Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-7/7A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2018, 06:02 PM

I've got the manual aileron trim, so for access I think I'll make a box that sits on the horizontal part of the seat pan, just aft of the fuel selector. I just want a convenient place to put my iPhone, because I'm always grabbing it to take a photo, so it'll be sized for that.
Donation made for 2021
You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky -- Amelia Earhart
Old 03-25-2020, 10:54 AM

Default Nice

I just came across this. Looks great and i am sure a bunch on here would enjoy a little project while we are all locked up.

Anyone happen to have the dimensions already drawn up?

Would save us all some trouble and it could be a bit of an open source project where we find some great suggestions to even improve.
Add a drink holder, or ...

Just an idea as i really like this and while i have aileron trim under this, i never use it and always have loose pencils or junk stuck down there. There could be a false bottom, plate to cover the trim so its out of the way. I have seen other consoles but this just looks much cleaner and professional. Great idea.

Flew to Osh 11,12,15,17,19. SNF 2013. West to Cali /Washington/Vancouver/crossed the Rockies north to Red Deer east to Moosonee and over to maritimes. South to Jekyll Isl, cedar key, and Key West etc. 7 trips and 17 islands of the Bahamas. Flown turtles and dogs for Pilots n Paws too. Love our Rv's

Last edited by RickWoodall : 04-19-2020 at 10:46 AM.
Old 04-19-2020, 10:44 AM

Default 3d printer?

Now if someone had a nice template/dimensions drawn up and a 3d printer, would this not be a great little project to make out of plastic, thin and strong?

Better yet, make some and sell on vaf. I would buy!

Flew to Osh 11,12,15,17,19. SNF 2013. West to Cali /Washington/Vancouver/crossed the Rockies north to Red Deer east to Moosonee and over to maritimes. South to Jekyll Isl, cedar key, and Key West etc. 7 trips and 17 islands of the Bahamas. Flown turtles and dogs for Pilots n Paws too. Love our Rv's
Old 04-20-2020, 08:35 PM

Thanks to CV-19, I haven't worked since the 24th of March. I could get use to this! Trying to use my time wisely so I recently completed the 8th annual condition inspection on the RV. It was due this month anyway. Once I finished, I thought I would pick up on the original posters nice looking center console. I did change mine up a bit. I have an arm rest in the forward area between the seats which I love. Little spot below for pencils and paper. I wanted to use the more aft space between the seats and the space moving up. I have the manual aileron trim just aft of the armrest so can't cover/interfere with that area. I still have to put some kind of stain/varnish/paint covering. It's secured through the bottom with a single screw through to a nutplate on the bottom side of the tunnel cover. I also have to come up with a simple latch at the top. Test flew with in tonight. Can't even tell it's there. Here's the finished project. I like it. (I meant to weigh it before I left the airport. I'll be surprised if it weighs over a pound).

IMG_2789 by Paul Gray, on Flickr

IMG_2790 by Paul Gray, on Flickr

IMG_2792 by Paul Gray, on Flickr

IMG_2799 by Paul Gray, on Flickr

Edited:
Here it is after finishing. The spot in second pic lower front is what happens when you don't get all the glue wiped off before it dries. I also didn't put a latch at the top because it stays in place fine. It is functional and cleaned up the cockpit.

IMG_2837 by Paul Gray, on Flickr

IMG_2842 by Paul Gray, on Flickr

IMG_2843 by Paul Gray, on Flickr
RV 7A, Lycoming 0 320 D1A, Sensenich FP propeller
pilotforfun2001@yahoo.com
VAF supporter $$$

Last edited by Paul 5r4 : 04-23-2020 at 09:55 PM.
Old 04-21-2020, 08:24 AM

The Falco Kit plane and many planes have been made all from wood! Wood is God's composite material. Nice. I might consider doing a center storage divider thing.

2021 Dues Paid
Old 04-22-2020, 08:37 AM

Paul Grey - Cool! Another must do project for me

RV-7 "Dream Weaver" N50KB
Empennage arrived 10/14
QB Wings & Fuselage arrived 06/15
Finish & FF kits arrived 11/15
Dual screen Garmin G3X instruments and harness delivered by Stein 01/16
First flight June 13th 2018

2021 Dues Paid
Builders Log
Family Blog
Old 04-26-2020, 02:45 PM

Default Here's mine

Just finished my center console. 1/4 birch plywood from aviation aisle at Home Depot. Includes arm for iPad mount and custom cutouts for
  • Handheld radio
  • Flashlight
  • Notepad and pen
  • Fuel dipstick
  • Fuel test cup
  • Screwdriver (fuel cap opener)
Also has a large (3-1/4" W x 8" L x 5" D) opening for whatever else I might need.

Here's a couple of pictures. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Downside of using plywood is a few cosmetic chips, but most of those won't be visible once this is installed.

RV-9A #91081, C-GCPT
Dynon SkyView HDX, IO-320 and WW 200RV C/S. Flying as of August 6, 2018

Added GPS 175 and authorized for IFR April 1, 2021

Interactive map of all of my flights here

Last edited by Flying Canuck : 02-27-2021 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Changed photo links
Old 04-26-2020, 07:41 PM

Great idea to mount the iPad there. Nice!
RV 7A, Lycoming 0 320 D1A, Sensenich FP propeller
pilotforfun2001@yahoo.com
VAF supporter $$$