camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2020, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cderk View Post
Michael -

Don?t worry about it. You can fix it no problem. Just take it slow and be patient. At the end, it will not look perfect, but hopefully your painter can take care of that. I did something similar. Here is my screwup. This is a lot worse than yours... this is my fuel tank - wing slipped while moving the plane to the airport.

My issue is that it compromised the tank and leaked like crazy. I was able to fix this in about 3 hours.

This is encouraging...Thanks

RV-7 Slider #74572
Started 11/2016
Empennage completed 11/2016 (sans fiberglass)
Ailerons and flaps completed 3/2017.
Wings completed 12/2017
Started on QB fuselage 01/2018
Sliding canopy mostly completed 10/2020
Wiring and Avionics harness completed 9/2/2021
FWF Started 9/3/2021

Donated for 2021 and so should you
Old 03-15-2020, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJay View Post
Look at my tag line!
Accidents happen. I agree with others. Hopefully the "sick to your stomach" feeling is gone and you are seeing a brighter light today.
I wish I was closer as I would come and help you when you need a second hand. Still an option if the weather is decent.
You're only about an hour flight for me and I love the Joseph area. One of the prettiest in the State.
Your invited to visit Joseph anytime...I even have a hangar to put your -6 in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Bourget View Post
That looks workable with a rubber mallet and a "custom" bucking-backing bar for the trailing edge. Use a "fresh" rubber mallet. One that's sat on the bench in the sunlight for awhile will act like a metal hammer as far as the aluminum is concerned.

The toughest task is the "fold line" along the rib in Pictures #5&6.

Not sure what to say about what appears to be a depression in the skin (Picture #2) just forward of the trailing edge - would need more pictures.

In pictures 3 & 4, return the "dip" to normal profile first. Leave it in and it will work against your further efforts. Use a "custom ground" bucking bar ground to the radius.

In picture #4, once the dip is restored, I'd start with an offset bucking bar on the shop head of the rivet and attempt a "push" with the heel of your hand to get a feel. Or judicious use of the rubber mallet. Keep the force low, almost like your trying NOT to move the metal. Make haste slowly and you may stay in front of creating more complications for yourself. Fixing this will take less time, overall, than it will take to rebuild the part.

finally, is the black line on the trailing edge of the rib, just that or a crack?

Go patiently and you'll have better luck.

If you have more questions PM me with your phone #

FWIW
Thanks for the tips. The black line on the trailing edge rib is just streaked primer.

RV-7 Slider #74572
Started 11/2016
Wings completed 12/2017
FWF Started 9/3/2021

Old 03-16-2020, 12:46 AM

Default Damage

I suggest giving Vans a call. Trying to straighten skin is difficult and time consuming. It is often quicker to replace a skin than try to straighten one that is bent.
Van dinged a wing skin on his latest build and replaced it rather than trying to straightened it. That plane is now flying.
The factory tries hard to keep replacement part costs reasonable. We have all been there. I have lots of scrap in my hanger, a good reminder to take my time on each step.

JIM Frisbie
RV-9A. 850 hrs
RV-10 in process
Old 03-16-2020, 01:12 PM

Well, I have to admit that I've done as bad or even worse. In fact, I recently did. Two wings damaged at the same time, with both wingtip-end leading edge skins and outermost ribs bent when the cradle they were stored in broke and came apart, dropping them onto the concrete floor. Ugh. At any rate... No one is immune, and know that you have some moral support from those of us who suffer similarly. You're not alone in the wing-dent-repair club!

Building RV-8A since Sept 2014
Dual AFS 5600, Avidyne IFD 440, Whirlwind 74RV, Superior XP IO-360
VAF build thread - Flickr photo album - Project Facebook page
Aurora, OR (EAA Chapter 105)

Old 03-17-2020, 03:37 PM

Default More sympathy

I feel your pain as i had my stabilizer, elevator ready for paint.

the whole unit slipped off the table i was working on and hit the only sharp object on the floor, consequently a rip appeared in the elevator. I will replace that with a new skin.

As for your bends there, i have had great luck in straightening those out with a body dolly(auto) and small hammer. You must be careful though as too much hammer and you will stretch the aluminum. If you look for detents and hammer each side of the they will encourage out.

Carfell careful or the metal just wrinkles.

Dave
Wings complete

Dynon installed and running
Fuse closer to completion, Canopy complete
AME reviewed and repaired O-320-Lyc installed
Old 03-17-2020, 05:24 PM

I was literally walking the HS for the -10 across the ramp to the paint shop and drug one of the tips on the asphalt, leaving a nasty rash. Ten steps forward, one back.

And there was the time one of the -6's wings fell off of the wing jig while under construction. That left a mark.
2019(?) RV-10
Old 03-17-2020, 05:36 PM

Unhappy More Damage

Well I walked into the shop today and the light was just right to see some more damage on the wingtip.

It looks like when the wing fell off the sawhorse the wing hit the cement floor right on the spar.

I spoke with Van's about this today and they said to work the deformed rib out and if needed put some gussets on the rib.

RV-7 Slider #74572
Started 11/2016
Wings completed 12/2017
FWF Started 9/3/2021

Last edited by mfleming : 03-17-2020 at 05:37 PM. Reason: correct spelling