Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Safety
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2020, 10:55 AM

Carlos,

Figures--remember who you're working with here. Sorry about that. Give me a call any time.

Cheers,

Vac

Last edited by Vac : 01-03-2020 at 10:58 AM.
Old 01-03-2020, 10:57 AM

Default Blog

For folks that are interested in following progress in the ONSPEED project, I've got a blog up on our website: FlyONSPEED.com.

I update the blog semi-regularly to keep from choking the plumbing on Doug's safety page.

Cheers,

Vac
Old 01-12-2020, 07:06 PM

Default Making Sausage...

As we've been developing the second generation, stand-alone AOA system we've done lot's of flight test. Some of it is about as inspiring as watching paint dry (GPS speed runs to determine upwash effect on the calibrated test boom are a recent lowlight and most of a day of life I won't get back later); and some of it is a lot of fun. And all of it is better than work . Recently, I had to put together a short video demo of some of the Gen 2 capability; so I thought I'd share it, crappy anti-G straining maneuver and all: https://youtu.be/Hav7LMIeBFo

There's a lot going on inside the little ten ounce box that allows it to accurately measure absolute alpha to within a 1/4 to 1/2 degree real-time from zero lift through stall, and then damp and process that signal to generate a reliable tone that can handle high G onset rates but still provide smooth service in the base turn suitable for a primary reference for approach and landing. Hardware-wise, we are on the third version of Gen 2 (we have cleverly named it "Gen 2 V3"). This is the variant that we're producing for beta test. We are currently testing the 27th refinement of the code for this hardware.

Cheers,

Vac

Chief stick monkey enabled by a great team of hard-working volunteer engineers and aviators!

Last edited by Vac : 01-12-2020 at 07:09 PM.
Old 01-12-2020, 09:56 PM

Can?t wait to fly with it and see all the ways to try to get in trouble with it and how the tones interact with my actions.
Sadly sold my RV-8 however still trying to enjoy life by living on my airport with FREE campsites for pilots to enjoy www.facebook.com/VacaMooAirport/ & flying my OnSpeed equipped C-177 while waiting for the RV15 !

Exempt by 3 out of the 10 ways but I still donated.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:36 AM

Default Onspeed vs. G3X Audio?

I'm working on a panel upgrade to a G3X with AOA probe at the moment. I was reading a recent thread here on AOA displays, and someone mentioned the G3X audio AOA tones. How do those differ from what you get with the Onspeed audio cues? Will I benefit from having Onspeed rather than the G3X AOA audio?

Thanks!
AFP Fuel Injection & Dual SDS CPI-2 ignition
KLZU - Lawrenceville, GA
2021 Dues Paid
Old 01-24-2020, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Carter View Post
I'm working on a panel upgrade to a G3X with AOA probe at the moment. I was reading a recent thread here on AOA displays, and someone mentioned the G3X audio AOA tones. How do those differ from what you get with the Onspeed audio cues? Will I benefit from having Onspeed rather than the G3X AOA audio?

Thanks!
The G3X AOA audio is a progressive beep as AOA increases until a solid tone slightly before the stall point. This can be somewhat manipulated/tweaked by various calibration techniques.

The Onspeed concept is meticulously detailed on the website here: https://www.flyonspeed.org/onspeed-101

There is a ton of info on there to help you understand the differences.
RV-10, #41942, N?????, Project Sold
---------------------------------------------------------------------
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Lyc. O-360 carbed, HARTZELL BA CS Prop, Dual P-MAGs, Dual Garmin G3X Touch
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)
Like EAA Chapter 1494 on Facebook

Last edited by Brantel : 01-24-2020 at 10:02 AM.
Old 02-10-2020, 04:10 PM

Default 3D Audio Yaw Cues

To avoid an unintentional loss of control, the pilot has to properly control AOA, sideslip and energy. Our basic tone logic addresses AOA and energy; so recently, we've begun experimenting with 3D (stereo) audio cuing to move the tone with the ball in the slip/skid indicator to provide yaw (sideslip) cues.

Turns out the human brain is remarkably good at picking out the direction that a sound comes from. In this case, the Gen 2 box uses EFIS input or internal accelerometers to measure yaw, and when yaw is present "slew" the sound of the tone to provide the same information as the ball, i.e., what rudder input is required to eliminate sideslip. To minimize sideslip, you "step on the tone" the same way you "step on the ball" to center it up.

This feature requires either a stereo ICS or stereo headphones with bluetooth capability. The gain (i.e., how much and how perceptibly the tone moves) is adjustable. Since I'm used to flying the tone, my preference is subtle, accurate cueing; but some folks might prefer more (or less) perceptible shift.

Here's a short video clip of the system in action (you have to use a stereo speakers/headset/ear buds to hear the tone shift): https://youtu.be/3HRWToFA0dM. In some of the video, it's not possible to see the actual ball in the EFIS display due to lighting conditions, however I'm flying down-sun and my shadow on the instrument panel is helpful as is noting the motion of the aircraft nose relative to the horizon.

Thoughts or comments on the yaw cuing logic are appreciated.

Cheers,

Vac

Last edited by Vac : 02-10-2020 at 04:50 PM.
Old 02-10-2020, 06:28 PM

Default Brilliant concept!

I love this idea. Keep up the excellent work!

Dave
Old 02-10-2020, 07:41 PM

Default Sounds Good

I just watched the video wearing my iPad headset and can clearly hear the tone slew from left to right. Stepping on the tone seams intuitive.
You guys are doing a great job. Keep up the excellent work!
2021 Dues Gladly Paid
A new pilot having fun!
Old 02-11-2020, 05:33 AM

Excellent concept
I wish it was able to be used with my Advanced Flight Systems AOA

Amekler 2009 RV10
RV-12 in progress