- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-28-2020, 09:36 AM

Default Covers for storing outside

I stored my RV7A outside for about a year and a half and covers are a must in my opinion along with good gust locks.

I am in a hangar now and don?t need the covers. If you?re interested, I could sell you the winter wing covers and horizontal stab covers for half of what I paid plus shipping. Say $350...
Old 01-28-2020, 10:21 AM

Homemade gust locks like these are what we used on Navy flying club aircraft for years. Cheap, easy to make and spreads stress loads from sudden big gusts over larger areas:

http://pages.suddenlink.net/lloyd_stearns/gustlock.htm

This RV-4 had apparently been parked in that tiedown all (2013-2014) winter in Talkeetna, AK. Other than some rust on the tailwheel hardware, it didn't look any worse for wear.

Last edited by N804RV : 01-28-2020 at 10:32 AM.
Old 01-29-2020, 07:10 AM

Lightbulb Learning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv8bldr View Post
I would be careful of this. While true 99% of the time, I have seen high winds force an RV-8 rudder out of the tailwheel lock and slam into an elevator. I would highly recommend a rudder lock given the cost of a lock compared to replacing the rudder.....

My $0.02
Great point. If I decided to keep my plane outside full time I'd likely do several things:

1. Consider my environment - windy? freezing temperatures? rain?
2. See what others are doing who FLY REGULARLY.
3. Even if I didn't fly, check on my plane regularly and consider storing it outside a temporary situation. Driving 30 mintutes farther to my plane in a hangar, or at least under a shelter would be worth it to me.
4. Contact my local EAA Chapter and introduce myself as a "student of all things experimental" and make some new friends! Stocking the club house with drinks and buying pizza for the next EAA meeting goes a long way to show I'm in it to have fun and participate. Often a mystery hangar space will magically come available for the "right person."

That all being said, from what I'm reading here:

1. Gust locks for all control surfaces - a must have. A normal walk around pre-flight will systematically remove them and stow them in a "go bag" that stays in the car or in the aircraft if weight and balance allows.

2. Cowl plugs, pitot cover, and vent covers are nice if there are proper flags on them, they all fit properly/securely, and don't cause additional moisture/rain to be trapped anywhere. Walk around the airport and take a good look at the way the "locals" do it, observing which plugs and covers are in place.

3. Canopy seals. It might be worth the time invested to seal the canopy if it isn't already fairly water tight. McMaster Carr has a great selection of sealing material in a variety of shapes. Maybe there's a good thin material that can be put in to seal the front of the canopy when the plane is parked to make double sure the instrument panel and associated area is protected.

4. Canopy cover. From what I'm reading a canopy cover really isn't meant for long term storage (more than a few days). What canopy covers do well is protect from intense sun or heavy rain when out away from home base and tying down for a night. They also keep wandering eyes from looking at things inside the canopy they shouldn't be tempted by... The last thing I'd want to do is cloud my nice clear canopy with a rubbing cover, that's at least half the reason I fly an RV, the visibility!

5. Consider interior reflective material to protect the canopy. I use Plexis on the outside of the canopy plastic to make it hydrophobic.

6. Protect the paint. I wax the paint on my plane, which protects it from the elements and makes bugs come off easily. Mine is hangared, but when I'm flying it's exposed, and I hope to be flying a lot this year!

Let us know what works for you guys who are doing this and having it work for you. I bet there's more RVs being parked on the ramp than we know about. It's been something people don't like to talk about since a hangar is the preferred parking place.

Launching from SC45
Old 01-29-2020, 10:13 AM

My RV-7A is currently tied down outside until hangars become available. I have a Bruces cover and the Anti-splat gust lock. After heavy rain storms I was getting some water in the cockpit, pushed through the cover. I think some was getting in the sliding canopy steel tubing through the pop rivets, so i covered them with good 3M electrical tape (plane not painted yet). You may find that you need to drill more drain holes in the fuselage.
Old 01-29-2020, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinTiger View Post

5. Consider interior reflective material to protect the canopy. I use Plexis on the outside of the canopy plastic to make it hydrophobic.
My reseach indicates that interior reflective material will quickly break down the acrylic. No personal experience, jsut anecdotal data.

Larry
Old 01-31-2020, 09:40 AM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lr172 View Post
My reseach indicates that interior reflective material will quickly break down the acrylic. No personal experience, jsut anecdotal data.

Larry
That would be unacceptable...I've only witnessed other planes on the ramp using those interior reflective shades but they were certified aircraft (Mooney, Bonanza) and might have different window material than our experimental bubbles.

Definitely need more info on this...maybe Van's could help with more actual data.

Launching from SC45
Old 01-31-2020, 11:09 AM

Where in Seattle are you? An open hangar at Crest is only a couple hundred a month
Old 01-31-2020, 02:36 PM

Default Air Gizmo locks

I found these Air Gizmo locks work great for ailerons and elevator. The key is to hold the strap on the closing lever while you close it.

But I couldn't get them to hold the rudder reliably. So I made a gadget out of PVC pipe that goes over the top of the tail and holds the whole thing straight. Simple, lightweight, and effective. I noticed several similar rigs at OSH (albeit with better workmanship......)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfiidon View Post
I found these control locks work great. You need three - aileron, elevator, rudder.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...iABEgKrLfD_BwE
2021 Dues Paid
Old 01-31-2020, 03:54 PM

I'll add as no one did yet, I think some masking tape the fiberglass fairing to vertical stab seam so less water intrudes. Also, on tip ups, the tip up seam.
Old 02-17-2020, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKAV8r View Post
Where in Seattle are you? An open hangar at Crest is only a couple hundred a month
Thanks for the suggestion...too far for me.

Seth
N86472