Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > My RV Build Project
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2020, 07:36 AM

Back to the starter: most aviation starters are repurposed automotive parts repackaged in a aviation appropriate casting so it can be mounted to an aircraft engine.

Since this is an experimental,just take the starter to your local auto electric repair shop and have it repaired. That way you won't need to wait for shipping and return. Easy peisie!
Old 02-28-2020, 09:42 PM

Thanks Boyd. After a bit of testing, I ascertained it was the solenoid that had gone out. A bit of googling showed that it came from a late model Crown Vic, so off I went to Car Quest, who had one in stock.

Turns out the Crown Vic solenoid is for a SkyTec starter, and mine is a plain old Textron Boat Anchor. It's close, but not the same.

After much pondering about whether to throw another $500 into the bottomless pit for a new lightweight starter, a friend (who is building an RV-8 with all the nice bits on it) kindly offered his preloved Boat Anchor for free. So that made up my mind.

Another bit of good news that I forgot to mention earlier - after calling around many prop shops and being quoted anything from 4k for an overhaul to 15k for a new prop, I found a place called Golden State Propeller in San Luis Obispo. As luck would have it, they service the big kit at Palm Springs Air Museum, and had a truck travelling down to drop off a P-51 prop.

So my Hartzell went back on their empty truck. They checked it over, deemed it in decent condition (it has only flown 110 hours after all), did the eddy current inspection for $125 and offered to return it on the next visit in a few weeks. I couldn't wait to have it back, so flew to KSBP, rolled it up in sleeping back, wedged it in the back of the RV-4 and flew it home.

A big shout out to Golden State Prop for wonderful service, and for not treating me like a cash machine.
2020 paid

Last edited by jamlip : 02-28-2020 at 09:48 PM.
Old 03-01-2020, 12:45 AM

Next thing on the list - this one makes me feel really itchy...

I heard, somewhere down the line, that this aircraft was built for the first owner by a Vans serial offender. As such, the overally build quality is really nice.

Allegedly, the owner (clearly not a serial offender) then finished the project himself (including wiring, which is how I ended up buying the aircraft as as rewire project).

There are lots of detail bits that let the aircraft down, and these screw points at the front of the cowl are one of the worst.

I'm not sure what was going through this person's mind, but it looks like they cut the overlapping tab off one side of the cowling and then 'rectified' the issue by reattaching some ratty aluminium plates with a hundred wonky-*** screws. Unfortunately, being a tailwheel version, this foul mess ends up proudly displayed directly at eye level.

I removed the cluster of screws and the messy aluminum plates, and am now wondering what to do to cover it up (that doesn't involve filling, sanding and repainting the entire upper and lower cowl).

So far my ideas have gone as far as a stainless cover plate, or filling the holes with white epoxy as I did in order to work the air vent duct around the rudder pedal assembly.

This shouldn't matter, but it does. It's such a sad sight and sets a bad tone that isn't really indicative of the rest of the machine.

Any thoughts or ideas greatly appreciated...

2020 paid

Last edited by jamlip : 03-01-2020 at 12:49 AM.
Old 03-02-2020, 08:58 AM

Default fill

I would sand it down to bare fibreglass in that area and then fill the holes with epoxy and flox but know that's not your goal. I would also countersink the holes a bit before filling to increase the strength.

Perhaps cover the area with clear tape and make a fibreglass patch over top?

A stainless plate would also look nice but you'll prob want to fill those holes in some how

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGQ..._as=subscriber

"Stu"
Snowbird #?
Moose Jaw, SK
7A #70015 - C-FZQX - built - sold
7A #71629 - C-FSIS - built - sold across Atlantic
7 #70215 - C-GOJU - flying - sold
7 #70703 - C-GMIY - flying - sold
6 #60119 - C-FHBZ - built - Airventure 2016 Bronze Lindy - sold
8 #82842 - C-FSBG - built - sold
4 #2723 - C-GVBX - built - flying!!!!

Last edited by sjhurlbut : 03-02-2020 at 09:37 AM.
Old 03-02-2020, 07:25 PM

I would fill the holes completely, then lay up some glass on the bottom cowl to make a new tab. It isn't hard or itchy! Let me know if you want help and I can bring my fiberglassing stuff and get it started.

