Today's view from the hangar...
With the aid of the same kind neighbor that helped me install the wings two days ago, I pulled the left wing. It turns out the end of a drilled rivet was what was pushing the spar leaves apart - especially annoying as I fastidiously vacuumed in there before sliding everything together.
The neighbor is a Fox News kind of guy, so he enjoyed the fact that the left wing had screwed everything up. What a gift.
Originally Posted by Radioflyer
Wonderful progress, James. Would really love to see closeup detail pics of the spar slid into the spar bulkhead and the NAS tolerance bolts going in. Wishing you better luck with that left wing retrofit.
I haven't tightened any of them yet. The bolts that go through the reinforcing plate are close tolerance. The ones that go through the rest of the spar are standard.
Close tolerance bolts...
Yes, THESE ARE NOT TIGHTENED!
Afterwards, I did a bit more wiring. So close, yet so much more to do.
Then I discovered that the aileron push rod tube fouls the new autopilot servo that I fitted. This is really annoying.
This is how I had it set up originally. I couldn't get full right-back stick.
So I flipped the rod end bearing over to the other side of the servo crank. This solves pretty much everything, except that at full forward-left stick the extreme angle of the AP push rod causes the rod end bearings to bind on the through-bolts.
I played with it for an hour or two, then headed home. Total of 11 hours in the hangar today.
Here's where the panel is at right now. The registration is new - I bought it, but it hasn't been assigned yet. It's my wife's favorite number, plus the first letter of her name. I have to choose numbers and letters carefully because nobody here can understand my weird accent.