Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > My RV Build Project
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2020, 12:55 AM

Default Porsche

That bare silver Porsche frame looks like it is ready for wings!

Nice work on the RV cowl and for doing the Right Thing.
Building RV-6A #22320 O-320 FP. Wings and tail complete, working on fuselage
Flying my Aeroprakt A-22 STOL and the aero club's RV-9A while I build
Old 04-13-2020, 12:22 AM

Thanks Paul
2020 paid
Old 04-13-2020, 12:44 AM

A while back, whilst trying to decide what coms to put in this thing, I found a local ad from a guy selling basic 2.25" mount radios for a few hundred dollars a pop. His name was Frank, and he had a stock of 25kHz-spaced stuff which he was getting from Germany after Europe went to 8.33kHz spacing. I figured one of these would suffice until I'd flown the aircraft enough to decide whether I wanted to keep it or otherwise.

Frank sorted me out with a Becker unit, which I wired to a Signtronics intercom which I had laying around. I couldn't get sound to come out, so, suspecting the intercom was duff, I changed the intercom to another Sigtronics box, but the improvement was marginal. I wasted a lot of time trying to get it to work, and didn't really learn much in the process.

So went back to Frank and asked him to build me a harness (which I, at first, called a 'loom', much to his Germanic delight). Somewhere along the line the Becker, and some extra money, was swapped for two Dittels of the same 2.25" format, and a PMA-4000 intercom.

Yesterday I tried to install it into the aircraft, only to discover I'd spaced the holes in the insert panel too far apart, meaning the radios did not clear the mounting brackets. Difficult to explain, but it meant I had to make another insert panel.

My local powdercoat place is a massive rip-off, so not wanting to go that route again, I looked into alternative finished for the new part. Realizing that I had a whole load of epoxy leftover from the cowl repair, and some carbon fiber left over from my Cri-Cri instrument panel years back, I decided to laminate the aluminum with it. I lightly spray-glued the panel, carefully laid it onto the carbon (as not to disturb the weave), then epoxied over it with a foam brush. The next morning, I took a razor blade and cut around the edges. The end result is crisp, and I'm really happy with it.

I might do some other bits of the interior in this finish.

Also, yesterday, flew to Victorville KVCV to gawk at Covid-grounded airliners with a friend (who just completed his Airbus rating and is not flying any time soon). Anyway, he has a nice RV-4. Check out all this equipment just sitting there, costing...

2020 paid

Last edited by jamlip : 04-13-2020 at 12:49 AM.
Old 04-13-2020, 01:44 AM

Eerie pics
Nevertheless beautiful, pity they don?t match my natural eye field format which is horizontal

And a good thing you still have that -4 (and allowed to fly it)

http://www.aerofun.ch

RV-6.9 #25685, slider, O-360-A3A (carb/dual Lightspeed II), MTV-12-B, HB-YLL owner & lover
RV-4 #2062 HB-YVZ airframe builder
Old 04-16-2020, 02:09 AM

Big progress today.

I've been putting off, for months now, making the little L-brackets that tie the floor stringers to the spar box. Just a fiddly job that wasn't going to produce any exciting end result.

Today I decided to get on it. The reason being, I just had a slab poured for a housing addition and I really can't be bothered to start framing it. This is some high-functioning procrastination.

Here's one of the brackets. The larger hole and notch is to clear existing rivets. My hands are a disgrace, sorry.

Cowl fitted up. It's not a nice user experience, like my RV-4, it's a real ****fight to get it on and off. That's not going to change without re-riveting all the piano hinge, which I'm not going to do.

Still fettling the gaps around the front. Added some flox and rough blocked it back to shape. It looks about ready to go, so the next task is to to high-build primer the whole thing and start the final sanding.

The reason I did so much work on the plane today. The slab is calling. IGNORE, IGNORE...

Back to the good stuff - here's the end result of that coms panel remake...

2020 paid

Last edited by jamlip : 04-16-2020 at 02:17 AM.
Old 04-16-2020, 06:22 AM

You are a brave man to undertake a room addition on your home while rebuilding an airplane! Hats off to you.

-Marc
Old 04-16-2020, 08:53 PM

Default Brackets

It's worth putting in the floor stringer brackets because it will help reduce risk of smoking belly rivets. The plans and instructions are a bit lacking in detail for this item, as well as the brace for the inner two floor stringers, so I think some builders can miss them.

That looks like quite a big slot in your bracket so not sure what rivets it is clearing? I am working on that area at the moment and the bracket has one 3/16 hole to attach to the spar box, and two short AN3 bolts through the floor stringer. The longer leg of the F-699 bracket tapers down from the spar to the floor stringer per plans page 46 top left corner.
Building RV-6A #22320 O-320 FP. Wings and tail complete, working on fuselage
Flying my Aeroprakt A-22 STOL and the aero club's RV-9A while I build
Old 04-17-2020, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plummit View Post
You are a brave man to undertake a room addition on your home while rebuilding an airplane! Hats off to you.

-Marc
I am an idiot.
2020 paid
Old 04-23-2020, 12:49 AM

Well the RV-4 sold today to the first viewer. I don't feel particularly happy about it - I love that aircraft. It was my gateway to aviation in the US and I have lots of happy memories attached to it. It was also mega to fly.

The buyer brought along Lars Pedersen, of this parish, for the pre-buy. Lars also looked around my 6, having seen in in the past when it was in pieces and had a cobweb for an electrical system. He seemed to like how it was coming along. I enjoyed seeing Lars' well-travelled RV-7, which is a lovely build and has some nice kit on it.

Anyway, now I need to turbo-on with the 6. No point owning an aircraft that doesn't function as a flying device.

The cowling is looking better. Like, stripped of paint, but at least the gaps are half decent now, and the front doesn't look like someone attacked it with a shotgun. I'm finding it easier to get the cowl on and off the aircraft, too - you just have to learn each aircraft's little 'dance routine' as David Howe put it whilst talking on the phone a few days ago. David has been a great counsellor for many parts of this job.

Got tiddler to help me with the gear fairings. He was actually quite interested in it all. There's an ulterior motive for his enthusiasm for airport visits since Signature have free cookies and we always walk across the ramp to get one.

I left him alone with the sanding block for 15 seconds and he scoured a bunch of lines into the face of the prop. No point getting angry with him. When he's older I will point them out to him at every given opportunity for the purposes of emotional blackmail. Silver linings, etc.
2020 paid

Last edited by jamlip : 04-23-2020 at 01:03 AM.
Old 04-23-2020, 06:53 PM

Congrats on your sale.

Also, condolences on your sale.

My wife limits my airplanes to two, so whenever I eye an additional airplane I consider selling my -4...the thoughts are never easy so I imagine the sale wouldn't be a delightful experience.
RV-4 / PA28-180