I have some photos of my cowling and how I built up some tabs for the outer sides of the cowl overlap, and my hinge pin covers, which are flush mounted. The overlap on the outer sides helps with keeping the engine cool. It keeps the pressure differential high between the baffled/unbaffled sides of the engine.

More photos and captions here:
https://www.overthehills.com/RV-9A-P...h-Kit/Cowling/
APRS Tracking for KJ6YRP and Flying Over the Hills Blog
2021 VAF donator
EAA Tech Counselor, Pre Buys, Build assistance - canopy/tanks/fiberglass/electrical/repairs
Old 03-04-2020, 01:16 PM

Thanks Stu and Bruce.

Bruce - beautiful work. I'm PM'ing you now!
2020 paid
Old 03-18-2020, 03:18 PM

Some fiberglass stuff and a few other odds and sods arrive from Spruce. Once the cowling is done, the aircraft will be ready for a Condition Inspection.

I have sort of been ignoring the last detail up till now - I need to start thinking about selling my beloved RV-4. I can't have (shouldn't have, don't need) two RVs.

I'm not going to advertise it properly just yet as I have a few little things to fix up on it. But if you're in the market for a decent 180hp RV-4 and have found this, well done.

General overview: Built 1987, 1050 hours TTAF (has incomplete logs from before my ownership), GRT Sport EX glass, Catto three blade prop, KLX 135A GPS Com. California aircraft since built, with neat Bakersfield / Harmon history. Flies as an RV-4 should - beautifully. Willing to deliver anywhere in CONUS at cost. $49k.
2020 paid

Last edited by jamlip : 03-20-2020 at 02:47 AM. Reason: brevity
Old 03-20-2020, 02:45 AM

2020 paid
Old 04-11-2020, 12:44 AM

Cowl update.

After much deliberation, I concluded that the cowl just really let the whole aircraft down. The way it had been butchered with all the screw holes, and how they sat perfectly at eye-level, proudly displaying a total disregard for craftsmanship... It was just garbage.

I figured, given how much time I've been working on this thing, the only way was The Right Way. So I bought some fiberglass supplies and got to work.

On the bottom of the lower cowling were two exit holes for some home-made exhaust system. The aircraft has a Vetterman system on it now, and these had since been covered with aluminum plate. You couldn't see them when the aircraft was parked, but I knew they were there and didn't like it.

I took two pieces of cardboard, rubbed them with wax, and taped them over the holes.

Then I laid upfour layers of bid on the inside.

Once dry, I skimmed the outside with flox paste, block sanded it down, skimmed it with a thin film of body filler, then blocked it from 40 through to 320 grit.

On the front end, I added back the screw tabs that had been cut off, and filled the dozen or so screw holes with flox.

I also added in the outer tabs that Bruce had suggested in his earlier post. To get the shape right, I joined the halves together and worked inside the cowl, brushing on melted wax (from a blue birthday candle) to stop the epoxy sticking to the lower cowl.

Then I began fettling the gaps. My day job is photographing stuff for car manufacturers, so I am slightly neurotic about shut lines and reflection lines in vehicles.

Several years ago I restored a '68 Porsche 912. The shell went back to bare metal for crash and rust repairs, and after that I epoxy primed it and block-sanded it for paint. Video of that here! https://youtu.be/wT37apmGdLY

Prepping bodywork is filthy and time-consuming, but I found the process extremely cathartic (to the point where I think I'd be quite happy to do it every day as a job). The end result really is worth all the effort.

Anyway, doing this cowl today took me right back to that state of mind. I began fiddling with the panel gaps, which were not good, and then things started to work out. They're not as beautiful David Howe's Harmon Rocket (Hi David), but they're significantly better than they were and should make this aircraft a lot easier on the eye. Here's the end result...
2020 paid

Last edited by jamlip : 04-11-2020 at 01:03 AM.
Old 04-11-2020, 12:45 AM

Next step is to hang the thing on the aircraft, fit the nutplates, hit it with 320 grit and drop it in for paint next week.
2020 paid