Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2020, 09:09 AM
unfluencer

Default What did you do with your RV this Weekend (5/16/2020 - 5/17/2020)

...getting it started. It rained all day on Saturday here in N. TX.

Sunday a pickup formation practice on short notice. All is better :^)

v/r,dr
  • Part time: Supporting Crew Member CAE EMB-505 Level D Sim @ KDFW.

Last edited by DeltaRomeo : 05-17-2020 at 02:41 PM.
Old 05-17-2020, 09:38 AM

Out with the old...

In with the new...

Last edited by SPX : 05-17-2020 at 09:41 AM.
Old 05-17-2020, 10:17 AM

https://youtu.be/2eQRiMQe8SQ

yeah, yeah, I know I got sucked on the takeoff. I was heavy.
N164WM
N184WM reserved (RV-8)....finishing kit in progress. Titan IOX-370
N184P reserved (RV-8QB)
Old 05-17-2020, 10:58 AM

Default Title Removed

The Snowbirds Aerobatic team is doing cross Canada flyovers in what they call Operation Inspiration. Yesterday morning the flew over my home base - Red Deer - and I got to fly with them, unofficially. Since this wasn't an airshow, there were no airspace restrictions. I flew 1500' above their planned altitude and didn't get much closer than 3 miles. It was a thrill of a lifetime and there was just something cool about being able to see them from above. Red Deer FSS was great in supporting this, providing traffic call outs in both directions. I know that neither the FSS nor the Snowbirds had any issues with my being there and I did everything to make sure I wasn't in the way of the flying or the photographers on the ground. Sadly, wasn't the best way to record the encounter. I watched them fly almost directly over my house and would have had a great view from 1000' away if I'd stayed home, but what fun is that?

No flying today, but it is the 6th anniversary of my first flight lesson. Yesterday's flight made it all worthwhile, for the umpteenth time. What an adventure.

EDIT: After posting this, word came out of a crash with the Snowbirds that sadly resulted in loss of a life. This has dampened my excitement for this experience yesterday and I've removed the "Snowbird Ten" title from this post as the crashed airplane was likely either Ten or Eleven. RIP Capt. Jennifer Casey.
RV-9A #91081, C-GCPT
Dynon SkyView HDX, IO-320 and WW 200RV C/S. Flying as of August 6, 2018

Added GPS 175 and authorized for IFR April 1, 2021

Interactive map of all of my flights here

Last edited by Flying Canuck : 05-18-2020 at 12:25 AM. Reason: sensitivity
Old 05-17-2020, 11:46 AM

Default Painted

After my last work call on Friday my wife and I drove up to Corona, Ca (of all places) to pick up my RV-10 painted by Corona Air Paint. I was very nervous to see the final product.

Arrived around 2 and started the rebuild process. Spent about 6 hours on Friday evening and another 6 or so hours on Saturday morning. Just before 1 pm I was out of parts to put back on the plane and headed towards KSEE. Made a stop in Ramona to show some friends (including Bruce and meeting SPX (see his pictures above) before the quick hop to KSEE. Put the plane away in the hanger and declared it "Done". At least until I have to open it back up for the annual in the next weeks.

Corona Air paint was easy to work with. I am happy with the job they did on a relatively complex design. I would definitely recommend them to others. Good prices and good work. Also like to thank Jonathan and his team at Plane Schemers for the design work.

Phase 1 completed Nov 2019
210 hours and counting.....
Old 05-17-2020, 12:31 PM

Default Looks very nice

Looks very nice. I will have to keep them in mind.

On another note 2192 days of building? Here I thought I was close to being done; I have a long way to go!

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Dues paid 2021, worth every penny

RV9A- Status:
95% done, 10% left to go
Electrical/Panel done
Firewall Forward 75%done
Fiberglass 0%, thought i was building in metal?
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com
Old 05-17-2020, 12:41 PM

Hi Friends. This was last weekend (5/10... Guess I'm a slacker). The weather was teriffic all across the southeast. I have a navy buddy I haven't seen since our time onboard the USS Sierra AD 18, a destroyer tender, 40 years ago. He had a big surgery couple weeks ago and was feeling up for a visit. Flew the RV from the Bama gulf coast to north Georgia where he and his wife met me at the airport. Spent 5 hours catching up. Then back to the coast with 2 hours of daylight to spare. It was GREAT to see him. High school reunions or stuff like this is like stepping into a time machine.... so many "Remember that time......!"
Here's a picture his wife took. I'm the short guy.

IMG_3080 by Paul Gray, on Flickr
RV 7A, Lycoming 0 320 D1A, Sensenich FP propeller
pilotforfun2001@yahoo.com
VAF supporter $$$
Old 05-17-2020, 09:05 PM

Since my RV buds weren't flying anywhere special I hooked up with some Beechtalk friends for a flight to Harris Ranch. A bunch of Bo's showed up along with a couple of Cirrus (one brand new with only 50 hours), a Mooney 252 and a couple of spam cans. N814RV was the only Van's. A good time was had by all, and I'll try to get some pics posted.

-Marc

Last edited by Plummit : 05-17-2020 at 11:50 PM.
Old 05-17-2020, 09:56 PM

Spent the whole weekend turning wrenches - had morning sickness on #4, so I pulled the valve cover and rocker arm and moved the valve into the cylinder with a grabber on it through the exhaust port, reamed the guide, and then promptly managed to drop the valve into the cylinder. I tried to retrieve it with a couple tools including a telescoping magnet through the valve guide, and the magnet come off my telescoping tool and stayed on the valve stem. I began with the creative vocabulary at this point.

No hope for it now, but to pull the cylinder - and I didn't have the correct cylinder base nut wrenches - time to get on the phone. Finally found a guy (thanks John Letkeman!) in Seminole about 2 hours drive away with the wrenches that he would loan me, so I hit the road. Got back about 2pm and sweated in the hangar turning wrenches, and by 7pm I had it idling smoothly again, but still about an hour away from a test flight, still need to put it all back together again.
Built an off-plan RV9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Old 05-17-2020, 11:41 PM

Default Yosemite

Flew a nice trip from Sacramento area to Yosemite National Park. Half Dome and El Capitan looked splendid from the air. Landed at Pine Mountain Lake (E45) and Mariposa (MPI) for practice. Both were a little tricky as they were buried in the hills and had some gusty winds.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dctjTTdjpBKVyt8Q9