-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 03-13-2020, 12:00 PM

My sister lives in Tampa and said she heard the same on the local TV news.
Currently flying a C172
Old 03-13-2020, 12:39 PM

It's official now -- SnF has updated their FB page confirming the slip to 5-10 May.
WAR EAGLE!
Old 03-13-2020, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggibson25 View Post
Dan,

Great input, and I agree on several levels, not so much on others. I think thinning the airshow back is needed, and as the guy who does the whole thing let me tell you, it would be a welcome break! But you're right, it does draw a crowd. What I have noticed is that people who are there for what you guys love pretty much ignore the show. What if we just had a few really hot acts on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday for say, 2.5 hours, and saved the big stuff for the "stroller derby" on the weekend? Half the week for the true aviators, and the other half for the casual enthusiasts that have the kids we want to engage? Interested in the group's opinion.
I really dont want to derail this thread to something it didnt start as, I have a couple of Ideas along the lines that have been floated about so i will send you and email with a few thoughts. i Really do enjoy SNF, It just didnt set real well where it has headed the last few years. there has to be a solution that will fit the business model, and keep it true to its roots.

bob burns
N82B rv4
Old 03-13-2020, 04:11 PM

Default I started this thread

I am the one that started this thread about the possibility of Sun & Fun closing die to the virus.
But I have privately communicated with Sun & Fun that the home built community was very, very unhappy with how the show has turned into something different.

I suggest members air it out. Because the Sun & Fun people feel what they are doing is twisted out of shape by us. I have read many threads on this forum about how people feel about Sun & Fun.

I would like to know what is right and what is it going to be in the future.
Thanks, Larry

RV-14 tail, QB Fuselage, Finish kit, QB wings and FF kit, Thunderbolt 390, Hartzell C/S Blended Airfoil. Just need to finish... 90% left to go
Grateful to pay dues 21'

[/size]
Old 03-13-2020, 05:49 PM

RV-10, #41942, N?????, Project Sold
---------------------------------------------------------------------
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Lyc. O-360 carbed, HARTZELL BA CS Prop, Dual P-MAGs, Dual Garmin G3X Touch
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)
Like EAA Chapter 1494 on Facebook
Old 03-13-2020, 06:44 PM

To Greg (realizing Brian posted his statement),
Greg,
Thanks for providing a balancing voice to this whole discussion. I think you (Sun N Fun) has made a responsible choice. I hope this event happens at some point this year.. I?ll make every effort to be there, whether this year or next. I?m grateful you are listening to the concerns of our group dealing with home built camping/parking issues. And I hope you can get back to the grass roots level of older time Sun N Fun flyins. I think this can easily coexist with the needs of the Aeropace Center for Excellence. Limiting the Bling (high energy airshow element) may make things a little more enjoyable for everyone - your ACE students included.
RV4/bought 2016/sold/2017
RV8/2018 built/Sold(sadly)
RV4/bought 2019 Flying
RV6/Used kit purchased 2021 building
Cincinnati, OH/KHAO
JAN2021
Old 03-13-2020, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n82rb View Post
I really dont want to derail this thread to something it didnt start as, I have a couple of Ideas along the lines that have been floated about so i will send you and email with a few thoughts. i Really do enjoy SNF, It just didnt set real well where it has headed the last few years. there has to be a solution that will fit the business model, and keep it true to its roots.

bob burns
N82B rv4
Bob,

I'd welcome that, and am anxious to get some of these ideas in play! It's a big field and a long week, plenty of room for everyone with the right strategy.

Greg
Old 03-13-2020, 07:12 PM

Default SUN 'n FUN - Now in May!

New VAF friends - I've been telling everyone I can what a great forum this is. Very forthright and candid, with great input and dialog. I really like being here and am just thrilled with the great ideas I've read in such a short time. Please keep the PMs and emails coming. I've already shared them with my team and we are getting some traction.

I'm pleased and terrified to confirm what was recently posted on our new dates. It's a big deal to move an event like this, but we are going to go for it. I'd like to ask you all to consider coming and bring your friends. This virus has sent the world into madness, and has put our little Fly-In in jeopardy. We've built a war chest since 2012 that was designed to help us get through an economic downturn, bad weather, or sequestration. But we've never planned to not have the event at all, or try to relocate it. All of our programs are at risk, and even the Fly-In itself. The DOD stand down is another hurdle, so now to boot we will have no military assets. So guess what? I'm betting there is a ton of room for homebuilts! I am redrawing the field and redesigning the airshow as I write this. Hopefully everyone we had in the show will be able to come and we can fulfill our commitments. With no military we have about 30 minutes a day back from the airshows. FAA, ATC, and all components have confirmed they can support the new dates, and I am resubmitting the waivers and rewriting the NOTAM.

By the way, I have gotten word that we will have a Pilot NOTAM from the FAA that will allow non-ADS-B Out aircraft to come to SnF unhindered. I will post it here on Monday or Tuesday when I get it. They really want to help us.

We're on, but it will be interesting to see what turnout we get. I'll be a little busy for a while, so please don't think I have just tuned out on you if I don't post for a while. If the virus has started to settle down and you feel it is safe to do so, I hope you can all join us May 5-10. We need you!

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Greg
Old 03-13-2020, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironflight View Post
Well Disney just announced it is closing the Florida parks....its hard to see how SnF can ignore that action....

BTW Greg - very glad to see you engaging with folks here and elsewhere, and hate to see the cards that you have to play on this hand....
Thanks, Paul.
Old 03-14-2020, 01:22 PM

Default Thanks for the hard work, good luck....

...and see you there! Just made hotel reservations. The hotels hadn?t had time to jack the rates, or to impose nasty cancellation penalties or minimum stays. A hidden benefit of the rescheduling!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggibson25 View Post
New VAF friends - I've been telling everyone I can what a great forum this is. Very forthright and candid, with great input and dialog. I really like being here and am just thrilled with the great ideas I've read in such a short time. Please keep the PMs and emails coming. I've already shared them with my team and we are getting some traction.

I'm pleased and terrified to confirm what was recently posted on our new dates. It's a big deal to move an event like this, but we are going to go for it. I'd like to ask you all to consider coming and bring your friends. This virus has sent the world into madness, and has put our little Fly-In in jeopardy. We've built a war chest since 2012 that was designed to help us get through an economic downturn, bad weather, or sequestration. But we've never planned to not have the event at all, or try to relocate it. All of our programs are at risk, and even the Fly-In itself. The DOD stand down is another hurdle, so now to boot we will have no military assets. So guess what? I'm betting there is a ton of room for homebuilts! I am redrawing the field and redesigning the airshow as I write this. Hopefully everyone we had in the show will be able to come and we can fulfill our commitments. With no military we have about 30 minutes a day back from the airshows. FAA, ATC, and all components have confirmed they can support the new dates, and I am resubmitting the waivers and rewriting the NOTAM.

By the way, I have gotten word that we will have a Pilot NOTAM from the FAA that will allow non-ADS-B Out aircraft to come to SnF unhindered. I will post it here on Monday or Tuesday when I get it. They really want to help us.

We're on, but it will be interesting to see what turnout we get. I'll be a little busy for a while, so please don't think I have just tuned out on you if I don't post for a while. If the virus has started to settle down and you feel it is safe to do so, I hope you can all join us May 5-10. We need you!

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Greg
2021 Dues Paid