to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2020, 09:58 PM

Flew some exercises for a video:
* Stalls in 45? bank with the recovery in that same bank;
* Slow Dutch rolls, 1?/sec roll rate on entry and exit -- really hard;
* Fast Dutch rolls
And some other stuff. Video looks good, will be used by an international magazine.
Vaccines kept me out of the hospital but COVID still cost me a month of living, all told...
Old 03-08-2020, 10:18 PM

Default Panel Work

Installed wig-wag module for Flyleds and patched some old panel holes with a carbon fiber bezel around avionics stack.

2022 Dues Paid
Old 03-08-2020, 11:14 PM

Cleaned all around it. In the three years we've been in our hangar home, we've let the hangar area get out of control. Been chipping away at this on the weekends for a while now, building new shelving, and now slowly going through all the junk. I think one or two more weekends and it's going to look like properly organized out there.

By then I'll have a new 4x8 work table built, at which point I can take the wings off their cart and start working on closing them up. Top skins have been on for a while (ie years), now that the fuselage is as done as it can be until I get lots of systems work done, it's time to get the wings wrapped up.
Old 03-09-2020, 06:47 AM

Riveted the sub panel in, and the aft rear top panel on.
Old 03-09-2020, 09:41 AM

I got to exercise my airplane a bit on Saturday. I hadn’t flown my RV in over three weeks due to work, weather, vacation, and messing with the Bonanza some. I flew south about 30 miles, got some cheap AVGAS @ $3.65/g and did some aerobatics on the way back. G tolerance was down so I kept it under 4g.

Not RV related, but took the Bonanza up to Chilhowee so that my son could exercise his recently acquired Private Pilot Glider rating. He took me up for a ride and then took Momma. Pretty weird and cool to be flying in an aircraft with my son that I’m not qualified to fly!

Last edited by RV8Squaz : 03-09-2020 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Added photos.
Old 03-09-2020, 10:32 AM

Started the dirty job of sealing the air gaps at the inter-baffles. Looking to finish the FWF in the next few weeks.

Pazmany PL-1 N2029 (bought & sold)
RV7 - N537TC (reserved & building)
Emp, Wings & Fuse done - working on FWF

"The air is an extremely dangerous, jealous and exacting mistress. Once under the spell most lovers are faithful to the end, which is not always old age." - Winston Churchill
Old 03-09-2020, 05:33 PM

I really like the Permatex Ultra Black. I've used it for gap sealing lots of high heat areas. One tip that could be useful for you: If you dip your finger in water (or spit on your finger), you can smooth the Ultra Black into a nice even fillet. This doesn't make my gap seals any better; it just satisfies my inner OCD.
=VAF= donor 2021
Old 03-10-2020, 08:58 PM

Default KDWH T31 KORK KBDQ KXNX KTHA KDKX

We flew just under a thousand NM for the "weekend".

We left Houston KDWH Thursday (3/5) mid day and flew to Aero Country (T31). Overnight stop to pick up gear and short visit with Taco and Cannon.

Friday another short hop to North Little Rock to have dinner with Slats. Bill, Sandy and I went to Doe's and shared a 3lb steak. YUM.

N174RT in Bill's hangar. THANKS.

Sandy enjoying the last of the steak. Hard to tell that the bone is at least 2" thick.

I've done some "gaggle" flying but I'm not trained for formation flying, so N174RT was tail end Charlie (about 1/2 mile in trail) for a flight of 5 RV's from KORK to Morrilton (KBDQ) for Saturday morning breakfast hosted by EAA 1590.
Runup complete:

Breakfast Hangar:

We topped the fuel tanks in KBDQ and headed to Gallatin TN to visit my first cousin and her husband.
Sunrise in Gallatin:

We tentatively planned to fly to East Tennessee on Sunday but did not plan well for renting a car. We like to fly in and out of Knoxville Downtown Island (KDKX) and discovered (AGAIN) that except for McGee Tyson the rental car companies close early on Saturday and are closed on Sunday. SOOO, we flew to Tullahoma TN, borrowed the courtesy car and went to Lynchburg for a tour and tasting at Jack Daniels.

Sunset in Tullahoma:

Monday morning we flew from Tullahoma to Knoxville Downtown Island where our rental car was waiting for us. No more flying planned for the next week, in part due to weather and in part to visit friends and family.

Regards,

N174RT (RV-7A) first flight 5/31/11, 1890hrs as of Sept 2021:
Tip-up, Lycon IO-360 EXP, WW 74HRT, AFS 5600T, AF-Pilot, IFD440, SL-30, echoUAT, D100 for backup, CQ1 headsets, CMW E-Lift

Our other riveted aluminum monocoque RV is a 2012 25' Eddie Bauer Airstream

Past aluminum monocoque vehicles:
N601RT (CH601HDS) First flight 5/03, 1550hrs after flying 8 years: 912ULS, GNS430W, SL-30, D10A Sold
1995 Midnight Pearl NSX w/BBSC Sold

EAA Chapter 105 board member 2010->2015
Old 03-10-2020, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Thoma View Post
We flew just under a thousand NM for the "weekend".

Regards,
I am jealous. You guys cover good grounds. Let me know when you are heading toward my mountain.

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 03-11-2020, 08:13 AM

Flew 521NM non stop from VCT (Victoria, TX) to ELP (El Paso, TX) to see my son and his family. He is a Chinook pilot in the Army. This was my first long trip in the RV-6A. The trip took 3.5 hours and burned 25.6 gallons. I still had 12.4 gallons of fuel left in the tank when I arrived. This aircraft has got some legs. Very thrilled with its performance and looking forward to longer flights.

El Paso approach had me following a commercial jet for a #2 slot for landing and asked me to slow down to 150 knots. Never had that happen to me when I used to fly my Cessna.
Victoria, TX