!! Use Cherry Point Approach Control if able.

Too many pictures to struggle to upload,
but here's a link to a Google album.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...IzRTNYWFBpaEd3

Looking forward to an overnight visit sometime.
AeroSport Power IO-360 180hp w/dual P-Mags
Catto 3-blade, with black carbon spinner.
10" Dynon SkyviewTouch. That's ALL.

Last edited by AAflyer : 05-18-2020 at 11:07 AM.
Old 05-18-2020, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethand View Post
After my last work call on Friday my wife and I drove up to Corona, Ca (of all places) to pick up my RV-10 painted by Corona Air Paint. I was very nervous to see the final product.

Arrived around 2 and started the rebuild process. Spent about 6 hours on Friday evening and another 6 or so hours on Saturday morning. Just before 1 pm I was out of parts to put back on the plane and headed towards KSEE. Made a stop in Ramona to show some friends (including Bruce and meeting SPX (see his pictures above) before the quick hop to KSEE. Put the plane away in the hanger and declared it "Done". At least until I have to open it back up for the annual in the next weeks.

Corona Air paint was easy to work with. I am happy with the job they did on a relatively complex design. I would definitely recommend them to others. Good prices and good work. Also like to thank Jonathan and his team at Plane Schemers for the design work.

Last edited by Plummit : 05-18-2020 at 11:27 PM.
Old 05-18-2020, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAflyer View Post

An amazing day on Saturday in the East brought many planes out and about. The Mrs. & I headed out in our RV-8 to Ocracoke Island, in the Outer Banks of North Carolina for another fly-out picnic. Saturday was the island's first official "open" day, and folks were streaming out to the beach by ferry and plane. The airport, W95, located in the National Park, is in great shape, with room for a couple dozen on the ramp with tie-down ropes. It was filled to over capacity this day, with several planes pushed onto the grass. Most businesses were still closed and re-building from last year's flooding hurricane. The golf cart rentals ARE open, and some eating establishments have take-out during limited hours. At least one hotel was open, but since we didn't spend the night I did not ask about their services. CALL AHEAD for everything, as this info changes by the minute. DO NOT RELY ON WEBSITE INFO! The little Ops building is back in operation with WIFI. No phone that I could see. My Verizon iPhone worked well. Two Port-a-Jons at the airport gate. No running water.
We got picked up by one of the friendly owners of Wheelie Fun golf carts..spent a little time touring the town of Ocracoke, but very little was open...they are all working hard to get things in shape, though. If you're not carrying a lot, you could get away without the cart...town is only a 15 minute walk from the field. We ended up having our picnic at Springer's Point on the beach in the speckled shade of knocked down and dead cyprus trees. After lunch, we returned the cart and got driven back to the airport, (no carts are allowed to be driven outside the town limits) where we swapped our lunchbox for beach towels, and joined the "crowd" that was streaming to the surf, only a few hundred yards from the ramp. It's a 'drive-on' beach, so there were several trucks, fishermen and families enjoying the water.
I would suggest a close study of the sectional, so you do not bump into one of the MANY Restricted Areas used by Cherry Point Marine Corps Air Station...Osprey training!!! Use Cherry Point Approach Control if able.

Too many pictures to struggle to upload,
but here's a link to a Google album.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...IzRTNYWFBpaEd3

Looking forward to an overnight visit sometime.
Bruceman thanks! I am kind of missing those trips to the beach. I need to find something here in Land Elevated

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 05-19-2020, 07:00 AM

I love that part of the Country. My fave spot there is Southport. There's another airport available across Dutchman's Creek from Southport - KSUT.

Another pirate connection is Bonnet's creek.
Old 05-19-2020, 07:16 AM

Rob visited from Texas and we flew in my backyard a bit. Hiked the mountains then headed to Monument Valley for lunch

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 05-19-2020, 10:26 AM

Hi Vlad,...Looks like you have plenty of sand near you! No beach required. Hoping to see Monument Valley some day soon.
AeroSport Power IO-360 180hp w/dual P-Mags
Catto 3-blade, with black carbon spinner.
10" Dynon SkyviewTouch. That's ALL.
Old 05-19-2020, 02:33 PM

Default Challenge Accepted?

OK Vlad has laid down the challenge. Gas is cheap, not to many airliners flying around, long weekend coming up.
Where can you go this weekend?
Please be safe!

I am living through y'all, so make it good!

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Dues paid 2021, worth every penny

RV9A- Status:
95% done, 10% left to go
Electrical/Panel done
Firewall Forward 75%done
Fiberglass 0%, thought i was building in metal?
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com
Old 05-19-2020, 02:40 PM

This weekend, did a whole series of data points to document how the autopilot LVL function recovers from spirals (unusual attitudes, if you will) at a series of pitch and roll angles. Analyzed all the data, then had a friend repeat in an LSA with different avionics. Both autopilots recovered with simultaneous pitch and roll activations, contrary to what the book says. This morning, I flew some recoveries from very steep spirals, comparing book and simultaneous pitch/roll recoveries. (Never exceeded 120 knots or 2.5 G. I worked up to it carefully.) The book recovery came in a distant second. These data suggest that the book needs to be looked at very carefully -- the book recommendations may be required for some airplanes and some pilots, and there may be teaching implications, but...

While I was waiting for some low clouds to burn off before the flight, I made sure that the belly of the plane was free from COVID19.
Vaccines kept me out of the hospital but COVID still cost me a month of living, all told...
Old 05-20-2020, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-mike View Post
https://youtu.be/2eQRiMQe8SQ

yeah, yeah, I know I got sucked on the takeoff. I was heavy.
Careful with that Javier guy - he has previous form!!!